• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have they gotten rid of the “maternity” option in the size type category for menswear yet?

Not sure about that, but I am happier knowing that I can always choose "Barbie" or "Astro Boy" under the "Character Family".

Hotel Cali

Reaction score
I'm a novice eBayer and have some questions for selling and shipping international.

(I have just read through the recent GSP / international discussion.)

My question is if I am selling to a buyer in Japan or South Korea, what would be the pitfall of listing some NOS vintage shoes at a

price of $50 with a shipping handling at $200
versus
price of $200 with a shipping handling at $50
versus
somewhere in between

The first way might would attract more interest since the heavy import tax is less.

bert9000

Reaction score
I'm a novice eBayer and have some questions for selling and shipping international.

(I have just read through the recent GSP / international discussion.)

My question is if I am selling to a buyer in Japan or South Korea, what would be the pitfall of listing some NOS vintage shoes at a

price of $50 with a shipping handling at $200
versus
price of $200 with a shipping handling at $50
versus
somewhere in between

The first way might would attract more interest since the heavy import tax is less.
They could send to a US address and you’d be out 200 dollars.

dadjeans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1582923724628.png

Sartoriamo

Reaction score
Is it true that if you opt in for Ebay's managed payments, you are ineligible for Working Capital loans?
Well, mostly yes and maybe a little no. I have used maybe seven or eight Working Capital loans and they have been terrific. In fact, I have one now for a recent major inventory purchase, and the principal reason I have ignored all of bay's entreaties to opt in to Managed Payments is because of concern that I will not be able to get further WC loans. I love that I get those loans (multiple times a year) with no credit check dinging my score, and can pay them back aggressively with 30% of sales. My last one was done in a month. Fantastic.

The issue appears to be that once everything goes to Managed Payments, PP will no longer have visibility of the $$ flowing through one's eBay business, which is required by the bank to underwrite the loan. Nor will they be able to deduct automatically. According to PP, they are "working" on how to get that visibility. But it may represent the end of an era.

The whole thing is essentially a pissing contest between eBay and PP about "who's going to get the fees" from all these transactions. It was all fine when eBay owned PP, but as soon as they unloaded PP, it was clear that they'd want the money from all their transactions to "stay in the system". And that hits the loans, since automatic payments will not be possible.

So I believe that, at the moment, Managed Payments will indeed disrupt WC loan availability, and I do not have a great deal of optimism that they will be able to figure it out, since they are essentially in competition now. Sucks big time.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So, I wore out the autofocus on the second 18-55mm lens since I thrifted my NIB Canon SL1 a few years back. Since a new lens is roughly $200 and the camera has nearly 300K clicks, I decided it's probably time for a new camera.

Decided to take a chance on an Amazon deal for a "Used, like new, damaged box" Canon T6, premium kit, (including 18-55mm and 75-300mm lenses) in hopes that it might actually be new camera in a damaged box. Figuring with Prime, I could return it if the camera was damaged. MSRP - $750, Price - $367

60460627588__E239FAA8-BDCE-4232-9E20-F9C9D5DB50AA.JPG

Damaged Box....um, Check

fullsizeoutput_be4b.jpeg

The crushed side of the box was the soft carrying case, shew...

Image 2-28-20 at 1.17 PM.jpg

Score!

I should be able to sell the new 75-300mm lens, since I already have one I rarely use, for about $165.
Total Cost - $202
Then I can sell the two worn out 18-55mm lenses for about $25 each.
Total Cost - $152
And the soft carrying case for about $20

Total Cost - $132, I'll take it.

Last edited:

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have ANOTHER international shipping question. Has anyone started using (or consciously decided against using) Ebay International Standard Delivery? I kinda know what it is, but I don't have any real way of evaluating whether or not it is a good idea, as compared with just checking off the box for First Class International. (In what I've looked at, I don't really see where the buyer saves shipping money with International Priority, maybe it is all in duties, etc. I can't even make heads or tails out of why my nearly identical listings have large differences in shipping costs. That's another post though.)

So: Ebay International Standard Delivery?

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have ANOTHER international shipping question. Has anyone started using (or consciously decided against using) Ebay International Standard Delivery? I kinda know what it is, but I don't have any real way of evaluating whether or not it is a good idea, as compared with just checking off the box for First Class International. (In what I've looked at, I don't really see where the buyer saves shipping money with International Priority, maybe it is all in duties, etc. I can't even make heads or tails out of why my nearly identical listings have large differences in shipping costs. That's another post though.)

So: Ebay International Standard Delivery?
It's basically an option for the seller who doesn't want to be hassled with shipping internationally directly.

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's basically an option for the seller who doesn't want to be hassled with shipping internationally directly.
I thought that was GSP, this sounds like it is still the seller shipping directly.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I thought that was GSP, this sounds like it is still the seller shipping directly.
It does sound that way in the announcement, but see here for the real details...

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It does sound that way in the announcement, but see here for the real details...

So, this is basical GSP with First Class international pricing as a possibility (at least on the item I was comparing shipping estimates for) and without ebay charging and collecting all the import duties, etc. Huh.
thanks for the info.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hopefully this isn’t anybody here:

These are listed as shell cordovan in title and description. Seller was notified that it is polished cobbler. Hopefully, winning bidder realizes they are not shell and returns. Seller refused to correct the error. What do you guys do? Let a buyer get tricked?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads