• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kbadgley84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe they did do US sizing for pairs made for Barney's (AKA the US market). I think if memory serves correct, every pair of C&J's that I've had that were made for Barney's had US sizing.
I had a pair for Barney’s that was US sized as well

Reosymes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I posted this a long time ago.

Look in the middle of the footbed. Usually C&J have sizing info there with the width represented as a number (5 being regular width). If it's US sized, D is regular width (5), if UK sized, it'll be narrow width (4 or lower).

See pic below of a UK sized 12 D C&J (ie. narrow). Bought this in B&S. Seller wasn't sure if the shoes were US or UK sized, but I took a gamble (and lost).

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I posted this a long time ago.

Look in the middle of the footbed. Usually C&J have sizing info there with the width represented as a number (5 being regular width). If it's US sized, D is regular width (5), if UK sized, it'll be narrow width (4 or lower).

See pic below of a UK sized 12 D C&J (ie. narrow). Bought this in B&S. Seller wasn't sure if the shoes were US or UK sized, but I took a gamble (and lost).

View attachment 1320000
Mine have 9 1/2 over a 4, so I guess that means they're a UK size?
(Which stinks, because I've already listed them.)

Reosymes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup, UK size. Is it an auction that's ending soon that you can't revise?

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The 2019 Paypal 1099Ks have started to roll out for those of us who meet the minimum threshold. Here is some info I have gathered from ebay and paypal reps concerning the 1099k and internet sale tax.

Problem. The 1099K gross total does indeed include the sales tax that ebay has been processing through Paypal for the past 2-3 months since they changed their collection method. However, the sales tax amount is not clearly broken out on the 1099K, and you will need to do it yourselves. Since eBay changed their sales tax collection method near the end of the year, running a ebay sales report will not give you an accurate total for the sales tax that was processed through paypal. Additionally the ebay report only goes back 90 days, so it will not be that useful in the future, unless you run the report at less than 90 day intervals.

Solution. You can download a CSV format report on your paypal activity page for the entire 2019 year. It may take a couple hours for the report to generate. Once it becomes available, open the CSV file in Excel/Numbers. You will see a Sales Tax column which will show you the sales tax collected by ebay though paypal payments (mainly only in November and December). *Note, depending on the specific report criteria you selected to download, you may see duplicate sales tax values for each transaction. If so, you will need to filter the "type" column to include only "Tax Collected by Partner". This will eliminate all the duplicates. Next you can (SUM) the sales tax column to get your sales tax total which should be deducted on your 2019 taxes, since it is not income.

When the managed payments changeover happens at some point this year, this will all change. So it may be a good idea to set up automatic downloads of the monthly ebay sales reports, if you aren't already using them, using ebay's file exchange. Once your payments are being processed though ebay that may be the only way to reconcile for 2020.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

madeinbogota

Reaction score
The 2019 Paypal 1099Ks have started to roll out for those of us who meet the minimum threshold. Here is some info I have gathered from ebay and paypal reps concerning the 1099k and internet sale tax.

Problem. The 1099K gross total does indeed include the sales tax that ebay has been processing through Paypal for the past 2-3 months since they changed their collection method. However, the sales tax amount is not clearly broken out on the 1099K, and you will need to do it yourselves. Since eBay changed their sales tax collection method near the end of the year, running a ebay sales report will not give you an accurate total for the sales tax that was processed through paypal. Additionally the ebay report only goes back 90 days, so it will not be that useful in the future, unless you run the report at less than 90 day intervals.

Solution. You can download a CSV format report on your paypal activity page for the entire 2019 year. It may take a couple hours for the report to generate. Once it becomes available, open the CSV file in Excel/Numbers. You will see a Sales Tax column which will show you the sales tax collected by ebay though paypal payments (mainly only in November and December). *Note, depending on the specific report criteria you selected to download, you may see duplicate sales tax values for each transaction. If so, you will need to filter the "type" column to include only "Tax Collected by Partner". This will eliminate all the duplicates. Next you can (SUM) the sales tax column to get your sales tax total which should be deducted on your 2019 taxes, since it is not income.

When the managed payments changeover happens at some point this year, this will all change. So it may be a good idea to set up automatic downloads of the monthly ebay sales reports, if you aren't already using them, using ebay's file exchange. Once your payments are being processed though ebay that may be the only way to reconcile for 2020.

Hope that helps.

You're a godsend. One question, now that I'm at the PayPal activity page and ready to download the report, which of the three options should I choose? (Choices are "All Transactions", "Completed Payments", or "Balance Affecting").

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You're a godsend. One question, now that I'm at the PayPal activity page and ready to download the report, which of the three options should I choose? (Choices are "All Transactions", "Completed Payments", or "Balance Affecting").
I did "all transactions" and had to filter the results to eliminate the duplicates, plus it also included transactions for stuff I purchased. No harm in trying all three to see what they look like.

madeinbogota

Reaction score
I did "all transactions" and had to filter the results to eliminate the duplicates, plus it also included transactions for stuff I purchased. No harm in trying all three to see what they look like.

Perfect. If I'm ever near your neck of the woods (which I admittedly have no idea where that is), dinner is on me.

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, if anybody is still interested in my extortion saga, I think it is at an end. (There is at least one more path I'm aware of that he could take, but I'm hoping he's not that sophisticated.)
My polite versions of *do whatever you want* pushed him over the edge. Last night around 11 he messaged me saying that he could remove the negative feedback if I would Do The Right Thing before Monday morning. I thanked him for his message (because it was about as textbook an example of feedback extortion as I could have drafted for him, not that I told him that) and said that he could keep the suit or return the suit, I was fine with either. He stewed on that for about 5 hours, and this morning at 4:30 he closed the case deciding to keep the suit and have it tailored. Like he said he was going to need to do when he begged me down from my original asking price.

Anyway, I talked to an ebay rep this evening, the negative feedback is being removed, and he has a black mark on his record. She said it was his first offense--I'm surprised nobody has reported him before with the number of refunds his feedbacks for others refer to. My wife says people just don't know, and she's right, I wouldn't have known without this bunch here, so thanks!

drlivingston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, if anybody is still interested in my extortion saga, I think it is at an end. (There is at least one more path I'm aware of that he could take, but I'm hoping he's not that sophisticated.)
My polite versions of *do whatever you want* pushed him over the edge. Last night around 11 he messaged me saying that he could remove the negative feedback if I would Do The Right Thing before Monday morning. I thanked him for his message (because it was about as textbook an example of feedback extortion as I could have drafted for him, not that I told him that) and said that he could keep the suit or return the suit, I was fine with either. He stewed on that for about 5 hours, and this morning at 4:30 he closed the case deciding to keep the suit and have it tailored. Like he said he was going to need to do when he begged me down from my original asking price.

Anyway, I talked to an ebay rep this evening, the negative feedback is being removed, and he has a black mark on his record. She said it was his first offense--I'm surprised nobody has reported him before with the number of refunds his feedbacks for others refer to. My wife says people just don't know, and she's right, I wouldn't have known without this bunch here, so thanks!
I stay on the phone with them until the feedback is fixed/removed.

madeinbogota

Reaction score
I live just outside Gettysburg PA

Noted, next thriftcation there will be a stop there! @Patrologia glad your situation ended on a somewhat-high note. People never fail to amaze me on eBay.

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I stay on the phone with them until the feedback is fixed/removed.
She said it would take up to 24 hours to work its way through the system, was that blowing smoke? In any case, there's no sign of it anymore.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads