Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

I've been clicking on the same things for 10 minutes now, without finding it. How do I run a report of my feedback to see which were left with less than 3 stars of item as described? Thanks!

2. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

Man, get home to an item as not described case. Guy says the tie has a big gash in it about 2.5 inches from the tip, I ask him to provide a photo...

My photo from the auction:
    [​IMG]

His photo of the slit.
    [​IMG]

Do you think he used scissors when he opened the poly bag....refund issued...[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  3. FlorianQC

FlorianQC Senior member

wtf? Why would you do that? It's clearly a problem on its end...

4. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Yes, I do think he cut it when opening. Looks like a nice new clean cut to me - no fraying at the edges yet...and obviously was not in your original photo.

5. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

Two fold:
    1.) Tie was described without a slice, he provides evidence it was received with a slice. Not sure what defense I have other than, "Nope, was your fault."
    2.) He actually bought 9 individual ties at once, and I combine shipping on all of them. The refund on that one tie was $10. $10 isn't worth 9 potential negative feedbacks (or even 1 negative feedback). His response to my last message/refund was "Thank you so much for offering a refund. As always, you were exceptionally kind and generous. I will keep an eye on your store for more ties ;)" Guess I'll look at it as a $10 advertisement for high quality customer service...

6. FlorianQC

FlorianQC Senior member

Oh well that changes everything (8 other ties and this one being only 10$)!! I would have done the same thing :eek:

I thought that it was only one tie and an expensive one (this one is very nice btw). In this case, as nobody can prove it's his fault (it could be USPS, the mailman, etc. etc.) doesn't eBay refund the guy without question? That's why they keep 10% of our money you know...

7. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

That is a nice tie. What kind was it?

8. breakaway01

breakaway01 Senior member

Either should be fine but do not mix different light temperatures/types--it's nearly impossible to fix in post-processing.

9. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

From a sale today - PayPal said:

Buyer: Marc Jacobs

Hmmm.....

10. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

Just your middle of the road Brooks Brother Makers 3.5"x58 Silk Tie. The customer had a thing for paisley, the ties ranged from super small paisleys to gigantic mofos that I'd be scared to wear. I actually had titled this one BIG POPPA PAISLEY (reminded me of big poppa pump the WWF Wrestler lol):
    [​IMG]

11. The Thin Man

The Thin Man Senior member

Do people have legal or ethical concerns with posting lookbook photos with items? I assume that viewers will know they're lookbook photos, but if I do it, should I make it clear in the text?

12. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Why would you post other peoples photos with your items? (serious question)

13. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Thanks to breakaway01 with a little help on the camera setting I can now get them all pretty consistent without adjusting the camera at all. These are right out of the camera no editing. Same setting, not adjusting. Just point and shoot. AMAZING [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

I recommended this (for b&s) :embar:

It's pretty common for designer/sw&d items. For one thing, these kind of things have unusual or untraditional fits, something you really can't see unless the item is worn. (Buyers on b&s often request fit pics, which some sellers find annoying).

From the seller's POV, it's also akin to writing "RUNWAY" or something like that in the title -- it emphasizes its desirability or first-rateness, I guess, that it was an item the designer chose to showcase, rather than a diffusion piece.

Really, it's helpful to both parties. I was just speaking of b&s, though, where it's quite common; I have no idea whether it's frowned upon by eBay. The only objection I could see would be copyright...

15. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

Massive shoutout and thank you to @330CK. A few days ago he PMed me in response to a cry for help in the thrift thread, and spend about a half hour PMing/texting me as I tried to figure out which if any of a massive pile of bike gear to pick up. Following his advice, (that this brand is the "Brioni of cycling shoes"), I snagged a few NWOB pairs, and within 24 hours of posting sold all of them for more than he guessed I might get:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111430690194?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1559.l2649
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/121405424093?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1559.l2649
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/121405427242?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1559.l2649

Thanks man, and if I ever get the chance to return the favor please let me know :slayer: