• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no such thing. There is state sales tax.

It's new in the sense that the states are now requiring buyers to pay the tax based on where they live, rather than where they purchased things from (and requiring the platform to collect the tax, which is a hell of a lot better than forcing sellers to collect tax for every state in the union). If you go to another area and buy things at a brick & mortar, you're only going to pay the local tax, with the exception being items that are delivered to you (I discovered this recently when we bought a new mattress and got to pay a lower sales tax than the local rate because we actually don't live inside the city limits).

Here in Colorado, there are municipal, county, and state sales taxes. The base sales tax is only around 5%, while the total sales tax in Boulder is 8.845%. Where I live, it's only around 7%, which should be what I pay when I buy things on Ebay.

Speaking of which, has anyone registered their tax-exempt status (as a reseller) with Ebay? I saw a note about this on some shipping supplies that were delivered today.

What I really want to know, is how does this affect me if I have a sales tax collection license in my state. I don't receive the money for collected taxes from in-state purchases. How do I report this to the state? Am I still required to pay? I assume it'll work out when I go to report my sales tax in January, but for now I'm just not sure.

drlivingston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's new in the sense that the states are now requiring buyers to pay the tax based on where they live, rather than where they purchased things from (and requiring the platform to collect the tax, which is a hell of a lot better than forcing sellers to collect tax for every state in the union). If you go to another area and buy things at a brick & mortar, you're only going to pay the local tax, with the exception being items that are delivered to you (I discovered this recently when we bought a new mattress and got to pay a lower sales tax than the local rate because we actually don't live inside the city limits).

Here in Colorado, there are municipal, county, and state sales taxes. The base sales tax is only around 5%, while the total sales tax in Boulder is 8.845%. Where I live, it's only around 7%, which should be what I pay when I buy things on Ebay.

Speaking of which, has anyone registered their tax-exempt status (as a reseller) with Ebay? I saw a note about this on some shipping supplies that were delivered today.

What I really want to know, is how does this affect me if I have a sales tax collection license in my state. I don't receive the money for collected taxes from in-state purchases. How do I report this to the state? Am I still required to pay? I assume it'll work out when I go to report my sales tax in January, but for now I'm just not sure.

I talked to my CPA last Friday about this very issue. He read over it, shook his head in dismay, and politely said, "My services just got more expensive."

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I get lucky, in PA there is currently no sales tax on clothing. Though my CPA says to be sure if I do sell something taxable, not to send in the money because ebay is already collecting and remitting on my behalf. But to be sure to report the sales each quarter as usual.

rolledcollar

Reaction score
I noticed something peculiar today when attempting to create a listing in regards to the UPC field. This appears to be a problem only affecting some clothing categories.

Next to the UPC field there is a pop-up menu. That pop-up menu used to contain two choices: "Enter UPC/EAN/ISBN" and "Does not apply". You could either click on the first choice and type in a UPC code or click on the second choice and you would not be required to enter one.

What I noticed today was that only the first choice was available in the pop-up menu. I tried to leave the field blank but kept warnings about how a UPC code was required. This was in the men's boots category which has never required a UPC code.

Here's a workaround if you run into this problem. Into the UPC field type the following exactly as shown:

Does not apply

The form will accept that just like it would have if you had chosen it from the pop-up menu and allow you to create your listing.

Last edited:

kbadgley84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just because you can’t physically see someone doesn’t give you the right to be a *************. Block if you want but making a $6 offer off of $22 because you didn’t like shipping charges and then trying to be a **** head about it will get you blocked from mine
FD05A21A-E12B-4A2E-98A8-4C006FDF0BE7.png

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ha, no that’s not mine, but what in the actual what?

I’m so bummed I’ve been leaving old shirts, though — I never realized those old Towncraft and Arrow Chevelle(?) were worth anything.

eddiegreen

Reaction score
So, buyer opened return for the AllSaints coat, then after multiple messages stated that she will ‘keep the coat’. eBay now say she has to close the return request herself even though they read the message confirming her change of mind, so I sent her a msg asking to do so.
What will happen if she doesn’t bother going into the resolution centre to close it herself?

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So, buyer opened return for the AllSaints coat, then after multiple messages stated that she will ‘keep the coat’. eBay now say she has to close the return request herself even though they read the message confirming her change of mind, so I sent her a msg asking to do so.
What will happen if she doesn’t bother going into the resolution centre to close it herself?

Had this happen to me as well. It closes out in 30 days automatically.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads