• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I purchased a bag from a Seller in Canada. I paid immediately and then five days later (yesterday) he cancelled the transaction.
I bid about $5 over his starting price, ($300) so I suspect that he was not happy that he only had one bidder and this was below what he expected it to sell for. Seems like pretty ****** behavior, IMHO. Worth complaining/reporting it?

drlivingston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Add kevlar to the no-no list for listings. It will trigger a VeRO response.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so i sold a fairly rare flight jacket, and the label said Aramid. that is the universal category of fiber of which the best known trade name is probably kevlar. you can look it up for yourself (or find the alternative) but there is a 'generic' industry term that will be a stand-in for a trade name - with kevlar, it is likely aramid. and that should be fine for a listing.

bert9000

Reaction score
Is there any way to cancel an eBay transaction without having it refund the buyer?

I thought I canceled something at the buyer’s request. I couldn’t refund (probably because it wasn’t really canceled) and refunded through PayPal. That was ok for awhile. Now the buyer realizes he didn’t get back his $25 international shipping from eBay. He opened a PayPal case against me, then messaged on eBay that he was opening the case to get eBay to reimburse his shipping. (The case is for item not received).

I’ve already paypaled him the $40 I received for the item. I’m worried eBay will cancel and refund an additional $40, then PayPal will make me pay him another $40 on top of that.

He’s a cheap but good-natured guy who speaks terrible English, making things difficult. Also eBay phone calls are out. :(
Have you resolved this? I believe if you had GSP, eBay will have received the shipping and they will be the ones to refund him.

bert9000

Reaction score
Just called eBay about a buyer getting around my blocked list. Shipping to a freight forwarder so I will go forward with the transaction. However, the rep on the phone actually confirmed to me that it was indeed the same person. I've called in the past and I'm pretty sure they say they're not able to tell you that information, or am I misremembering?

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Have you resolved this? I believe if you had GSP, eBay will have received the shipping and they will be the ones to refund him.

Not resolved! The PayPal case he initiated is in Spanish. It seems he did note that I refunded him the portion I received, which is good, I guess.

It looks like eBay hasn't refunded shipping because the purchase wasn't officially canceled. Thought I canceled it, but probably made an error.

bert9000

Reaction score
Not resolved! The PayPal case he initiated is in Spanish. It seems he did note that I refunded him the portion I received, which is good, I guess.

It looks like eBay hasn't refunded shipping because the purchase wasn't officially canceled. Thought I canceled it, but probably made an error.
It might just take a couple days for eBay to refund him. I remember one of my cases (buyer side) was open a while before eBay closed it and refunded me. This was on eBay, though, not PayPal.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so i sold a fairly rare flight jacket, and the label said Aramid. that is the universal category of fiber of which the best known trade name is probably kevlar. you can look it up for yourself (or find the alternative) but there is a 'generic' industry term that will be a stand-in for a trade name - with kevlar, it is likely aramid. and that should be fine for a listing.

I think that Kevlar and nomex are both subsets of Aramid but are different things. I have always associated an aramid flight jacket more closely to nomex which is notably fireproof or at least fire resistant. Kevlar I associate with bulletproof gear. All are Aramid, but I wouldn't call my flight jacket Kevlar. I would call the flight jacket Aramid and the flight suits nomex because that is what they are labeled IIRC. I spent some years wearing the stuff in the Marine Corps and I never heard anyone call a flight suit or the green issue flight jacket "Kevlar".

But I am open to the possibility that I am wrong on this.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sure. the point being is that there is usually an industry descriptor behind a trade name. just like velcro is hook-and-whatever, something that a reasonable buyer would be able to use as a search handle. i'm not really trying to do other folks' homework just pointing a starting place.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one considering suspending international shipping until this thing eases up?

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one considering suspending international shipping until this thing eases up?

I put a package destined for Spain in my mailbox this morning. We’ll see what happens...

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I put a package destined for Spain in my mailbox this morning. We’ll see what happens...

At very least I have one to Austria and one to Japan which have not been delivered after 7 or 8 weeks.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I already have, and I am not buying from overseas suppliers either.

Just as well; I took a chance with Virusmas and my Express parcel was still stuck in Melbourne two weeks after I posted it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads