• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guy says jacket is wrong color and wants a $50 refund on an item. I apologize and ask him to send me a pic, I say it's the only peak lapel jacket I have and if it's the wrong one I will send the correct one out right away. He sends me this pic, saying it's black not blue. Seriously, the guy is a ******* eye doctor, and he takes a black and white pic of a ******* jacket to try to squeeze $50 out of me. what a complete *************. One of my auction pics (black mannequin on the right):
View attachment 1143589

His pic:
View attachment 1143590
Username:
View attachment 1143592

Auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=323719336362
Eff him take it back. No suit for you, his ass.

txwoodworker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I offered to take it back first thing, before even seeing his bullshit pic, but he doesn't want the hassle of returning it, just wants a discount.

drlivingston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I offered to take it back first thing, before even seeing his bullshit pic, but he doesn't want the hassle of returning it, just wants a discount.
I would call eBay, send them the pics, and show where he is trying to force a partial refund. Show where you were willing to accept a return. Gain assurance that you will be protected from neg/ neutral feedback and ask them for a case number that you can refer to if needed. Then, tell the asswipe to return it or keep it, no partial refund will be given. I had to do this once last year. The guy ended up keeping the item.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would call eBay, send them the pics, and show where he is trying to force a partial refund. Show where you were willing to accept a return. Gain assurance that you will be protected from neg/ neutral feedback and ask them for a case number that you can refer to if needed. Then, tell the asswipe to return it or keep it, no partial refund will be given. I had to do this once last year. The guy ended up keeping the item.
This exactly. I bet if you pushed the return, he might be goaded into feedback extortion.

kbadgley84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had Two people try that **** a couple months ago. I told them to send the item back if they didn’t like it. The each had nice large partial refund requests too. Never heard back from either of them

Sartoriamo

Reaction score
Yep, I concur. I think there are some buyers that just "try it on". I have had a number of people complain about an item and threaten to return it, either for fit, or color or any number of reasons. Or make up some story about tailoring (oh, I see, you want ME to pay for YOUR tailoring on a $4500 suit you bought for $249?). But the interesting thing is that if I push back politely but hard, they quite often just disappear. This is why it's suspicious. If there was really a problem, there would STILL be a problem. Taking a position that you will accept a full return, but not offer a partial refund often helps tease out their intent.

That said, if someone is clearly not going away, for me it's pure economics: is it worth the money for me NOT to have to deal with it again? In many cases, I'm happy to be "played" because I would have taken less for the item than they offered. I just work the conversation so they state in an eBay message the amount for which their concern will go away, or that they are returning for non-SNAD reasons or whatever. That keeps me covered with the 'Bay. And then, if the amount is worth the relief of not having to re-list, I grin and quickly refund it. Done. Next, please. They think they won, but it was I who made margin, checkmated a possible neg, and got it out of my life. Path of least resistance.

Now it may be that I have a very low threshold for hassle compared to some of you, but by the time I add up costs of postage, time taken to unpack, check, repack and re-list, and the hassle factor of having to even think about it, versus the margin on the item, the partial refund usually wins, even if clearly bogus. As long as I still made good margin, I'm fine. Once a sale is made, I like to keep that sale made unless the extortion represents a clear loss. But if I'm well ahead, great. I doubt it's ever gone over a few hundred bucks a year total in "payoffs". Small price to pay for not having to think about that kind of crap, and now they are blocked. I don't need to be the karmic vigilante for every douchebag buyer (though I take my turn every so often). They're gonna have it coming anyway . . .

wumpyfish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Breaking news. Pernicious enabler helps with banners over popular searches...
upload_2019-3-15_9-8-47.png

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep, I concur. I think there are some buyers that just "try it on". I have had a number of people complain about an item and threaten to return it, either for fit, or color or any number of reasons. Or make up some story about tailoring (oh, I see, you want ME to pay for YOUR tailoring on a $4500 suit you bought for $249?). But the interesting thing is that if I push back politely but hard, they quite often just disappear. This is why it's suspicious. If there was really a problem, there would STILL be a problem. Taking a position that you will accept a full return, but not offer a partial refund often helps tease out their intent.

That said, if someone is clearly not going away, for me it's pure economics: is it worth the money for me NOT to have to deal with it again? In many cases, I'm happy to be "played" because I would have taken less for the item than they offered. I just work the conversation so they state in an eBay message the amount for which their concern will go away, or that they are returning for non-SNAD reasons or whatever. That keeps me covered with the 'Bay. And then, if the amount is worth the relief of not having to re-list, I grin and quickly refund it. Done. Next, please. They think they won, but it was I who made margin, checkmated a possible neg, and got it out of my life. Path of least resistance.

Now it may be that I have a very low threshold for hassle compared to some of you, but by the time I add up costs of postage, time taken to unpack, check, repack and re-list, and the hassle factor of having to even think about it, versus the margin on the item, the partial refund usually wins, even if clearly bogus. As long as I still made good margin, I'm fine. Once a sale is made, I like to keep that sale made unless the extortion represents a clear loss. But if I'm well ahead, great. I doubt it's ever gone over a few hundred bucks a year total in "payoffs". Small price to pay for not having to think about that kind of crap, and now they are blocked. I don't need to be the karmic vigilante for every douchebag buyer (though I take my turn every so often). They're gonna have it coming anyway . . .
That’s admirable, and I commend you for your pragmatism.

But I don’t care what it would cost me as long as the turd doesn’t get what he wants.

I’m petty like that.

txwoodworker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to not give in to buyer's demands, but now I just usually do it, block and move on. Would have done it with this one if he 1. asked for something less than 50% of the purchase price, 2. If it was Navy blue, instead of REALLY FREAKING BLUE, then 3. that bullshit black pic he sent back really put me over the edge.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yo...how do I initiate a return without having it count against a seller’s ratio?

I bought something listed as a men’s shirt that turned out to be women’s — one of those confusing “Ralph Lauren” branded shirts. (The chest and length measurements checked out; had the shoulders been listed, I would have known better).

Ad said returns accepted for any reason. I’d like to get my $$$ back minus shipping, but don’t want to ding the guy for an honest mistake.

Reosymes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A return for Item Not As Described is no longer a defect. Though, if your return percentage is unusually high over a period of time, ebay will raise your seller fees.

carreragt7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the consensus on chrome hangers? I know for nicer stuff like suits that it’s ideal to use an actually wooden suit hanger. But for jackets, tees, etc. is this style of metal hanger alright?

I just bought 200 of this exact brand/style from local store for $30 (.06/ea) and they had another 4-5 boxes so trying to decide if they’re worth grabbing to use in place of the crappy plastic ones that cost around 6-10c each and break in cold weather.

54D40DD3-14F4-4110-9785-4D4FD92311E2.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads