• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hi all. I was just reading about and trying to understand the new tax law. Am I right that eBay is going to issue a 1099 in January 2024 to anyone who sells more than $600 on eBay in 2023? Didn’t it used be $20,000? So even a very part time seller like me is going to have to declare this income? Any guidance would be appreciated!
The sellers tax filing responsibility has not changed, they should still be reporting all their online sales income annually as always, if they haven't been.......well, oops. The IRS is just finally closing the door on those who have chosen to not declare their income below the 1099 threshold in the past.....I'm surprised (but also not surprised) for them to have taken so long to close that gaping hole.

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Heads up for ebay transaction cancellations.

Note: If a buyer requests to cancel a transaction before payment, you may want to
consider waiting until you can select the cancellation reason "buyer hasn't paid".

Reason: If you cancel a purchase for "buyer hasn't paid" it blocks the buyer from leaving feedback on the transaction. However if you cancel using "buyer asked to cancel" they can still leave feedback despite having never made payment, and the feedback may be un-removable.

Screenshot 2023-03-30 at 8.00.34 AM.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Screenshot 2023-03-30 at 8.01.30 AM.png

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Screenshot 2023-03-30 at 8.05.23 AM.png

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@capnwes

That’s some serious BS right there.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with EBay Standard Envelopes not getting tracking updates after origin acceptance? Buyer is claiming item didn’t show.

eddyroxx

Reaction score
I've had that issue with USPS postage purchased directly through eBay.
My issue was due to printing the labels via the mobile app. For some reason the barcode portion would print with a colored background.
Clerk at USPS explained the barcode is unreadable by their machines when that happens.
Tracking will only update when someone manually scans the package, usually at delivery.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had that issue with USPS postage purchased directly through eBay.
My issue was due to printing the labels via the mobile app. For some reason the barcode portion would print with a colored background.
Clerk at USPS explained the barcode is unreadable by their machines when that happens.
Tracking will only update when someone manually scans the package, usually at delivery.

These labels are printing black with a white background.

I should clarify that I’m wondering about eBay’s guarantee on ESEs, and whether I’m covered if it’s lost in shipping.

eddyroxx

Reaction score
These labels are printing black with a white background.

I should clarify that I’m wondering about eBay’s guarantee on ESEs, and whether I’m covered if it’s lost in shipping.
Ah, I see. Not familiar with those.
A quick search brought up this page:

“eBay standard envelope shipments include shipment protections in the case of loss or damage while in transit. Each shipment includes up to $20 of shipment protection on single-item orders, and up to $50 on combined orders. If your buyer claims items were not received or damaged in transit, we recommend you file a shipping protection plan claim. Here’s how!

txwoodworker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably everyone knows about this, but it's a good video about the ebay eCommercebytes stalking scandal. Corporate boot lickers carried this out at the behest of the CEO after the website posted an article about him.
60min Segment

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hi. This should be an easy one:

I need to return something, but don’t want to ding the seller in any way. So I messaged them and asked how I could return the item. (They “don’t take returns”). They said I could mail the item back and they would refund the transaction upon receipt.

The seller is apparently prompt, friendly and honest. I remember how bad eBay sucks and dings you for everything. But I was also hoping for at least a return label so I won’t be out any more time and money. It also seems like this way, they could screw me over.

Any ideas on what to do next? Do I just have to click the ‘want to return’ button? I’d feel like a massive penis-head.

Thanks…

Last edited:

txwoodworker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Legit dings for NAD are not a huge thing for a moderate to big volume seller, if it's a legit seller issue where they screwed up, then return it for that reason, that's the only way you're sure to get your money back and not be out of pocket anything. I suppose you could return for another reason and have them refund you the additional shipping, but I'd only do that if the seller explicitly said they would pay you the extra shipping cost before you send it.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Legit dings for NAD are not a huge thing for a moderate to big volume seller, if it's a legit seller issue where they screwed up, then return it for that reason, that's the only way you're sure to get your money back and not be out of pocket anything. I suppose you could return for another reason and have them refund you the additional shipping, but I'd only do that if the seller explicitly said they would pay you the extra shipping cost before you send it.

Ah, ok. Thanks… I guess I’ll do that then.

Only 30 transactions, 100% feedback, non-professional seller, so I’m hoping it’s not awful O_O

Leatherviz

Reaction score
Since so many people buy and sell on eBay, I thought it might be convenient to have a place where those more experienced could offer up advice or answer questions. I know that I've run into problems as both a buyer and seller and I've been fortunate to get advice from other members.

Feel free to discuss anything related to eBay, but please avoid rants about such things as PayPal. Also, it would probably not be best to call people out as there is (I think) a dedicated thread to that somewhere else. There is also a thread available to members that want to list their new auctions Instead, here are some ideas:

- Questions related to buying/selling on eBay
- Tips sellers use to drive traffic
- How to handle problems
- How to maximize sales (i.e. Buy-it-now vs. true auction format)
- International shipping costs and concerns
Hi,
Is it true that new eBay seller id don't get orders?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads