• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
C A M E R A S

What does everyone use? Would like to upgrade to something more permanent soon and I'm interested to hear people's opinions on what type, brand, etc.

Canon EOS 80d with a 35mm macro lens. The camera is good enough for most of the photography I do for fun, and plenty good enough for eBay listings. I might get a newer camera at some point for regular use, but I’ll keep this one going for listings.

haloitsme

Reaction score
C A M E R A S

What does everyone use? Would like to upgrade to something more permanent soon and I'm interested to hear people's opinions on what type, brand, etc.
Olympus m5 MK ii (200,000 shots already and still going) / but looking at Sony right now, that can charge via USB c
12-40 mm pro lense
Light: 3x Elinchrom 100
3x Octaboxes 120
Foba Diml (table)
Foba Arobi (I think)
Manfrotto Stand

--> You can almost use any camera because high resolution is not needed. Usually, you take pics in Raw and do a white balance in bulk.
I would choose a small mirrorless camera with a good glass. But depends what else are you planing to do outside of eBay?

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Olympus m5 MK ii (200,000 shots already and still going) / but looking at Sony right now, that can charge via USB c
12-40 mm pro lense
Light: 3x Elinchrom 100
3x Octaboxes 120
Foba Diml (table)
Foba Arobi (I think)
Manfrotto Stand

--> You can almost use any camera because high resolution is not needed. Usually, you take pics in Raw and do a white balance in bulk.
I would choose a small mirrorless camera with a good glass. But depends what else are you planing to do outside of eBay?

Do the white balance in camera if the camera allows you to fine tune the settings. On Canon cameras, you can set the color temperature (K in the white balance setting). I never batch process unless I accidentally shoot at too high resolution.

haloitsme

Reaction score
Do the white balance in camera if the camera allows you to fine tune the settings. On Canon cameras, you can set the color temperature (K in the white balance setting). I never batch process unless I accidentally shoot at too high resolution.
White Balancing adjustments can do almost any newer camera. The issue is when you move to the right or left a bit, change f of the lense or other parameters, color may shift (often found in green). But yes you can do it on camera but I would do it outside :)
Also, the Olympus can do it, but I never used it ^^

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
White Balancing adjustments can do almost any newer camera. The issue is when you move to the right or left a bit, change f of the lense or other parameters, color may shift (often found in green). But yes you can do it on camera but I would do it outside :)
Also, the Olympus can do it, but I never used it ^^

If the color is shifting when you change the f stop, there might be something wrong with the camera. Do you mean that the exposure is shifting? I change that on the fly while I’m shooting.

haloitsme

Reaction score
If the color is shifting when you change the f stop, there might be something wrong with the camera. Do you mean that the exposure is shifting? I change that on the fly while I’m shooting.
when you change from f1.4 to for example f10, colors may change. Also when you use differnt angels or change the distance between the object, may or may not change color a bit.
That is why I just do it in bulk. Make a picture with a white refernce in a certain angle and apply on all.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when you change from f1.4 to for example f10, colors may change. Also when you use differnt angels or change the distance between the object, may or may not change color a bit.
That is why I just do it in bulk. Make a picture with a white refernce in a certain angle and apply on all.

When do you need to go from 1.4 to f/10? I shoot pretty much everything at f/9-10 and adjust the shutter speed to alter the exposure.

Are my pictures perfect? Hell no, I save the detail work for landscape and nature photography. I’ve never * had a complaint about the colors being off in my photography.

*Touch wood…

haloitsme

Reaction score
When do you need to go from 1.4 to f/10? I shoot pretty much everything at f/9-10 and adjust the shutter speed to alter the exposure.

Are my pictures perfect? Hell no, I save the detail work for landscape and nature photography. I’ve never * had a complaint about the colors being off in my photography.

*Touch wood…
The whole point was differently meant. As we do not do print, in the end, it does not matter :) And that color adjustments, whether in the camera or later should also be not overlooked.
I just wanted to tell @Letric that any camera should be fine for eBay. But depending on his needs may take a different one.
Personally, just for eBay, I would not use a DSLR anymore, too heavy.
I would just go with a mirrorless with tethering (10-20 meter cable) that charges the battery via USB C. That is so a lifesaver.

But the camera is not everything, I would invest in good lights, a solid background, a Stand where you can adjust in CM, so you should have +- all the time similar pictures without doing a lot of adjustments.

For example, I have on the Foba Stand certain settings marked ( angle, height, here camera, etc.) So it helps to get +- similar pictures (what I think is better to do so because it saves time when you have space).

It is not about critique, it is just how you can do it faster and more consistently. e.g. when you do color adjustments post, how long does it take you? (1-2 min. max, so no big deal).
A photographer showed me the things once, does it do everything he showed me ---NO---, because I think for eBay it's ok.
Usually you do: Raw --> Light room (color adj.) --> Phtoshop (crop, adjust wrinkles, etc.) --> Export.

Letric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input so far.

Yeah my process is usually Raw > Lightroom for batch editing light/contrast/etc > Export. No photoshop, and I like to shoot in 1:1 to minimize croppage. I dont like to edit a ton, so having the photos be pretty spot on when they're initially created is a goal of mine.

I have been looking at mirrorless, maybe the Sony A6000 line? A6100? I like its features and overall reception by the photography world. My budget is in the $500-800 range all in, so probably looking to get used with low as possible shutter count. The A6000 line has a "rating" so to speak of 100,000 clicks. If it died right at 100k that would be about 2-3 years of good use for me. For glass I might just get the standard one that comes with it (16-50mm) or an 18-105mm.

As for lighting, I asked questions about that here a while back and got a few answers. That eventually led me to get some new LED style continuous lighting and will be adding more of those to the arsenal soon. They seem pretty good so far in initial testing, but haven't switched my whole setup over to them yet.

haloitsme

Reaction score
Thanks for the input so far.

Yeah my process is usually Raw > Lightroom for batch editing light/contrast/etc > Export. No photoshop, and I like to shoot in 1:1 to minimize croppage. I dont like to edit a ton, so having the photos be pretty spot on when they're initially created is a goal of mine.

I have been looking at mirrorless, maybe the Sony A6000 line? A6100? I like its features and overall reception by the photography world. My budget is in the $500-800 range all in, so probably looking to get used with low as possible shutter count. The A6000 line has a "rating" so to speak of 100,000 clicks. If it died right at 100k that would be about 2-3 years of good use for me. For glass I might just get the standard one that comes with it (16-50mm) or an 18-105mm.

As for lighting, I asked questions about that here a while back and got a few answers. That eventually led me to get some new LED style continuous lighting and will be adding more of those to the arsenal soon. They seem pretty good so far in initial testing, but haven't switched my whole setup over to them yet.
I am also looking at the A6000 line (now), which seems to be good enough for the product photograhphy.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
why Full frame for eBay? If I remember, FX has 45 Megapixels, you need a lot of storage space and be patient with uploading.
4 megapixels should be good enough for eBay because they decrease quality anyways.

In decent digital cameras, you can shoot at lower quality. I shoot at 2.1 MP, which is more than adequate for eBay. Having a high res camera is nice if you shoot other things too.

drlivingston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
why Full frame for eBay? If I remember, FX has 45 Megapixels, you need a lot of storage space and be patient with uploading.
4 megapixels should be good enough for eBay because they decrease quality anyways.
I like keeping my life simplified. Sure, FX is overkill for eBay. But, with a different lens and a few adjustments, I am ready for whatever I need to shoot without toting an extra body.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
to chip in on this convo...

i'll be moving to FF soon , fwiw i'd started on film back in the 90s , plus there are a number of what i would consider essential benefits to the larger sensor , including working in available light and recouping coverage of glass in-frame . imnho reducing format in the first place was a terrible compromise to the digital 35mm format , but that's tech for you.

on the dslr i use a fixed 50mm macro for everything . filtered daylight , sometimes mixed with available household light . on a FF i might go a little longer we will see .

i use a lot of long exposures , so a manfrotto tripod n remote , never use a white background more like find a vignette .

if all that sounds fussy , it is. i can take my time with a listing but i will also say i don't list or sell in bulk .

i will add the vast majority of what i sell is gone sub-24-hrs for real money . if i do it right the pics are def a part of that process .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics