• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

txwoodworker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Received this message from the winning bidder. Polo people....

It is a men's small btw. I looked for errors in my listing, nope, in the men's coat section of my store, men's item description, etc...

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do NOT use "Return Item", because you will have to provide a new tracking number, and it will close out in the sellers favor. You will need to wait to use "Item Not Received" or work with the seller to re-send.

Thank you!

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Received this message from the winning bidder. Polo people....
View attachment 1255277
It is a men's small btw. I looked for errors in my listing, nope, in the men's coat section of my store, men's item description, etc...
I'm pre-blocking this guy.

Out of principle.. and maybe a skosh of spite.

madeinbogota

Reaction score
Per earlier discussions, I recently sold three items by making offers to watchers. I guess it’s not a lot of data to work with, but maybe the whole Poshmark thing, where buyers expect an immediate offer when they click the watch button, is catching on.

I think I already agreed with someone who said this a few months ago, but I'll agree again: the offer system has really helped move a lot of inventory for me. Big fan of it, I just hope it doesn't become Poshmark-like where everyone lists items higher than they know they'll actually get.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hm. how do you price the offer? there's something i'm not getting this literally feels like i'm being asked to negotiate against myself

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hm. how do you price the offer? there's something i'm not getting this literally feels like i'm being asked to negotiate against myself
They want you to look at it like "Targeted discounting". But this whole thing doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If you're going to have a sale, have a sale so that everyone viewing your item knows about it. The only thing making an offer does is make SURE a few select people see that your item is discounted.

IMO you sort of are negotiating against yourself. More over I think in some cases it will just encourage lower counter offers rather than immediate sales.

YMMV
I feel I price my items fairly and competitively. If others don't, fine don't buy AND DON'T MAKE ME AN OFFER. 90%+ of the time someone will buy it sooner or later. Sure every so often there are a handful of items I over estimated the value (or I was just out right wrong to pick up), and I'll just re-list a few bucks lower. It's not that hard to figure out which items fall into that category. If after a while it doesn't move at the lower price (i.e. I was totally wrong and I've got to own that fact), I'll go to auctions and start them at a a few bucks, then they'll move (occasionally for more than the previous price).

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Huh. I’m afraid to try auctions, as everything (clothing related) I find for cheap is from an auction others missed.

But so far, I’ve sent offers on things that have watchers, but not a lot of views, or when I’m already headed to the post office and just want to move stuff. I feel compelled to get rid of things as I’ve paid $4 max and I’m only allowed 50 listings without unknown fees and headaches for setting up a store or whatever.

I’ve stopped using OBO unless I price high and there’s not much guidance from completed auctions.

That’s a good point about just lowering the price, I guess, especially if watchers will still get an alert.

txwoodworker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My last foray into auctions was pretty successful. I essentially set a floor price for the auctions, some got bid up, others not, but they all had the opportunity to get bid up, which minimizes the suspicion that I went too low. I've also relisted things after not selling at $9.99 auction at a much higher fixed price and they go a week later. It's all such a small data set though, makes it seem like magic.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll certainly be blocking this PRL “buyer”...

45E76B46-FA2D-4515-83AE-CE3E3899C495.png

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is "my house is on fire" a valid reason for return?

well, I offer returns, so no excuse is necessary. But if he tries any scams to get free return shipping, he sent this message before the jacket was delivered.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
catadactyl

Bought a NWT pair of Peter Millar Pants 38x36. Said they arrived damaged.

Returned a Used pair of Peter Millar Pants 38x35. No tags, two finger-sized holes, bleach stains, missing two buttons, spider nests built in folds from poor storage.

Apparently, I can still only withhold 50% of his payment, even though it's not the same item I sent him. i'm gonna have to call back on that one.

dad2bandm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well, I offer returns, so no excuse is necessary. But if he tries any scams to get free return shipping, he sent this message before the jacket was delivered.

Maybe the "one you sent him" will have fire marks and reek of smoke. :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads