• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

txwoodworker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Scammer would probably not bother w/ the wire and paypal transaction, there's easier ways to rip people off. If you're suspicious, just ask him about the address discrepancy. If it still sounds fishy after he responds, give him the half back and tell him thanks but no.

Nemley

Reaction score
Maybe i've just lost faith in humanity, but I wouldn't take the willingness to pay half via wire transfer as a sign it's not a scammer.

I'd say it would only make it easier for him. I'm giving him the opportunity to do a paypal payment which if he wants, he adds a comment "2 top Italian house suits". To which he can claim it was only 1 (if he disregards the fact one was paid for by wire transfer)

Am I right that there's no way of communicating anything to the buyer via PayPal (if he'd do the "2 suits" as payment reference), outside of the mail adress linked to his payment?

txwoodworker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this is exclusive to business accounts, but I can send an invoice to people and in it describe exactly what they're paying for. There is no real seller protection outside of eBay, so I don't think there is any real way to completely cover yourself.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is there any way to cancel an eBay transaction without having it refund the buyer?

I thought I canceled something at the buyer’s request. I couldn’t refund (probably because it wasn’t really canceled) and refunded through PayPal. That was ok for awhile. Now the buyer realizes he didn’t get back his $25 international shipping from eBay. He opened a PayPal case against me, then messaged on eBay that he was opening the case to get eBay to reimburse his shipping. (The case is for item not received).

I’ve already paypaled him the $40 I received for the item. I’m worried eBay will cancel and refund an additional $40, then PayPal will make me pay him another $40 on top of that.

He’s a cheap but good-natured guy who speaks terrible English, making things difficult. Also eBay phone calls are out. :(

goatamous II

Reaction score
Maybe i've just lost faith in humanity, but I wouldn't take the willingness to pay half via wire transfer as a sign it's not a scammer.

I'd say it would only make it easier for him. I'm giving him the opportunity to do a paypal payment which if he wants, he adds a comment "2 top Italian house suits". To which he can claim it was only 1 (if he disregards the fact one was paid for by wire transfer)

Am I right that there's no way of communicating anything to the buyer via PayPal (if he'd do the "2 suits" as payment reference), outside of the mail adress linked to his payment?

You could ask him to send via Paypal Gift
those are non-reversible [at least the last time i looked]

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm typically just an ebay buyer but I have a few things I'm looking to sell and want to make it as easy as possible. Question: I want to ship a pair of pants but I only see priority mail boxes and envelopes on the usps website. When I've purchased pants on ebay I've often received them in something that is more like a sealed plastic bag. Does anyone know where I can find these?

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I may have done this wrong, but hopefully it won't end up costing my customer anything. I just sold a Canali jacket to someone in Spain. The form on ebay said "If you know the Tariff code..." well, I didn't, so I left it blank. Besides, ebay should know that the jacket was made in Italy, because I filled that in when I created the listing. The shipping form, however, fills US in for country of origin. Largely for my future reference, is my guy going to get charged something because it says the jacket is US made? Would they not have gotten charged that if I'd gone to the trouble of figuring out the code for Italy? And finally, which country is supposed to be listed there--Italy as the place where the item was made, or the US as the country where the item is now coming from?

goatamous II

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm typically just an ebay buyer but I have a few things I'm looking to sell and want to make it as easy as possible. Question: I want to ship a pair of pants but I only see priority mail boxes and envelopes on the usps website. When I've purchased pants on ebay I've often received them in something that is more like a sealed plastic bag. Does anyone know where I can find these?

Or any variety of these - available in many shapes and sizes

The USPS flat rate envelope is bubble padded if I'm not mistaken

madeinbogota

Reaction score
One for the blocklists: davidtlai

Messaged me asking if I would take $20 off an item, has 91 positive feedback, so I agreed. "Purchased" the item but never paid and didn't respond to numerous messages.

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One for the blocklists: davidtlai

Messaged me asking if I would take $20 off an item, has 91 positive feedback, so I agreed. "Purchased" the item but never paid and didn't respond to numerous messages.
How long? I have had people not respond to several invoices, then filed the unpaid item with eBay, just to have them pay shortly before the case would have closed. Or even after when I’ve forgotten to go close it. It’s annoying, but I end up getting paid probably more than half the time.

madeinbogota

Reaction score
How long? I have had people not respond to several invoices, then filed the unpaid item with eBay, just to have them pay shortly before the case would have closed. Or even after when I’ve forgotten to go close it. It’s annoying, but I end up getting paid probably more than half the time.

It was 10 days as of today. I've actually had the same thing happen with cases being opened and then having someone pay, but there was radio silence on the buyer's part for days after the case was opened. Whatreyagonnadoaboutit ?‍♂️

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I ship pants in a USPS Priority Mail Padded Flat Rate Envelope if they are over 16 ounces. They are free but IIRC post offices don't stock them so you need to order them from the USPS website. The Padded Flat Rate Envelope is the Swiss Army Knife of USPS shipping. I use over 100 every month.

First Class Mail if 16 ounces or less. You can buy the plastic envelopes on ebay.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would appear that USPS has effed up shipping on a handful of orders I sent out on Saturday the 9th. The tracking updates on all of the First Class shipments sent to lower-48 zip codes all show “left Denver regional facility” more than once, and none have been delivered yet.

The Priority orders were not affected, and the FC package sent to the Northern Mariana Islands (a US territory) has been delivered.

Has anyone had a similar problem before? I’ll probably ask the Postmaster to put a trace on the orders if they aren’t update further by tomorrow (Wednesday is the only weekday I can get out).

dadjeans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I may have done this wrong, but hopefully it won't end up costing my customer anything. I just sold a Canali jacket to someone in Spain. The form on ebay said "If you know the Tariff code..." well, I didn't, so I left it blank. Besides, ebay should know that the jacket was made in Italy, because I filled that in when I created the listing. The shipping form, however, fills US in for country of origin. Largely for my future reference, is my guy going to get charged something because it says the jacket is US made? Would they not have gotten charged that if I'd gone to the trouble of figuring out the code for Italy? And finally, which country is supposed to be listed there--Italy as the place where the item was made, or the US as the country where the item is now coming from?
Don't sweat it.
  • The Tariff code is the Harmonized System (HS) Code, which tells the recipient's customs office what type of item you're sending (men's cotton pants, children's hats, etc.). The code has nothing to do with the country of origin. You also don't need to fill out the code. You just need to describe the item in the Description field and the recipient's customs office will know the HS Code.
  • You should list the country in which the item was made, not the country from which the item is shipped (so the form should say Italy, not US)
  • I doubt that the US/Italy distinction will change things all that much for the buyer.
  • Most EU buyers I've dealt with are expecting to have to pay some sort of fee when they receive an item. I doubt they'll be surprised if they get hit with charges.
  • What really matters is that the sale price on ebay matches with the declared value on the customs form.

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It would appear that USPS has effed up shipping on a handful of orders I sent out on Saturday the 9th. The tracking updates on all of the First Class shipments sent to lower-48 zip codes all show “left Denver regional facility” more than once, and none have been delivered yet.

The Priority orders were not affected, and the FC package sent to the Northern Mariana Islands (a US territory) has been delivered.

Has anyone had a similar problem before? I’ll probably ask the Postmaster to put a trace on the orders if they aren’t update further by tomorrow (Wednesday is the only weekday I can get out).

That sucks. In my experience, the only thing to do is wait it out. I put searches on a handful of items that the USPS lost track of, and it took them months to finally let me know that they couldn't figure out where the packages were. At that point, they had all finally arrived where they belonged, IIRC, but they were way overdue. I'd be curious to see if you have better luck with package tracing than I did, but for me it's been a big disappointment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics