1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. jebarne

jebarne Distinguished Member

^^ one thing Wes gets in His photos is the jersey detail on the mannequin. Getting that detail and the right exposure on black and navy is rare.

The washout on the neck is the indicator to me that it's over exposed. I end up post reducing the shadow control to get both

2. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior Member

@TheNeedMachine

I agree with Rhyme, I much prefer the jacket in the first photo.

3. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

4. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Distinguished Member

ARGH! Ok i still have some tweaking to do - thanks y'all for the input. I do have a 2-bulb florescent on the floor I usually use to shine up the wall, but didn't use it this time due to the long length of the jacket - will pull the object further from the wall, raise it up, and use the light. I think suits & blazers etc will look a heck of a lot better too. Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014

5. rhyme

rhyme Senior Member

I dont like shooting past 800 iso - I rather lower the aperture then increase iso. Mine is usually around 200-400, brightness/saturation tool if needed

6. The Thin Man

The Thin Man Senior Member

It was just a suggestion that another poster made. Since I don't have good photography skills, and I had seen other people do it with S&D items, I thought i'd ask. Thanks.

7. stevent

stevent Distinguished Member

I had one recently where buyer requested I send express mail (which I did promptly the next morning) and since USPS doesn't scan much anymore it didn't show up on system so he promptly called me dishonest and a liar. Straight up told me he knew I was lying since he could tell express mail by tracking number. As he sent this early AM east coast time, I didn't wake up until after his second message demanding answers. Almost told him to f off but not worth feedback. Ended up refunding him as it didn't make delivery for some reason but still pretty ridiculous from the buyer. Just block and move on.

Yeah I think stock photos are quite normal as most items have a good amount of stock photos and fit photos of items. Much harder for stuff from thrift store / consignment as you would have to pinpoint exact item then find stock photos which is pretty much impossible

And as noob said fit pics all the time, and requests of stuff like can you hold your arms parallel to ground or photo is morning sun so I can see color etc.

8. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Distinguished Member

I've used stock photos for a new item, but never used. Gotta be careful tho - I used photos from the Barneys website for a Barbour item, Barbour reported it as copyright infringement and ebay ended my item and slapped my wrist. I had to point out to Barbour that the pics were not theirs - Barneys takes their own. They sent me a long apology email and contacted ebay to ensure I wasn't penalized, so I won in the end but was a real pain in the bum.

9. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Distinguished Member

Any other Canadian sellers notice the change in new shipping labels or is it just me?

10. FlorianQC

FlorianQC Distinguished Member

It's not just you -_-

I hate Canada Post :/

11. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Distinguished Member

When shipping Priority Express International to Australia, there isn't a signature confirmation option (grayed out) from eBay shipping. Do you guys normally have this or insurance? It is a $49.99 jacket, should I bother with insurance (it is only $1.65) or do I still get the free $50?

12. mack11211

mack11211 Distinguished Member

Dear Folks:

Sorry if this has been discussed earlier but:

As we all know, new seller standards take effect Aug 20.

Many things that should not be counted as 'defects' are counted and may push some current Top Rated sellers out of that category. And there is no way to contest these 'defect' designations, although some customer service reps tell me they are scheduled to get training this week on how to do this.

Like many of us, I've been tracking my 'defects' very carefully.

And when I checked this morning, a few of them seem to have disappeared. My count has gone down. Yay! But why?

13. green_machine

green_machine Senior Member

I lost TRS like 6 months ago and with the new performance ratings i will be at 1.4% of the 2% limit. So i am kind of happy.

In a way it is better for resellers because the description star was always an issue with my rating. I always had 100% feedback with 0-0.2% in all star aspects except the item as described star. I had 0.51% which killed my TRS status costing me hundreds each month.

The opened cases crap is an insane though. I just had someone open a case to return something that didn't fit. They didnt even message me. Just opened it.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014

14. hbkshin

hbkshin Distinguished Member

All my "Canceled Transactions" defects disappeared.

15. DanM

DanM Distinguished Member

If one case drops off, or I sell 20 items this week (my sales have been ridiculously slow the last 6 weeks) without any new cases opened, I'll keep my TRS status. Two of the cases in the evaluation period are bullshit, buyer complaining about fit issues and clearly didn't read the measurements. In both cases I took a return and resold the item with no problem, preferring to keep my perfect feedback record. The new seller standards are total crap, designed to cut back on the shipping discount that ebay offers.