• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Has anyone a steamer in possession that they use to prepare items for pics / shipment? Any recommendation?
Not sure if you have one near you, but our local Ollies usually stocks a few models of Rowentas at cheap prices....typically they are salvage items with damaged boxes, so make sure you check the box for all the parts before you buy. Good spot for a cheap vacuum too, usually on the same aisle.

Tip: I would avoid steaming an item shortly before shipment. If the garment is still damp, it may show up a little musty/moldy. Especially with the "new normal" long shipping times and warmer temps. Mold will begin to form at around 72 hours when its damp, dark and warm. Speaking from experience as a former Water/Mold Damage tech........and also as someone who has shipped something too soon after steaming.

Last edited:

dadjeans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use a thrifted Rowenta steamer (I think it's the IS-8100 Commercial) and it works pretty well for prepping items before I take pics, though I don't do much volume (~20 items a month). I think I've given it about 2 years of steady use now and I haven't had any issues.
Tip: I would avoid steaming an item shortly before shipment. If the garment is still damp, it may show up a little musty/moldy. Especially with the "new normal" long shipping times and warmer temps. Mold will begin to form at around 72 hours when its damp, dark and warm. Speaking from experience as a former Water/Mold Damage tech........and also as someone who has shipped something too soon after steaming.
This is really good advice.

haloitsme

Reaction score
@capnwes very good advice, thank you.
@Sartoriamo , thx, I think here we don't have that brand, but I was more looking for a commercial one rather than the ones hand held with water in the lower part. But also thx

wumpyfish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had a buyer get a
"check out error the seller is not excepting any bids from you" and checked the list and his user name is there. While I was mentally wanking what to do he opened an account in his wife's name and bought the item. I went ahead and shipped, I know. His real name is a white collar police blotter nightmare. I cannot find the post with his transgression, who ever posted this guy> dollarron1 <drop me message or point me to page, thx​

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had a buyer get a
"check out error the seller is not excepting any bids from you" and checked the list and his user name is there. While I was mentally wanking what to do he opened an account in his wife's name and bought the item. I went ahead and shipped, I know. His real name is a white collar police blotter nightmare. I cannot find the post with his transgression, who ever posted this guy> dollarron1 <drop me message or point me to page, thx

Did he message and tell you he opened a new account? If so, that should be a get out of jail card if he gives you any grief. Just point out to an eBay rep that he opened a new account to get around your block list.

Tweets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of a way to put certain listings on vacation or hidden without doing all of them? I know I can just end the ones and relist later but I lose all the watchers then. I've got a vacation coming up and my employee can't do some of the heavy items.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5971CAD6-21AD-4D4E-A607-2A2659FF8E1F.jpeg

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Guys, a question:

If you mark an item as shipped by your stated usual shipping time, but mail and update with tracking the next day, does it count as shipped on time, or will the robots actually read the tracking info in order to squash you?

After so many items I’ve bought arrive late after sitting days with a ‘shipping partner’, I decided to try out a shipping partner of my own.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads