• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wumpyfish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For what it is worth, similar scenario couple three years, purchased on eBay from a member here who shall not be named, shipped with a poorly hand written shipping label, shown as delivered, never received, seller's and ebay's help was worthless, recourse was to file a stolen mail report, obligatory again worthless. The scan GPS possible, I doubt it though, mine ended 3 months later with a delivery, the street numbers had been transposed and my street name was almost illegible. My assumption is the carrier(not all) scans them as delivered early in their route as a short cut to the burdensome process of doing them at your door, my guess is mine went back to my local branch and gathered dust. I did go to my local branch several times to inquire, I was their dropping off so I had ask again. Have patience and a lot hope.

Last edited:

sjmin209

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Post Office does have the ability to see exactly where something was scanned, but you have to go in & convince them to look it up. Several years ago, I had somethign marked as delivered that never showed up. This often means that it was delivered to a local gas station (whose address is one digit off fro mmine). I checked there & they insisted that they hadn't received anything. I went to the P.O. & their GPS tracking showed it being scanned at the gas station. I never got the package, but I was able to use that info. as evidence that the package wasn't delivered.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So can you still get negative feedback if you cancel a sale? I’ve got a real bad feeling based on constant/rude messaging for a $30 t-shirt.

In other news, just wanted to give a mega- shout out to @capnwes, whose generous replies and knowledge dropping allowed me hold on to hundreds of dollars I would have otherwise lost during these perilous times. Thanks, man!

div25sec9

Reaction score
So can you still get negative feedback if you cancel a sale? I’ve got a real bad feeling based on constant/rude messaging for a $30 t-shirt.

Yes you can... I'd be sure to try to be as nice as possible but let him dig his own hole a bit, that way if something comes up in the future regarding the sale, you can get it cleared as he was already creating issues before receiving the item.

kurenai

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice sjmin209/wumpyfish

Super bummed out and upset over this whole thing - really leaves you feeling ******

Guess all I can do is to see if USPS can fix the situation + hope.

div25sec9

Reaction score
Finally received the return back from a "not as described" case. Turns out they took so long before opening the request because they were wearing the item. Tags were cut off and the blazer worn. All I get from ebay is "contact the buyer and see if they'll be willing to give back some of the refund"...thanks again ebay!

user for your blocked list: lgaflsss

madeinbogota

Reaction score
Finally received the return back from a "not as described" case. Turns out they took so long before opening the request because they were wearing the item. Tags were cut off and the blazer worn. All I get from ebay is "contact the buyer and see if they'll be willing to give back some of the refund"...thanks again ebay!

user for your blocked list: lgaflsss
Un-*******-believable. How do they expect to retain sellers if that's their business model?

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel for those of you who sell mostly designer brands. I mostly sell Brooks Brothers. BB buyers read the description. Thom Browne buyers don't seem to be able to read the description...This is typical (Two separate messages from the same guy):

Do you accept return? Right?

Is it 100% authentic thom browne shirt?
If not, full refund?​

Here is a cut and paste from the description of the item:

Genuine authentic Thom Browne
Return Policy: Return for full refund for any reason or no reason. Satisfaction Guaranteed!

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Un-*******-believable. How do they expect to retain sellers if that's their business model?

They are the only game in town. And here is something to consider, in a "my word against your word" between buyer and seller how do they find the truth? They can't. So they always give the benefit to the buyer. That's tough to swallow when you are a Top Rated Seller who has been a member for over 20 years and has 100% positive feedback and the buyer is some dipshit who opened his account yesterday.

But if you want to see some 'real' horseshit rules take a look at the terms of The Real Real.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What’s wrong with the Real Real? They claim (even though it’s bullshit) every item can be certified authentic by their expert staff.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What’s wrong with the Real Real? They claim (even though it’s bullshit) every item can be certified authentic by their expert staff.

There is nothing wrong with them as long as you don't mind paying a huge commission (50% IIRC) and giving them authority to discount what you are selling by 20% immediately.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going through a run of eBay and FB rejecting my ads, presumably because of brand protection. I don't know how anybody can be expected to sell pre-owned stuff under these rules. The latest is an ad on eBay with the heading "GANT Men's Black Dress Belt 3 cm Wide Size 104 cm / 41 in Made in Italy". Is there a reason why Gant would be blocked, or is there some other issue here?

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with them as long as you don't mind paying a huge commission (50% IIRC) and giving them authority to discount what you are selling by 20% immediately.

Ah. I’ve had decent luck as a buyer, including two common items their experts had classified as Women’s.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads