• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

goatamous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first thought would be to call ebay and tell them it's a false SNAD claim
Point out how it was originally a buyer's remorse and then he made up a reason to open a SNAD because you don't accept returns

See where that gets you. This might take a few calls from your side.
I'd start with ebay before going to Paypal.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, need help on a high-value item I sold.

Sold a suit to a UK buyer. He sends a paypal echeque. Paypal says funds should clear by Nov 5, but it still shows as pending (money not in my account yet).

Buyer says he called eBay to ask why his payment was on hold. eBay tells him that because I haven’t sold anything in 6 months, they put my funds on hold until I input a tracking #.

Two issues:

1. My last sale was in September, not 6 months ago.

2. I got no message from eBay saying I need to ship the item first before they clear the payment.

Anybody encounter a similar situation? It’s a NWT Tom Ford suit, so I want to be careful about it.

Any help is appreciated!

Hey guys,

Update on this. I called ebay yesterday and they said don't ship it until funds clear. I get an email from paypal this morning that the transaction 'has failed'. Does that mean insufficient funds?

So basically:

1. The guys sends an echeque payment.
2. He asks if I shipped the item.
3. I tell him I won't ship until payment clears.
4. He says ebay told him that I have to ship it first before it will clear.
5. I call ebay, and they say don't ship until it clears, and to contact paypal.
6. Paypal emails me this morning saying transaction failed.

Sooo, was this an attempted scam?

I opened a non-payment case on the item.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone want to walk a noob through their first SNAD claim? :(

I’m so mad right now. I closed a “Doesn’t fit”’return on a pair of jeans. Guy obviously didn’t look at the measurements. The message says the jeans are too tight in a few places, and that I ticked the ‘regular fit’ box when the jeans are ‘slim fit boot cut’.

Next I get an ‘Item not as described’ message on eBay — he now says the rise measurement is off by 1”. (Doesn’t mention the other areas he said were too tight). Today I get an email from PayPal showing a negative balance, and saying my funds from eBay are on hold.

I can’t tell whether he opened a PayPal, eBay case, or both.

What do I do?

Originally, he listed the return reason as ‘doesn’t fit’, so I’m hoping someone will see through this. I’m not sure what to say about the ‘regular fit’ as that is subjective. These are just slim straight RRL jeans, not what anyone would consider listing as skinny :(
Can you link the listing?

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Point out how it was originally a buyer's remorse and then he made up a reason to open a SNAD because you don't accept returns

Thanks. Just did that, and they said he filed the not as described with PayPal, and that even though eBay would find his claim without merit, PayPal has no access to what’s in eBay’s system.

I guess I have to screenshot everything and hope for the best?

Can you link the listing?

Thanks, Wes. I would prefer to stay semi-anonymous :hide:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks. Just did that, and they said he filed the not as described with PayPal, and that even though eBay would find his claim without merit, PayPal has no access to what’s in eBay’s system.

I guess I have to screenshot everything and hope for the best?

Thanks, Wes. I would prefer to stay semi-anonymous :hide:
No problem. You could send it via PM if you want. I won't share it ......or lowball you.

kbadgley84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think @capnwes is trying for a quid pro quo...
8724CA5E-0535-442B-995B-A0F0F876B652.jpeg

drlivingston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Update on this. I called ebay yesterday and they said don't ship it until funds clear. I get an email from paypal this morning that the transaction 'has failed'. Does that mean insufficient funds?

So basically:

The only thing worse than a scammer is a brainless scammer.

txwoodworker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So basically:

Oh ****, that would have been bad. The few times I've had this happen, I feel the people genuinely think I have their money and want me to ship it, it's not until they check with whatever institution they're working with that they realize it has not gone through. I think in this case, shenanigans ensued.

clothesgamesmisc

Reaction score

I'd start with ebay before going to Paypal.

Sorry that doesn't work anymore. Best he can do is accept the return. If it arrives in it's original condition you can call ebay for a credit of up to $6.75 on a label. If the guy damaged it you can complain and maybe get a refund, but make sure it's worth it because after 2-3 in a year they will tell you to pound sand. If it's PayPal he's worse off.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
**** me.

I’m tempted to burn it all down before paying shipping there and back for a guy who can’t be bothered to read measurements.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just won an item at like $5 that's likely worth $40-$80 - small potato stuff, sure. Still, the seller instantly cancelled my purchase as a "something wrong with buyer's address" (the same address from PayPal I've bought from for years) and then relisted the item as BIN at $40.

While I know I'm not going to get it at my purchase price and, the seller being a dick, I'm not inclined to throw him $40 no matter what - still, what can I do to let other's know that, if he's not an actual scammer, he's certainly not on the up-and-up.

Never been in this situation before... looking back, I can't believe I've bought/sold as much as I have without even a hiccup.

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just won an item at like $5 that's likely worth $40-$80 - small potato stuff, sure. Still, the seller instantly cancelled my purchase as a "something wrong with buyer's address" (the same address from PayPal I've bought from for years) and then relisted the item as BIN at $40.

While I know I'm not going to get it at my purchase price and, the seller being a dick, I'm not inclined to throw him $40 no matter what - still, what can I do to let other's know that, if he's not an actual scammer, he's certainly not on the up-and-up.

Never been in this situation before... looking back, I can't believe I've bought/sold as much as I have without even a hiccup.

You're free to leave negative feedback.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads