• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am trying to list a collectable Guerlain lipstick holder on eBay, via Garage Sale, and it is refusing to post the ad. I get an error saying "This item can't be listed or modified. The title and/or description may contain improper words, or the listing or seller may be in violation of eBay policy." I am having the same problem on Facebook. Is there some issue with Guerlain, or is it that I'm selling used lipstick, or maybe some other thing?

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Presidents Day doesn’t affect the 48 hours for opening unpaid item cases, does it?
I don’t understand why someone accepts an offer, and then doesn’t pay right away. How fast can you develop buyer’s remorse?!

madeinbogota

Reaction score
Presidents Day doesn’t affect the 48 hours for opening unpaid item cases, does it?
I don’t understand why someone accepts an offer, and then doesn’t pay right away. How fast can you develop buyer’s remorse?!
Happens far too regularly. Blows my mind what goes through these people's minds. I get at least a couple of them a month, sometimes with hundreds of feedback too.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It certainly might affect someone being on vacation with spotty internet access.

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It certainly might affect someone being on vacation with spotty internet access.
Perhaps. I’m still opening the case as soon as eBays system allows though.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps. I’m still opening the case as soon as eBays system allows though.

Of course, I'm just pointing out that there might be a perfectly legit reason for the buyer to have not paid yet. I can't tell you how many times I've had buyers wait until hours before I close unpaid item cases to pay.

MJMcRibb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Received a return today that I was reluctant to open, as I thought it was a suit this jackass open a "doesn't fit" case on and never shipped, so I had it closed. Had no other open returns so I couldn't figure it out. Return address name didn't come up in my PayPal so I finally saw the ordered number at the bottom of the label. Figured out it was a return that was supposed to have arrived in late December. It showed that held at the PO but no one could locate it when I showed up. I had already reimbursed the buyer because it wasn't their fault, so after a couple more calls to the PO and nothing to show for it, I was writing this off as $100+ loss. Nice little surprise!

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yo...

Someone bought something, paid, then said they didn’t realize how much international shipping would be (~$22), and asked if I could mail to an address he’ll be traveling to in the US.

It’s through the global shipping program, and the money’s already in my PayPal.

I told him I’d look into it. Is there anything I can do besides cancel the purchase? At this point I’d rather just say there’s nothing I can do (if I can’t) and roll the dice as this is getting old...

bert9000

Reaction score
Yo...

Someone bought something, paid, then said they didn’t realize how much international shipping would be (~$22), and asked if I could mail to an address he’ll be traveling to in the US.

It’s through the global shipping program, and the money’s already in my PayPal.

I told him I’d look into it. Is there anything I can do besides cancel the purchase? At this point I’d rather just say there’s nothing I can do (if I can’t) and roll the dice as this is getting old...
I don’t think you can refund the money he paid for the GSP. I think what he paid and what you received are different amounts.

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GSP shipping scares off a lot of buyers. It’s only frustrating when it scares them off too late. I had a buyer in Singapore (Sri Lanka? I don’t even remember exactly) bail out on a purchase when she saw the shipping charges. At least she contacted me and said something, asked me to cancel the sale, etc. I opened an unpaid item case with a buyer who accepted my offer and then disappeared. He’s Canada based, so I guess he ghosted when he saw the shipping.

When does GSP tell buyers what their shipping will be?

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Received a return today that I was reluctant to open, as I thought it was a suit this jackass open a "doesn't fit" case on and never shipped, so I had it closed. Had no other open returns so I couldn't figure it out. Return address name didn't come up in my PayPal so I finally saw the ordered number at the bottom of the label. Figured out it was a return that was supposed to have arrived in late December. It showed that held at the PO but no one could locate it when I showed up. I had already reimbursed the buyer because it wasn't their fault, so after a couple more calls to the PO and nothing to show for it, I was writing this off as $100+ loss. Nice little surprise!

standard $50 insurance from Priority post doesn't happen to apply i guess?

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
GSP shipping scares off a lot of buyers. It’s only frustrating when it scares them off too late. I had a buyer in Singapore (Sri Lanka? I don’t even remember exactly) bail out on a purchase when she saw the shipping charges. At least she contacted me and said something, asked me to cancel the sale, etc. I opened an unpaid item case with a buyer who accepted my offer and then disappeared. He’s Canada based, so I guess he ghosted when he saw the shipping.

It’s got to be at checkout, same as with sales tax and everything, right? I just can’t believe no on e knows before they hit pay.

bert9000

Reaction score

It’s got to be at checkout, same as with sales tax and everything, right? I just can’t believe no on e knows before they hit pay.

1582080519075.png

It used to clearly say shipping cost and "via Global Shipping Program" but I guess eBay changed it recently so now it's not as clear. Now the difference is GSP will have a line for import charges. Import charges show as 0.00 in this example but sometimes it goes up on checkout, so the buyer may not have known there were import charges until you accepted the offer. Don't know if that's a bug.

If I see Import charges I ask the seller to ship directly to me; most of the time they are willing.

madeinbogota

Reaction score
View attachment 1339620
It used to clearly say shipping cost and "via Global Shipping Program" but I guess eBay changed it recently so now it's not as clear. Now the difference is GSP will have a line for import charges. Import charges show as 0.00 in this example but sometimes it goes up on checkout, so the buyer may not have known there were import charges until you accepted the offer. Don't know if that's a bug.

If I see Import charges I ask the seller to ship directly to me; most of the time they are willing.

Shipping direct is definitely the way to go, I've had a lot of buyers ask to do this recently and have yet to run into an issue.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads