• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone ever seen this seller's stuff? He keyword spams his listings so you think you're getting a poster. He sends you a page from the NME or Billboard that he's slapped in a cheap frame I assume he gets in bulk from China. I guess he defends it by saying it's an ad showing a promo poster. He must've made hundreds of thousands of dollars doing this. That's a sold listing for a $130 piece of newsprint from the NME.

View attachment 1239985

Is a “poster ad” a thing? I dunno, it looks exactly like something from a magazine. It seems like you wouldn’t be able to keep that sort of thing up unless you were just sitting on a huge stockpile of 80s music magazines?

A lot of people do the same thing with more regular advertisements, mostly from 80s-90s magazines.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re Ebay returns:

I just read that online shoppers return about 30% of the things they buy online. Maybe Ebay buyers are better than the average person...

goatamous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm curious if that number is skewed to places that offer easy / free returns

I accept returns, but the buyer needs to pay for return shipping. That on its own is usually a deterrent. Added bonus that I'm North, so shipping back to me costs close to what the buyer paid for the item

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I mean, it's a fixed price auction (with offers). That should, uh, probably give you an idea. Is there any point in replying to these kind of messages?

Meanwhile I used a retailer's photo (not as a main photo) as a color reference for these boots. I guess you're not supposed to do that.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1241524

I mean, it's a fixed price auction (with offers). That should, uh, probably give you an idea. Is there any point in replying to these kind of messages?

Meanwhile I used a retailer's photo (not as a main photo) as a color reference for these boots. I guess you're not supposed to do that.

You’re not supposed to, but as someone else pointed out, it’s up to the company to claim the copyright violation. The odds are pretty low that they would notice your listing.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's one for your blocklists. Apparently, this guy has a problem with people selling used shoes on Ebay...

misterman.242

C2E3F8F5-05DF-4EA8-85AC-2BF56EEE8481.jpeg

Last edited:

goatamous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, for an SNAD claim, how much weight falls on the "S" part of that?
I'm bias as a seller, of course.
I assume that buyers aren't looking for perfection when buying a used item, however I'm unsure if ebay expects that.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, for an SNAD claim, how much weight falls on the "S" part of that?
I'm bias as a seller, of course.
I assume that buyers aren't looking for perfection when buying a used item, however I'm unsure if ebay expects that.
eBay honoured a SNAD claim against me because a ties that I described three times in the ad as "mauve" turned out to be mauve when the customer got it. Apparently I'd lied with pictures, or something.

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just curious - looking for advice on shipping high value items (over $5K).
As I understand it, Fedex only insures up to $1K. Are third party insurers the way to go?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads