• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They said they couldn’t resolve anything except the main photo (this was after they tried to convince me that I had originally only ever uploaded 1 photo for each of my listings), so I deleted them all and fixed them myself that first day. Couldn't let them stay on site that way. I only had 59 affected listings, so it wasn't too bad I guess.

Annoying as this stuff is every year....I'm glad they do this stuff in the summer, so it's all squared away by peak season.

Last edited:

goatamous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All

Anybody experience something like this:
Sold a shirt, delivered, see the money is on hold in my Paypal account
"Your buyer has opened a dispute on this transaction. Sign in to your eBay account for more information on how to resolve it."

go to ebay. nada in my account signaling a dispute.
go to paypal. no open disputes.

call ebay - no disputes on file.
call paypal - no open disputes.

yet the money is on hold. unsure if i just wait it out for it to get off hold

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
All

"Your buyer has opened a dispute on this transaction. Sign in to your eBay account for more information on how to resolve it."

Did you check "closed disputes"? Maybe he opened it against the wrong seller and then closed it.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
All

Yes, this happened to me with an international transaction. It was a normal return for fit, but the money was held in PayPal. PayPal claimed the hold came from eBay and eBay said there was no case opened.

I got the runaround for the entire time. Shoes made it back, hold disappeared.

Do you have any international transactions that haven't yet been delivered or are being returned?

goatamous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you check "closed disputes"? Maybe he opened it against the wrong seller and then closed it.

That's the strange part...nothing in open, nothing in closed on both ebay / Paypal

Yes, this happened to me with an international transaction. It was a normal return for fit, but the money was held in PayPal. PayPal claimed the hold came from eBay and eBay said there was no case opened.

I got the runaround for the entire time. Shoes made it back, hold disappeared.

Do you have any international transactions that haven't yet been delivered or are being returned?

It's not. It's actually (somewhat) driving distance from me....about an hour away

Some more background as it was a strange transaction from the start, with some red flags, especially in hindsight
a) zero feedback buyer. I didn't care too much because I sold the shirt for $30 shipped and they were paying by paypal
b) paid via e-check. yay. took 2 weeks to clear, but it did, and i shipped after i got notification of the payment clearing
c) note from the buyer when purchased:
"Please ship to my Canada address on Ebay. Im in Canada at the moment."
Again, i'm eligible for seller protection, and provided a tracking number

The strangest part in all of this is there was no notification of a dispute from either ebay or PP. I logged into my account yesterday for another reason and noticed that the money that previously cleared was once again on hold.
Could have been scammed, could just be a complete cluster ****.

txwoodworker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Can you follow the link to eBay.ca? I've had this before where something showed up on an international (.de iirc) site, but didn't show up on my ebay. I remember it shook itself out. But if there's a hold, on your PP, someone should be able to track it.

goatamous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll have to call PP again
Traced through again and saw the following:

"PayPal has placed a temporary hold while we're reviewing it. We'll contact you shortly with further information."

I'm wondering if it has to do with the e-check. What a pain over $30.

EDIT: Paypal is saying it's an erroneous hold due to server maintenance. I don't buy it, but will monitor for a couple of days and see if it gets cleared.

Last edited:

RFHansen

Reaction score
I usually scavenge the cardboard container for shipping boxes. Last week, I shipped some trousers in a box for a massage pillow. Today I had this enjoyable conversation with the buyer, read from the bottom up:

Screen Shot 2018-07-11 at 21.38.05.png

One more thing: A buyer is returning a Brioni polo, claiming it's fake. I think it isn't, and I have explained my case to him, but he insists. Has anyone here encountered fake Brioni polos or other items?

drlivingston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You may want to add this dude to your block list:

He won an auction for a tie on May 26. Here is the sales record.
ass1.PNG

I sent him an invoice. But, he never contacted me and he never paid. So, after more than enough time, I open a non-payment case on June 4.
ass2.PNG

4 days after opening the case, I close it and receive back my FVF. Then, I promptly relisted the tie and sold it. The new owner is pleased with it. Life goes on. But.... wait. The guy who won the tie in May sends me this message last night.
ass3.PNG

To which I promptly replied.
ass4.PNG

A few moments later, I receive this reply... No, I did not respond back.
ass5.PNG

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You may want to add this dude to your block list:

He won an auction for a tie on May 26. Here is the sales record.
View attachment 1003003

I sent him an invoice. But, he never contacted me and he never paid. So, after more than enough time, I open a non-payment case on June 4.
View attachment 1003004

4 days after opening the case, I close it and receive back my FVF. Then, I promptly relisted the tie and sold it. The new owner is pleased with it. Life goes on. But.... wait. The guy who won the tie in May sends me this message last night.
View attachment 1003005

To which I promptly replied.
View attachment 1003006

A few moments later, I receive this reply... No, I did not respond back.
View attachment 1003007
dick.gif

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if he’s related the guy a friend of mine had a run in with while cycling?

So I had a Twilight Zoneish experience with another cyclist yesterday riding home.

On warm sunny days, the Strand is crowded, so I usually take the street in Hermosa. That means stopping for several stop signs along the way.

I had ridden past Pier and was waiting at the stop light just south of there. The light changed and a millennial looking guy on a fixie swooped by when the light turned green.

There is a stop sign, another stop sign a short block further. The next stop sign is about 0.2 mile further. We both stop at the first stop sign, but at the next, the guy on the fixie rolls through at about 10 MPH. Since I stopped, he is now 30 yards or so ahead of me and pedaling furiously.

About halfway into the block I caught him and he suddenly slowed down.

"I don't want to ride near you. People like you are dangerous and give cyclists a bad name."

WTF?

"What are you talking about?"

"You ran that stop sign back there. I hate when people do that."

That is a heck of a thing to accuse me of. I am in the 3 sigma minority of cyclists that make a point of stopping at stop signs. I've had the police stop me to compliment me on it.

"I'm afraid you your law correct, but your facts incorrect. I stopped. You rolled through, and that's why you left the intersection 30 yards ahead of me."

He wasn't having it ... shaking his head and wagging his finger at me.

Flippin bizarre.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads