• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mrFurly

Reaction score
Interesting. I've bought from finequalityfineman before and been happy with it. He's very polite and quick to respond. Just to be clear, are you saying he steals people's images and makes his own listings at higher prices?
basically.

the game is you find listings that you believe you can optimize.
Looks like he cleans up the photos and titles.

When someone buys, he orders the item from the seller w/ the poor listing and they ship to you directly.
He pockets the difference.

He may actually own some of the items he list...but from a quick glance...it looks like he's drop shipping at least some of that stuff.

I had another seller contact me last month asking if I was okay with dropshipping something a customer bought from him...he wanted to make sure I didnt include any sort of paperwork indicating who the product came from.

I could care less how much he made off the transaction as a middle man...as long as I got my money.

Quesjac

Reaction score
In this case the problem is that the second seller listed the first guy's item as new. I don't want to buy something listed as new and find out it's not, regardless of who shipped it.

That seller is indeed very polite, but does seem to me to take liberties with listings (eg. listing a better maker as the manufacturer, describing items as recent or top line when they're anything but). Whether you see that as salesmanship or deception is up to you, but I wouldn't want to be on the other side of it myself.

Interesting. I've bought from finequalityfineman before and been happy with it. He's very polite and quick to respond. Just to be clear, are you saying he steals people's images and makes his own listings at higher prices?
basically.

the game is you find listings that you believe you can optimize.
Looks like he cleans up the photos and titles.

When someone buys, he orders the item from the seller w/ the poor listing and they ship to you directly.
He pockets the difference.

He may actually own some of the items he list...but from a quick glance...it looks like he's drop shipping at least some of that stuff.

I had another seller contact me last month asking if I was okay with dropshipping something a customer bought from him...he wanted to make sure I didnt include any sort of paperwork indicating who the product came from.

I could care less how much he made off the transaction as a middle man...as long as I got my money.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Poshmark lulz continue:

Noobs listing “vintage” (recent) band shirts for $500...and other noobs making offers.

Shorts described as like new!....with areas of yellow “age markings” near the fly.

Nearly all women selling “hubby’s gently used clothes”...when hubby seems to wear ten different sizes — even shoes!

How recent is that (obviously ancient) jacket? Recent, I’m sure, but can’t really say — I’m (always) selling it for a friend.

I’d rather someone just say, Yo, this was balled-up on a Goodwill floor for a buck!, rather than keep reading about hubby’s clothes. :violin:

Do you guys ever try to prevent someone from making an honest mistake (like with the pretend vintage tees)? I reached out to a woman selling RRL jeans once, partly because I was tired of seeing it come up in my searches. Described what they actually were, desirable features, keywords, price range, international buyers (as they were smaller). She thanked me profusely, didn’t Google or change the listing, and is still presumably paying for it as it still pops up months later. :confused:

mrFurly

Reaction score
The Poshmark lulz continue:

Noobs listing “vintage” (recent) band shirts for $500...and other noobs making offers.

Shorts described as like new!....with areas of yellow “age markings” near the fly.

Nearly all women selling “hubby’s gently used clothes”...when hubby seems to wear ten different sizes — even shoes!

How recent is that (obviously ancient) jacket? Recent, I’m sure, but can’t really say — I’m (always) selling it for a friend.

I’d rather someone just say, Yo, this was balled-up on a Goodwill floor for a buck!, rather than keep reading about hubby’s clothes. :violin:

Do you guys ever try to prevent someone from making an honest mistake (like with the pretend vintage tees)? I reached out to a woman selling RRL jeans once, partly because I was tired of seeing it come up in my searches. Described what they actually were, desirable features, keywords, price range, international buyers (as they were smaller). She thanked me profusely, didn’t Google or change the listing, and is still presumably paying for it as it still pops up months later. :confused:
its like that on eBay too.

Theres a certain 80's brand t shirt I like...
...I gave up looking for them on eBay because people have horrible titles...
...for example using the term 'vintage' for 10 year old t shirt.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
its like that on eBay too.

Theres a certain 80's brand t shirt I like...
...I gave up looking for them on eBay because people have horrible titles...
...for example using the term 'vintage' for 10 year old t shirt.

Ha, what’s the 80s-brand t-shirt, if it’s not a secret? I spend a fair amount of time poring over them myself. I used to get super-frustrated, mostly from the zillions of people trying to game the system (“vintage look”, “vintage style”, etc). Refined saved searches made it a little better.

Sometimes I get interesting things with searches like “Fresh Prince style” or “Zack Morris style”. (A lot of big toy cell phones for the latter, though).

mrFurly

Reaction score
Ha, what’s the 80s-brand t-shirt, if it’s not a secret? I spend a fair amount of time poring over them myself. I used to get super-frustrated, mostly from the zillions of people trying to game the system (“vintage look”, “vintage style”, etc). Refined saved searches made it a little better.

Sometimes I get interesting things with searches like “Fresh Prince style” or “Zack Morris style”. (A lot of big toy cell phones for the latter, though).
no secret...
...I like the older Champion T's...the fit and weight of the fabric is perfect to me.

A number of them from that era...maybe because they use sort of a slimmer fit.

Ill have to try out saved searches.

bert9000

Reaction score
I think we all knew that newly listed items do better than relistings but I was still surprised by how much better... Listed 67 items this morning, 29 GTC that I ended and sold as similar and 38 new (backlog lol), with 240 listings total. Sold 7 items today and all were from the new listings.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My favorite Negative feedback ever. I almost didn't call to have it removed.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Needing some advice on watermark placement. I've recently had my girl modeling photos and past problems with photo theft. Not a problem with one offs but a huge problem with multi quantity items. Ebay's also a bit too slow to respond to VEROs filed by small guys. Does my watermark look a bit too intrusive or is it OK as it is?

Here are a few samples. Any help appreciated.

View attachment 1190579 View attachment 1190582

I'd be reluctant to add watermarks, unless you are moving all your items quickly. Maybe 18 months ago ebay announced they were no longer allowing watermarks, and would be removing watermarked listings from search results starting in March 2018. I spent hours fixing the photos and then they ended up postponing the requirement. Bastards!

I anticipate them revisiting that requirement at some point, so I have just kept mine off permanently.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Could you imagine going to a dinner with that putz, think I would try to poison him if I had to sit through the whole meal.
She was most rude from the very first message. I was kind, understanding and agreeable about her customs fees woes, until she started accusing me. Her feedback was a lie though, I accepted a £20 offer on a £45 item. Still pretty expensive for a Coach dust bag, especially when you factor in £10 for shipping and £14 for customs. How do those Brits sleep at night charging people that much tax?

Quesjac

Reaction score
She was most rude from the very first message. I was kind, understanding and agreeable about her customs fees woes, until she started accusing me. Her feedback was a lie though, I accepted a £20 offer on a £45 item. Still pretty expensive for a Coach dust bag, especially when you factor in £10 for shipping and £14 for customs. How do those Brits sleep at night charging people that much tax?
I don't think there should be anywhere near that much tax. 20% VAT (ie. sales tax) should be applied (though I generally find it's not on goods <£100), but then DHL and co will pay on your behalf and then levy an admin charge of £8-12 for their trouble which is probably how it got to £14.

goatamous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question out of curiosity

Knock on wood I haven't gotten any negative yet
What do you say when you call to have it removed?
You just point out how ridiculous it is?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads