• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Seems to be return season. I got this this morning from a buyer who had begged and scraped to get the price he got on this suit:

New message from:XXX
I just opened the Box that you sent me with the suit in it. I am very unhappy with this item, because you said in your Listing that this Suit was in Excellent Condition. That is Not True. There has been a Repair on the Pants Top Waistband, that is very tacky, and can be seen easy. The treads seem like they are about to come apart. I have sent pictures of this item, so that you can see it for yourself. I am trying to understand, why you could not have seen this problem, before you shipped it to me. Anyway, I will be Returning this Item Back To You for a Full Refund.

A few pretty lousy pictures of some seam separation that I can't imagine that I missed, but whatever, so I apologized, and said I'd accept the return. In response, suddenly he's happier with the suit:

I like the suit, but I will have to take it to a Tailor, and maybe he can take the Waistband Apart, and do a Professional Job, where the Treads are Hidden. If you will agree to refund thirty dollars back to me, I will keep the suit and take it to a Tailor for Repair.

My assumption is that he pulled the seam apart intending to ask for a partial refund. No harm in pulling the seam apart, since when he was trying to negotiate me down, he mentioned that he'd need to have alterations done. I hate returns, because I'm already losing the Paypal money, will pay them again, will pay again to ship, and so the profit gets pretty thin. With the level of ethical behavior I'm dealing with though, I'm wondering how much more damage will be done if I insist of full or nothing. What says the Styleforum hive mind? Full return or do the partial?

ETA: Apparently he's nervous, he messaged me a third time asking if I got his partial refund request!
Tell him if he wears the jacket he won't see the waistband he intentionally ruined.

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this the get out of jail card I’m looking for?

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it to me, I just want to be sure it’ll sound like it to eBay. I haven’t had to do this before. So...
What are the steps from here? Especially since I have already said he could file a return and I’d accept.

kbadgley84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve gotten messages like that before and eBay never agreed with me, it’s hard emailing context to them sometimes, they need to see a clear “thrive me money or i will Leave negative feedback” before they start agreeing it’s extortion. Yku May get lucky tho. Try to trick him into saying something more damning

drlivingston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Given the communication evidence, I would request that he return it. It might take two or three calls, but I think you should be able to reverse any non-positive feedback. This is an underhanded attempt to get the suit for the price he originally offered. And, I would wager that either he or a relative will easily repair the waistband for free.

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's at the top of the phone screen shot with his extortiony message.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think he may have crossed the line already, but I would send a message something like this:

"Just to clarify, you won't leave negative feedback if I give you the partial refund?"

If he answers to the affirmative then you now have your Get Out of Jail Free card.

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That works? That sounds like entrapment to me.

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It works I’ve done it before
I’ll keep that in mind. I just got off the phone with eBay, and they say any negative feedback will be removed. This item accepted returns, so he can still do that. Which raises the question of why he asked in the first place...

bert9000

Reaction score
I’ll keep that in mind. I just got off the phone with eBay, and they say any negative feedback will be removed. This item accepted returns, so he can still do that. Which raises the question of why he asked in the first place...
He just wants a partial refund. Now that your ass is covered you can give him an ultimatum.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads