• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sartoriamo

Reaction score
This topic comes up pretty frequently, and I think we all pretty much know that we all take returns whether we say we do or not. I have a no-returns policy, but I accept any return graciously, for any reason. My "no-returns policy" is so people will more likely ask questions prior to purchase, and for the most part, it works, as I get very few. [Shouldn't have said that.]

So I see any opportunity to accept a return without it escalating to a SNAD is a gift to the seller, as it doesn't require refund of shipping both ways. I look at the numbers very carefully, and if an item is worth less than a certain dollar amount (thirty bucks or less), I tell them to donate it, unless they have pissed me off. Now true, I don't usually list items that are that cheaper than that, as it is literally not worth my time, but if I put them on sale to blow them out, well maybe. After all, if it is barely worth my time to list an item at all, it's certainly not if I have to deal with that item twice. That said, I have been known to force a return of whatever type if I think someone is practicing douchebaggery, or hustling a partial refund. Screw them. Send it back!

In other words, what I do will be a function of how I perceive the buyer. I don't care about the hit either way . . . just part of the cost of doing business, and a helpful tax deduction.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks. I appreciate the replies. I will try to delay and maintain politeness.

i really hate it that he doesn’t accept returns himself, but is telling me it’s ridiculous not to. :lol:

FPB

Reaction score
Tags, buttons, not so much. Advertising something as new when it isn't, and has actual flaws, yes.

Correct. When I pay a premium for a NWT item it damn well better be NWT. If it's not, then the seller either lied or does not know what they are doing. Neither is acceptable to me, and I emailed the seller twice before leaving negative feedback.

FPB

Reaction score
Let’s be honest, do you care for tags, buttons? If you like the full experiences of Kiton you should go into the kiton boutique. If it’s new, no damage who cares? Just my 2 cents

An item advertised as NWT should be just that - a brand new item with tags and without flaws. Missing buttons means the item is flawed; missing tags means it's NWOT at best, and more than likely been used.

haloitsme

Reaction score
An item advertised as NWT should be just that - a brand new item with tags and without flaws. Missing buttons means the item is flawed; missing tags means it's NWOT at best, and more than likely been used.
I do not know what finally arrived at your door. Of corse i do understand that when tags are missing its NWOT.
I know to what seller you are referring to, i know him personally.
Just for me, if the buttons are missing for me that is ok, (because i know him and i know where he sources) if it is damaged complain, thats absolutely ok. Mistakes may happen, you have to decide. I think you should not be to picky if the item is just without tags, but when damaged different story.

Best

MJMcRibb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do not know what finally arrived at your door. Of corse i do understand that when tags are missing its NWOT.
I know to what seller you are referring to, i know him personally.
Just for me, if the buttons are missing for me that is ok, (because i know him and i know where he sources) if it is damaged complain, thats absolutely ok. Mistakes may happen, you have to decide. I think you should not be to picky if the item is just without tags, but when damaged different story.

Best
Whether the item "seems" new is not the issue. Anyone posting in this forum knows that a true "new with tags" item is going to sell at a premium. Mistakes can be made, but a dishonest seller listing an item as NWT that is not to make a few extra bucks is a different story. Either way, what was purchased, was not what was received.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
MY FIRST RETURN SAGA, PART III:

I know you guys were breathlessly awaiting an update, so here it is.

I replied to the customer with a knowledge flex, explaining why the football jersey isn’t a fake. He responds with “Well, you know your stuff...” — apparently conceding that it’s genuine — but goes on to say that he still just doesn’t like it. He asks me to decline the return request so he can “take it up with eBay”.

I DECLINED THAT REQUEST!

I know he’ll game the system, but I’m tired of shenanigans. At least I’ll make him work for it and he’ll have to wait 30-ish days for that sweet sixty bucks back, during which time his opioid dealer will have hopefully moved on.

When he files a fraudulent eBay or PayPal case, is there any creative action I can take while I’m getting screwed? Something like a cease and desist letter for feedback slander? Handing over his name for the local police department to keep on file, if he fraudulently claims there is something wrong with the item to bilk me or eBay out of money?

I know the good advice is just to ******** and let people walk all over you, but I gotta say, the global pandemic has shortened my fuse.

kbadgley84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MY FIRST RETURN SAGA, PART III:

I know you guys were breathlessly awaiting an update, so here it is.

I replied to the customer with a knowledge flex, explaining why the football jersey isn’t a fake. He responds with “Well, you know your stuff...” — apparently conceding that it’s genuine — but goes on to say that he still just doesn’t like it. He asks me to decline the return request so he can “take it up with eBay”.

I DECLINED THAT REQUEST!

I know he’ll game the system, but I’m tired of shenanigans. At least I’ll make him work for it and he’ll have to wait 30-ish days for that sweet sixty bucks back, during which time his opioid dealer will have hopefully moved on.

When he files a fraudulent eBay or PayPal case, is there any creative action I can take while I’m getting screwed? Something like a cease and desist letter for feedback slander? Handing over his name for the local police department to keep on file, if he fraudulently claims there is something wrong with the item to bilk me or eBay out of money?

I know the good advice is just to ******** and let people walk all over you, but I gotta say, the global pandemic has shortened my fuse.
He had one shot at a request on eBay then he has to go to PayPal, save all of your communications as evidence, PayPal should side with you at that point and if they do he’ll more than likely do a chargeback

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sold the wrong shoes and I no longer have the shoes that were ordered. The buyer wants to keep the shoes, but wants a partial refund. I am willing to give a partial refund. Do I need to run this by Ebay? I did ask him to return the shoes for a full refund. I think he has been wearing the shoes? :devil:

div25sec9

Reaction score
I sold the wrong shoes and I no longer have the shoes that were ordered. The buyer wants to keep the shoes, but wants a partial refund. I am willing to give a partial refund. Do I need to run this by Ebay? I did ask him to return the shoes for a full refund. I think he has been wearing the shoes? :devil:

If he agrees to a partial refund, that's an easy resolution. A partial refund is part of ebay's solutions so there's no worries there.

thebuddahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chaps, I need some help please.

Guy buys a jacket from me in December 2019, arrives safe, buyer gives positive feedback. Fast forward to today, almost 6 months after this I get a PayPal claim stating the coat is counterfeit (it’s not obv).

So...over the last six months turns out having looked through eBay this guy has been unsuccessfully trying to sell the jacket (using my original pictures I might add!) and it’s been relisted four times. On the last time it shows it sold for him (just over a week ago).

So what the hell so I do? Will Paypal even care if I show them that he’s sold it? Is he even told by Paypal to return it to me? Should I reach out to him and offer a return (see what he says) and upon receiving it (if he sends it) refund him?

I’ve been on eBay 20 years and these ******* stunts still piss me off. Tempted to call him on the phone (I have his phone number). Sigh. Advice would be welcome.

Reosymes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chaps, I need some help please.

Guy buys a jacket from me in December 2019, arrives safe, buyer gives positive feedback. Fast forward to today, almost 6 months after this I get a PayPal claim stating the coat is counterfeit (it’s not obv).

So...over the last six months turns out having looked through eBay this guy has been unsuccessfully trying to sell the jacket (using my original pictures I might add!) and it’s been relisted four times. On the last time it shows it sold for him (just over a week ago).

So what the hell so I do? Will Paypal even care if I show them that he’s sold it? Is he even told by Paypal to return it to me? Should I reach out to him and offer a return (see what he says) and upon receiving it (if he sends it) refund him?

I’ve been on eBay 20 years and these ******* stunts still piss me off. Tempted to call him on the phone (I have his phone number). Sigh. Advice would be welcome.

Carefully compile all the information you have about this in your documentation that you'll send to paypal. Make it easy for them to understand what's going on; include links/screenshots wherever appropriate. It'll take a while but you'll be fine.

thebuddahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Carefully compile all the information you have about this in your documentation that you'll send to paypal. Make it easy for them to understand what's going on; include links/screenshots wherever appropriate. It'll take a while but you'll be fine.

Should I first ask him to take a picture of the item so I at least know if he has it or not still?

goatamous II

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, was it PayPal that reached out to you regarding the claim or is it treated like an eBay claim (where you and the buyer discuss back and forth and then eventually ask eBay to step in)

I'm asking because I wouldn't reach out to the buyer unless you're being asked to try and reach a resolution first.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads