• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RFHansen

Reaction score
Need some photography ideas guys, I've read numerous articles and tried things and I still can't get the reflection off objects, mostly sunglasses. I've got a light box built, one large light above, 1 on each side, all filtered light, nothing direct. No other lights on in the room and I'm still getting a relfection, any ideas?

Set up two heads of equal strength, each with a softbox, at 45 degree angles on either side of and at the same height as the object. Gives a flat light, but problem solved.

Or use backlight, this is me with a single lamp:

RFHansen

Reaction score
I know sales on eBay go up and down, but did any of you see something like this recently? I do GTC listings and have not uploaded any new items in a few weeks, but I still have 280+ items going. I asked an eBay rep and she told me my account hadn't been demoted or penalised in any way.

Screen Shot 2019-10-07 at 22.17.01.png

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know sales on eBay go up and down, but did any of you see something like this recently? I do GTC listings and have not uploaded any new items in a few weeks, but I still have 280+ items going. I asked an eBay rep and she told me my account hadn't been demoted or penalised in any way.

View attachment 1254535

During the time I was doing 90% GTC listings, I was seeing stuff like that pretty regularly. Sales can be very much hit or miss, with no rhyme or reason as to when things sell. Now that I'm running about 25% auctions, my results are consistently skewed towards Sundays, which is the way I like to see things. I currently have 524 active listings (136 auctions).

Screen Shot 2019-10-07 at 3.18.23 PM.png

RFHansen

Reaction score
Cool, thanks. I have just not seen anything this extreme as long as I can remember. Maybe it's just a fluke.

I tried auctions a few times, but to me that is a sure way to sell almost nothing with next to no profit. Too much trouble relisting 90-95% of my items every week. Also, I find that people who buy at auction are much more cumbersome than those who buy BINOBO.
Anyway, that's another talk.

RFHansen

Reaction score
I will see your inconsistency, and raise you.
View attachment 1254555
Had a "purge" auction last week while I was out of town, converted all my listings to auctions.

OK, you win. Interesting purge. I am curious about numbers if you care to share... number of items, start price, percentage sold, loss/profit balance.
My thinking is that it could turn into a huge loss if too many items don't get bid up.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool, thanks. I have just not seen anything this extreme as long as I can remember. Maybe it's just a fluke.

I tried auctions a few times, but to me that is a sure way to sell almost nothing with next to no profit. Too much trouble relisting 90-95% of my items every week. Also, I find that people who buy at auction are much more cumbersome than those who buy BINOBO.
Anyway, that's another talk.

The key with auctions is to start items at a price you’re comfortable selling them for. I start 7-day listings on Sundays and use the auto-relist feature to automate the process. It takes about an extra minute each week to make sure the listings that don’t sell are set to relist.

RFHansen

Reaction score
The key with auctions is to start items at a price you’re comfortable selling them for. I start 7-day listings on Sundays and use the auto-relist feature to automate the process. It takes about an extra minute each week to make sure the listings that don’t sell are set to relist.

I see. Are people willing to bid at auction even if the start price is close to a BIN price, say, $100 for a decent sport coat? Or would you then start at $75 and bet that more sold times will equal out what more you get by selling slowly?
I have not looked into the auto-relist feature. That would surely help. I found it almost unmanageable the way I did it.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My sales have been pretty steady, but I've been steadily increasing listings since May, in an effort to fund my wife's Masters Degree studies which begin in January.

Fell just $721 short of $30K for the month of September. So close I could taste it....October should have it.
Screen Shot 2019-10-07 at 6.08.44 PM.png
* international sales not accurately reflected on chart above.

Last edited:

txwoodworker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have these semi-annual purges where I move stuff that just isn't going out the door mixed in with everything else. Instead of throwing everything under the bus at $9.99, I marked everything down to something not great, but still profitable. I think there is value in having limited time listings, people get FOMO when they think it's ending and they'll never see it again. The end result was some things going for a decent price, other things going for the opening bid, which is set at what I would be willing to take anyways. It also resulted in only 114 sales from 295 auctions.

Letric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Were we still reporting people and saying "add them to the list" ? Cause I have one.

" go_712461 " Bought a pair of AE's from me. Later asked for return claiming they made a mistake with the width. I decided to be nice and accept, even though I didn't exactly have to. I asked the buyer if the shoes had been worn out at all, or just tried on indoors. They said just tried on indoors, so I accepted.

When the shoes arrived back, they were indeed the same pair of shoes I sent.. But the condition had changed. There was visible wear and dirt on the soles, scuffs and scratches on the toes and scuffs on the sides. Clearly they were worn outside on concrete for a few hours at least, if not a full day. Perhaps for a job interview or event. The ****** basically rented em.

Well luckily I'm not out the $33.50 for shipping, since I have buyers pay all shipping costs. But I am out an hour or two to restore and re-photo the shoes. I'm not making a hassle with eBay or anything, just gonna quietly re-list them and then leave that sucker one hell of a feedback after 59 days.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Need advice guys. Ordered an item from Italy, and they made a mistake on the address. Now it's being returned to sender.

When I go to the tracking page on ebay it says: Estimated delivery Monday, Sep 30, 2019 - Tuesday, Oct 22, 2019

But on the USPS tracking page, it already shows that it's heading back to Italy.

How do I go about requesting a refund, even though Ebay's tracking still shows that it's on the way? Should I ask the seller to initiate it? Or do I click on 'Return Item'? Help is appreciated!

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Per earlier discussions, I recently sold three items by making offers to watchers. I guess it’s not a lot of data to work with, but maybe the whole Poshmark thing, where buyers expect an immediate offer when they click the watch button, is catching on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads