• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kbadgley84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what size this is? Pair of men’s linen lounge pants
10C26EFF-5E16-4511-B62D-612C5547D7A1.jpeg
300A64C1-6231-45BD-A4A5-6869AC600E0A.jpeg

Sartoriamo

Reaction score
Photography experts: I could use some advice about lighting. I have continued to "upgrade" my lighting (lol for some of you), but I'm not happy with it, as I think it may actually be too bright. This is largely because of the massive increases in power now available at low cost. After years of using fluorescents, I have been using the Harbor Freight LED shop lights, one above the mannequin, and one on each side, positioned vertically (actually hung from IV poles). Another hangs above the flat table. But they are super bright, and with 4 of them running, I have 20K lumens in the room, even though they do not produce much heat.

However, I recently sold a z-rack to a professional photographer who also designs fancy wedding dresses, and when I went to deliver it, I saw he had a setup from the rapidly growing Chinese brand, Neewer, that he said was super cheap and very good. He further said that the light was less harsh than I'd get from shop lights, especially since they came with soft boxes, and both the intensity and the color temperature could be adjusted to suit on each unit. He also claimed that the CRI was really good.

However, when I went to look online, it seemed like there were dozens of different options, and so I wonder whether any of you have experience with these? Or particular recommendations of which setups would best suit our particular activity? I know that quite a number of you have shown setups with strobes, which are big bucks and require a camera that will energize them, but I prefer fixed lighting. I don't consider myself a "photographer" – it's just something that comes along with flipping – although I like to try for the best images I can muster. I use a Canon S120 P&S with manual control, but have become concerned that my images are less good than they were with fluorescent tubes and an older P&S. Any thoughts on the latest lighting kits? Thanks!

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Photography experts: I could use some advice about lighting. I have continued to "upgrade" my lighting (lol for some of you), but I'm not happy with it, as I think it may actually be too bright. This is largely because of the massive increases in power now available at low cost. After years of using fluorescents, I have been using the Harbor Freight LED shop lights, one above the mannequin, and one on each side, positioned vertically (actually hung from IV poles). Another hangs above the flat table. But they are super bright, and with 4 of them running, I have 20K lumens in the room, even though they do not produce much heat.

However, I recently sold a z-rack to a professional photographer who also designs fancy wedding dresses, and when I went to deliver it, I saw he had a setup from the rapidly growing Chinese brand, Neewer, that he said was super cheap and very good. He further said that the light was less harsh than I'd get from shop lights, especially since they came with soft boxes, and both the intensity and the color temperature could be adjusted to suit on each unit. He also claimed that the CRI was really good.

However, when I went to look online, it seemed like there were dozens of different options, and so I wonder whether any of you have experience with these? Or particular recommendations of which setups would best suit our particular activity? I know that quite a number of you have shown setups with strobes, which are big bucks and require a camera that will energize them, but I prefer fixed lighting. I don't consider myself a "photographer" – it's just something that comes along with flipping – although I like to try for the best images I can muster. I use a Canon S120 P&S with manual control, but have become concerned that my images are less good than they were with fluorescent tubes and an older P&S. Any thoughts on the latest lighting kits? Thanks!
Not a photography expert, but I did work for a lighting designer at my last "real job". I'd venture to say it's an issue with the kelvin color of the shop lights. I don't see it shown on their spec sheet either. You would want to find something in the 5000K-5500K Range, for daylight rendering.

Also, what's your mounting distance on the shop lights? You could be too close. The 5000 lumens are probably measured at a mounting height of 5 or 6 feet above the work surface.

Last edited:

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a photography expert, but I did work for a lighting designer at my last "real job". I'd venture to say it's an issue with the kelvin color of the shop lights. I don't see it shown on their spec sheet either. You would want to find something in the 5000K-5500K Range, for daylight rendering.

For sure. Swapping out the bulbs for daylight balanced ones would be worth a shot before buying a new setup.

@Sartoriamo

Could you post an example shot?

JackFlash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did some lighting research recently to make a better videoconference setup for myself. This Neewer set is often recommended and likely what the person had.

goatamous II

Reaction score
Morality question
sold a pair of eyeglass frames
got a message from the buyer, basically saying "my optician said these are the worst condition they've ever seen. my 20 year old glasses are better than these. it's been a while since I've been burned on ebay"

[FWIW - i'm no expert, but they seemed fine to me. ?‍♂️ ]

I haven't responded to the message yet, but just noticed that the buyer gave me positive feedback
I offer returns, so the only possible outcome I can see occurring is that I take the item back and refund the buyer

Would any of you even engage at this point or just move on?

haloitsme

Reaction score

I would use strobes over continuous light everyday, you get much „sharper“ picture.
Regarding color and K does not matter, as you shoot in RAW and do the settings afterwords.
I did a job for a professional e-commerce agency only uses Styleshoots now. They used to have strobes the most power and massive softboxes in a massive room. They told me light needs space to fully wrap the items and make artistic content but also e-commerce standard content with ghost manequins.

Honestly it depends on budget, they used very expensive eq. One of their lenses const more than my setup.

haloitsme

Reaction score
Morality question
got a message from the buyer, basically saying "my optician said these are the worst condition they've ever seen. my 20 year old glasses are better than these. it's been a while since I've been burned on ebay"

I haven't responded to the message yet, but just noticed that the buyer gave me positive feedback
I offer returns, so the only possible outcome I can see occurring is that I take the item back and refund the buyer

Depends on $$$.
If it’s low dollar item give him a partial store credit.
High ticket up to you.

div25sec9

Reaction score
Morality question

I would lean to just ignoring and moving on. You thought they were fine, and he thought they were great and left you positive feedback, so I think this is just a case of buyer's remorse. The idea that his optician discovered this unnoticed terrible condition is hard to believe. You will see from many instances on here where an un-named third-party expert supposedly weighs in.

notdos

Reaction score
Morality question

His optician just wants to sell him frames.

goatamous II

Reaction score
Thanks all
I was leaning that way but wanted to make sure I wasn't being a complete asshole (apparently i care?)
Happy Friday!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads