• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

txwoodworker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One for the block list if this rises to your level of someone to avoid, or maybe I'm just a seller you would like to avoid, because I'm not going to take pictures measuring an item. He was polite and apologetic in his request, which is nice, but no.

Here's our prior communication:
1606147677233.png

After I sent him this message, I added him to my blocked list. There was another set of messages asking if he could try things on (he's only a couple towns away) which I also declined.

Today I received this positive feedback today:

1606147880725.png

Huh, delivered to the same town as the person I blocked (the 1 feedback is mine)

1606148052260.png

1606147965756.png

Last edited:

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I assume know, but that should be removable. You can’t leave negative comments in a positive feedback. (At least you used to not be allowed. Who knows what’s changed.)

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh, sup “fam”.

Any creative way I can fight this? Buyer did a “not as described” on a pair of Ray Bans because the rubber arms are “sticky”. He says he has an identical pair, and the rubber arms are not sticky. He cleaned them and the stickiness remains.

If true, it seems to be a feature of the rubber (especially if it’s newly clean).

I don’t want to pay shipping to receive his old broken glasses.

Is there a good template to get back feedback extortion? A call to customer service? Help!

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^That question was not sexxy enough. Here’s another:

If one received a cassette tape apparently full of...sex noises(?)...or what is most likely the sound of people copulating — can you relist that on the ‘bay, or do you need to have some sort of adult designation?

idk, someone will probably buy it.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can I get a bit of assistance on sizing. This Allen Edmonds vest doesn't seem to have a tagged size. Chest measurement is 22" across, and the back length is 23".

Would this be a 42 Short? I'm a bit rusty, as I haven't listed a whole lot of menswear in the past few years...

IMG_9705.JPG
IMG_9714.JPG

carreragt7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, sup “fam”.

Any creative way I can fight this? Buyer did a “not as described” on a pair of Ray Bans because the rubber arms are “sticky”. He says he has an identical pair, and the rubber arms are not sticky. He cleaned them and the stickiness remains.

If true, it seems to be a feature of the rubber (especially if it’s newly clean).
Did he say what he used to attempt to clean them? Some cleaners would make vintage rubber gummy or sticky, so his cleaning may have altered the chemical composition of the arms in and of itself and thus be a modification and prevent him from being able to return. But in the world of eBay they’re probably just going to try to stick their own rubber thing somewhere in an attempt to please the buyer...

dad2bandm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...on a pair of Ray Bans because the rubber arms are “sticky”. He says he has an identical pair, and the rubber arms are not sticky. He cleaned them and the stickiness remains.

When some rubber components are *older*, the surface breaks down, giving it that very noticeable "sticky" feel to it.

Did you disclose it?

I collect old radios, and same thing happens to them. Rubbing alcohol or WD40 works. Prob don't want WD40 drenched glasses arms on your face though. Lol.

I had an old pair of Oakley's where same thing happened - it just happens from age.

Last edited:

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Some cleaners would make vintage rubber gummy or sticky, so his cleaning may have altered the chemical composition

When some rubber components are *older*, the surface breaks down, giving it that very noticeable "sticky" feel to it.

Thanks, thrift bros :fistbump:

I didn’t know that about rubber! I did not disclose any stickiness, as I didn’t notice anything amiss. Looking at the pics again, the writing still seems crisp and fresh, so I assumed these were not too old.

I’ll suggest a WD-40 bath with updated pics :D

DBA08038-DD19-4A22-94F9-B85D5AB213CC.jpeg
D397BD39-31EE-4022-A8E3-5B167980D7C0.jpeg

C3E4089B-A08B-4B08-A6F9-8A239260C8CF.jpeg

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks, thrift bros :fistbump:

I didn’t know that about rubber! I did not disclose any stickiness, as I didn’t notice anything amiss. Looking at the pics again, the writing still seems crisp and fresh, so I assumed these were not too old.

I’ll suggest a WD-40 bath with updated pics :D

View attachment 1505402 View attachment 1505400
View attachment 1505401

You’ve gotten some good answers, but I would go with simple rubbing alcohol. It may take going over it a few times, it will likely still be tacky doing it once and may appear worse at first.

I would also say he might be onto something. You can see from your pictures that stray lint is sticking to the rubber, so it may just be a 5 minute fix and you’re good to go.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sweet, I’ll pass that along... Never occurred to me to check for grabby rubber, but I’ll know next time.

Also, they dismissed the case! Thanks everyone for the advice. I appreciate it.

Tweets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some sunglasses come with sticky rubber though, Oakley has some that are activated by your sweat to become more sticky so they stay on.

Nell

Reaction score
Does anyone have an eBay phone number that still works? Struggling to get hold of an agent.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Does anyone have an eBay phone number that still works? Struggling to get hold of an agent.

Lately, even the ones that work, you can’t call directly. (Or you just reach an answering machine).

You have to go to eBay.com /seller help, and click on a button for an issue that lets you scroll to the bottom of the page to find an “I still need help” button.

Click that and it will give you the option to have someone call you.

I did this a couple times last week; I was called back within ten minutes despite what the wait time said.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads