• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1ofTheCoolKids

Reaction score
How NOT to sell on eBay:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How NOT to sell on eBay:

Scared me for a second, as a former Eastern Shore resident, I thought they might be coming for me.

ghoststar

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm a Top-Rated Seller on eBay under the store name "ghost-star". I've been selling men's clothes and accessories on eBay since 2003, and currently have several hundred unique items. So if anyone has a question regarding selling on eBay, I'd be happy to provide any insight.

My store: https://www.ebay.com/str/ghost-star

Tweets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
15 days was bad enough but this is flat out riduculous. If you want to give them 6 weeks to return it, at least don't hold my money. I bet 40% of my return requests never actually get returned.

haloitsme

Reaction score
15 days was bad enough but this is flat out riduculous. If you want to give them 6 weeks to return it, at least don't hold my money. I bet 40% of my return requests never actually get returned.
6 weeks is pretty lame, but hey... better than European rules. If they file a return within the 14 day return window (if stated 14 days) they can wait months to return the item. You as a seller then have to evaluate if the item lost value and deduct the amount. Easy with electronic, hard with garments, especially t-shirts.
But let’s be honest, who waits so long?

Also with the 30 day return window, if I get a return it is usually within 3-7 days after arrival. So,I don’t see a big issue their.

txwoodworker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ebay sends periodic reminders for 6 weeks, this will have an impact on return success. It just illustrates further how little control you have over "your" business when working with ebay. I've been doing this solid for 8 years as a hobby, glad it's not a job.

Reactions: EZB

goatamous II

Reaction score
Anyone selling on Grailed? Fees look lower.
Maybe an option?

i do sometimes
it's 9% grailed fees + paypal fees

obviously a different market than ebay where the buyers there are looking for more hype items
you can only bump your listing once every 7 days and after 30 days you're forced into a 10% price drop if you want to bump. Buyers know that you have to do a price drop, so unless you have a hype item that sells fast, it's basically a market of window shoppers waiting for you to hit rock bottom

If you have a listing with 10+ watchers that hasn't been bumped in 8 weeks, you have the ability to de-list and re-list without dropping the price and maintaining your watchers, restarting the 30 day cycle.
Alternatively, you have to manually delete your listing and re-list it

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sheesh, what the ...?
I'm not a lousy seller, at least I never have been up to now, but I'm suddenly getting return requests on half my sales. (Granted, I've put ebay on the back burner, so my sales have slowed down.) The part that I posted about a page or two back is in return limbo (I created a return label for him, but he hasn't actually sent it yet. We'll see what happens.)
Now I've got a return request because a suit doesn't fit like someone wanted. With measurements all over the listing! And I see a flurry of "didn't fit" in the last few pages here. If this keeps up, I may pull down the rest of my ebay and just put everything on Posh, or get set up with one of the others. I don't like them as well, but posh at least seems to come with fewer hassles.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Poshmark and depop sellers never give measurements; I don’t see how they function that way.
Anyone selling on Grailed? Fees look lower.
Maybe an option?

No harm in just duplicating your listing there. I’d keep your stuff on eBay until you know it’s something that will sell there. I see a few things going for a third of what they’d fetch on eBay.

txwoodworker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, this M-Fer.
I sold a vintage turntable, he said it had issues, fine. Maybe something happened in shipping, I'm not going to try to fight it, because... yeah.
The thing comes back today with about half the shipping material I used to send it to him, and it's basically a box of parts. Poor thing did nothing but create good and bad music for 40 years or so, and this ****** punts it back to me.
Silver lining, called ebay and they're covering it for me. It's not coming from him though, but it should.

1632265320644.png

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, this M-Fer.
I sold a vintage turntable, he said it had issues, fine. Maybe something happened in shipping, I'm not going to try to fight it, because... yeah.
The thing comes back today with about half the shipping material I used to send it to him, and it's basically a box of parts. Poor thing did nothing but create good and bad music for 40 years or so, and this ****** punts it back to me.
Silver lining, called ebay and they're covering it for me. It's not coming from him though, but it should.

View attachment 1672909
I hate when people don't care enough to preserve what's there. Even if you can't make it work, someone else probably can.

On another note, why is it that we (some of us) post images of ebay names instead of text? Is the thought that they might find reference to themselves here and ... retailiate?

(Asking because I'll probably be adding a couple of names in the next few days)

MJMcRibb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, this M-Fer.

View attachment 1672909
How were you actually able to call? I tried to find a working number forever to no avail.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads