• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ken P

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guy purchased an item from me then listed it using my pictures and copy and pasted my item description. What’s my course of action here?

Also, I’m all for e-thrifting but some people just aren’t that bright. I had this item listed for about 4 months at $350 and he was the first serious offer I got at $200. He goes and reposts it for $346. Your problem now bud.

goatamous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Ken P I'd give him the benefit of the doubt that he wasn't e-thrifting to flip and instead is having buyers remorse (or it doesn't fit)

As for the pics, you could report him I believe. If it bugs you, that is

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guy purchased an item from me then listed it using my pictures and copy and pasted my item description. What’s my course of action here?

That would not concern me in the least.

kbadgley84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also, I’m all for e-thrifting but some people just aren’t that bright. I had this item listed for about 4 months at $350 and he was the first serious offer I got at $200. He goes and reposts it for $346. Your problem now bud.
I’ve reported it in the past and was told there is nothing they can/will do about it unless it is copyrighted material

drlivingston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hell, I would be flattered.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve reported it in the past and was told there is nothing they can/will do about it unless it is copyrighted material

Under US law, all photographs are copyrighted unless permission to use is explicitly granted.

Ken P

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Ken P I'd give him the benefit of the doubt that he wasn't e-thrifting to flip and instead is having buyers remorse (or it doesn't fit)

As for the pics, you could report him I believe. If it bugs you, that is

Agree. Probably just relisting for buyer's remorse reasons.

That would not concern me in the least.
Hell, I would be flattered.
Under US law, all photographs are copyrighted unless permission to use is explicitly granted.

Only bugs me because I spend a lot of time taking photos and it's part of my store's brand identity. It's a NWT L.B.M. 1911 sport coat of which I have a few in stock. I'd hate for buyers to be confused or mislead seeing my pictures on someone else's listing. I'm probably just nitpicking though.

I am going to try reporting it and seeing what eBay says. If they're fine with it I will let it be.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree. Probably just relisting for buyer's remorse reasons.

Only bugs me because I spend a lot of time taking photos and it's part of my store's brand identity. It's a NWT L.B.M. 1911 sport coat of which I have a few in stock. I'd hate for buyers to be confused or mislead seeing my pictures on someone else's listing. I'm probably just nitpicking though.

I am going to try reporting it and seeing what eBay says. If they're fine with it I will let it be.

It’s possible that eBay claims ownership over photos uploaded to their servers. I seem to recall some scuttlebutt about that a few years ago.

kbadgley84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well **** must be different in the Philippines then lol those F***ers never know what the hell they are talking about it’s so frustrating calling that i rarely do it anymore which is probably what they want anyway

drlivingston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only bugs me because I spend a lot of time taking photos and it's part of my store's brand identity.
That is why I would be flattered. Unlike you, my photos suck. So, if some dumbass used them, I would feel proud (and somewhat sad for him).

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

also true of novel words like 'velcro'... well that's a trademark but the governing concept is the same.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Have you reached out to him first? That would be my first step.

It’s so brazen (and so weird, thinking he’ll get more on the same platform with an identical ad) my first thought would be it just didn’t fit him and he resisted in the easiest way possible. I assume it’s on eBay, but on Grailed, their one-click relist literally duplicates everything about the original listing. Maybe that kind of approach is helping to normalize this behavior (kind of the way a few years ago, before the ascendency of Poshmark, I felt weird about sending offers).

I know I’d feel slightly burned and follow the listing, but short of the duplication, it’s celebrated e-thrifting behavior.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads