• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's nothing that can be done. I just sold a new with tags pair of Red Wing lineman made in USA work boots and the buyer claimed he went to a Red Wing dealer and the dealer told him they were fake (sure). All you can do is accept the return and move on.

A couple of years ago a buyer opened an not authentic return on a BB corduroy sport coat and told me that a salesman at his local Brooks Brothers store told him that no Brooks Brothers items were manufactured in Thailand. I asked him for the first or last name of the salesman and the location of the store so I could give him a call. Of course he didn't provide it.

florent

Reaction score
Anyone sold on vestiaire collective, yet?
Fees are cheaper than eBay and the prices seem higher :)

Best
I've been selling there for ~1 year. They used to have outrageous fees, hence the higher prices to take that into account, but announced a huge fees decrease just this week.
Lots of weird bargaining (like counter offer of +1€ from previous offer) but I've never heard back from a customer once the item was shipped. No feedback system so potentially less bullshit too.

haloitsme

Reaction score
I've been selling there for ~1 year. They used to have outrageous fees, hence the higher prices to take that into account, but announced a huge fees decrease just this week.
Lots of weird bargaining (like counter offer of +1€ from previous offer) but I've never heard back from a customer once the item was shipped. No feedback system so potentially less bullshit too.
I always had in mind 40%. But now they are getting competitive. Have you sold more than bay and at higher prices?
So you never had a return?

Best

florent

Reaction score
I always had in mind 40%. But now they are getting competitive. Have you sold more than bay and at higher prices?
So you never had a return?

Best
It wasn't as bad as 40% ? The range was 15-25%, increasing with the price (which was stupid, it was sometimes more profitable for the seller to reduce the price to atteign a lower fees tier). Now it's 15% for everything.

I'm still selling about 2x more on Ebay, adjusting my prices to get roughly the same in my pocket at the end. Never had a return or a complain (or a "thanks" for that matter) but bear in mind I'm a low volume seller so I don't have many issues on Ebay either.

zenosparadox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really strange - a buyer just made an offer for the list price of a coat that I had slightly increased the price of in expectation of receiving lower offers. I have no idea why he wouldn't simply buy the coat outright rather than offer me the buy it now amount.

Compounding my concern a bit is the fact that his user name is all digits - seven digits with a dash between the third and fourth digits, which makes me think it might be a phone number. His account was created one month ago and he has a single positive feedback from five days ago, which would likely be for an unfinished transaction.

Should I have any confidence in this? The price is more than I expected for the item, but it is an expensive item in general, so I wouldn't want to lose it to any kind of scam. Seems crazy to turn it down, then, but there are at least a few warning signs. One of those too good to be true things, perhaps? Thoughts?

wumpyfish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lots of people(me) will BIN without negotiating if they feel its under valued or its a newbie, two, is buyer U.S based or overseas? I have had a couple of far east buyers using U.S. based freight forwarders and non alphabet symbols as their user name and it worked out OK for me.

haloitsme

Reaction score
Really strange - a buyer just made an offer for the list price of a coat that I had slightly increased the price of in expectation of receiving lower offers. I have no idea why he wouldn't simply buy the coat outright rather than offer me the buy it now amount.

Compounding my concern a bit is the fact that his user name is all digits - seven digits with a dash between the third and fourth digits, which makes me think it might be a phone number. His account was created one month ago and he has a single positive feedback from five days ago, which would likely be for an unfinished transaction.

Should I have any confidence in this? The price is more than I expected for the item, but it is an expensive item in general, so I wouldn't want to lose it to any kind of scam. Seems crazy to turn it down, then, but there are at least a few warning signs. One of those too good to be true things, perhaps? Thoughts?
Happens a lot. Usually, they don’t pay. When they pay, I never hear anything. I think they are all „guest“ accounts, that’s why the username is so cryptic.

haloitsme

Reaction score
lots of people(me) will BIN without negotiating if they feel its under valued or its a newbie, two, is buyer U.S based or overseas? I have had a couple of far east buyers using U.S. based freight forwarders and non alphabet symbols as their user name and it worked out OK for me.
Freight forward users, are the best, when they forward eBay don’t back them up anymore.

edubs01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny just had the same thing happen to me.
Listed an item with a starting price and this user eomr9145 emails me the following:
"Hello, this jacket of yours is very nice. Can I buy it directly? I will pay immediately and my delivery address is in Portland, thank you."

Then a hour later another user yjbfhd0 emails me the following:
"Dear seller, hello. I cannot participate in your auction, but I hope to obtain this item through "Buy Now"
I ask this user his address and they say Portland.

Is this some sort of scam? I just said no and blocked both of them.

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought this might be the right place to come. About to list some shoes that I thought were alligator/croc embossed but now that I’m looking at them, I’m wondering if they could potentially be the genuine article. Any help appreciated!

Attachments

• 18834772-D48C-4FA7-A742-7B704A7BC8DE.jpeg
    18834772-D48C-4FA7-A742-7B704A7BC8DE.jpeg
    151.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 451B906B-A378-4F27-B253-465DC5252352.jpeg
    451B906B-A378-4F27-B253-465DC5252352.jpeg
    239.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 8A5BE0E2-C46F-4CA0-8998-AACBC027A4C6.jpeg
    8A5BE0E2-C46F-4CA0-8998-AACBC027A4C6.jpeg
    120.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 4E54E8FB-71D9-49EB-8004-5E260867B463.jpeg
    4E54E8FB-71D9-49EB-8004-5E260867B463.jpeg
    112 KB · Views: 33
  • 917B6A1A-2729-4E19-9757-7E95C88DE70E.jpeg
    917B6A1A-2729-4E19-9757-7E95C88DE70E.jpeg
    79.1 KB · Views: 52
  • 9836032A-28A4-4759-AD6B-0A0443C44806.jpeg
    9836032A-28A4-4759-AD6B-0A0443C44806.jpeg
    91.2 KB · Views: 52

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if they show wear include a pic of a wear crease or two that often helps me id at least .

the heel looks pretty good from here ! if it's stamped it still seems really quality .

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if they show wear include a pic of a wear crease or two that often helps me id at least .

the heel looks pretty good from here ! if it's stamped it still seems really quality .

There isn’t much wear. The shoes are near mint. Thank you for your reply!

haloitsme

Reaction score
Thought this might be the right place to come. About to list some shoes that I thought were alligator/croc embossed but now that I’m looking at them, I’m wondering if they could potentially be the genuine article. Any help appreciated!
To me, without touching, it looks like embossed alligator.

vestbash

Reaction score

These are printed calf in my opinion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads