1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Why would you post other peoples photos with your items? (serious question)

2. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Thanks to breakaway01 with a little help on the camera setting I can now get them all pretty consistent without adjusting the camera at all. These are right out of the camera no editing. Same setting, not adjusting. Just point and shoot. AMAZING [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014

3. noob in 89

noob in 89 Distinguished Member

I recommended this (for b&s) :embar:

It's pretty common for designer/sw&d items. For one thing, these kind of things have unusual or untraditional fits, something you really can't see unless the item is worn. (Buyers on b&s often request fit pics, which some sellers find annoying).

From the seller's POV, it's also akin to writing "RUNWAY" or something like that in the title -- it emphasizes its desirability or first-rateness, I guess, that it was an item the designer chose to showcase, rather than a diffusion piece.

Really, it's helpful to both parties. I was just speaking of b&s, though, where it's quite common; I have no idea whether it's frowned upon by eBay. The only objection I could see would be copyright...

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014

4. hooker4186

hooker4186 Distinguished Member

Massive shoutout and thank you to @330CK. A few days ago he PMed me in response to a cry for help in the thrift thread, and spend about a half hour PMing/texting me as I tried to figure out which if any of a massive pile of bike gear to pick up. Following his advice, (that this brand is the "Brioni of cycling shoes"), I snagged a few NWOB pairs, and within 24 hours of posting sold all of them for more than he guessed I might get:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111430690194?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1559.l2649
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/121405424093?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1559.l2649
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/121405427242?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1559.l2649

Thanks man, and if I ever get the chance to return the favor please let me know :slayer:

5. ATLjon

ATLjon Distinguished Member

I don't know if I should press this issue with ebay. She's blocked, and her shitty way of dealing with things is now out in the open, so that's probably enough. Would ebay possibly refund me the $15?

Woke up to this feedback from her:

A++++++++++++Ebay seller, I love it !!!!

And an email asking why I don't want her to leave feedback. Oh, well. On top of this, I had two unpaid cases to deal with. Ebay is great fun.

6. Fueco

Fueco Distinguished Member

Yep, Sidis are generally worth picking up. I sold a 20+ year old dead stock pair for nearly $200 earlier this year. :)

7. Tyrone MacStiophain

Tyrone MacStiophain Distinguished Member

In a little over a week I'll be leaving town for 11 days, and I want to make sure none of my auctions close while I'm away. Several of them are scheduled to automatically relist, however. I don't see an obvious way to change this on the "edit multiple listings" page. Does anyone know a quick way to make sure all of my items DON'T automatically relist?

8. Snoogz

Snoogz Distinguished Member

I'm not sure I've ever used automatic relists. I would suggest the auctions that are ended, you schedule the relist to be able to have them start on a specific desired day to coinside with ur travels

9. Reosymes

Reosymes Senior Member

So, we mutually cancelled the transaction the next day after I immediately refunded him his money + return shipping + letter of apology.

Next day:

[​IMG]

And now I get this:

[​IMG]

I go to to report and it sends me to this page where it says I have no defects, but I'm guessing it's ebay servers being slow.

[​IMG]
    Here's this guy, thinking he's going above and beyond to 'help' me out by leaving positive feedback when he didn't have to. And it ends up with me getting a defect.

Ebay has to do a better job of educating buyers about feedback and what it means to sellers.

Edit: What do you think about ebay warning them before leaving bad ratings? Like, if you've chosen to leave negative feedback, do whatever the hell you want, but if you're leaving positive feedback, then some pop up to the effect of "Choosing 2 stars for this category is a form of negative feedback to the seller. Do you wish to continue?". Of course, I'm not wording it right. Too tilted for that. My thought is that ebay needs to communicate to them that their words are less important than the 'star rating' they leave the seller.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014

10. My Main Man

My Main Man Distinguished Member

Fucking USPS. Shipped a shirt to TX and for some reason, it's in North Dakota. When I track it, I get this message:

"Expected Delivery Day: Wednesday, August 6, 2014.
    Your item was forwarded to a different address at 11:14 pm on August 7, 2014 in FARGO, ND. This was because of forwarding instructions or because the address or ZIP Code on the label was incorrect. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.
    "

I did a google maps search of the address on the label and it's completely 100% correct. It was supposed to be delivered this past Wednesday. If I issue this guy a shipping refund, will USPS reimburse me? Should I have the buyer open a case through eBay?

11. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Distinguished Member

Have you confirmed the correct address with the buyer? If not, this just leads to believe he moved and didn't update his address in PayPal.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014

12. FlorianQC

FlorianQC Distinguished Member

Did you contact the buyer to explain the situation? Maybe he'll be totally cool with it (if finally it ships right) and he will obviously know that it's USPS fault and not yours... You'll have a good laugh about why the fuck it shipped to ND instead of TX :D

13. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Distinguished Member

Just bought a Mac and Garage Sale. (typing this on my pc laptop while the Mac updates.)
    Lifetime PC user, this mac shit has a serious learning curve. Going to get up to speed on GS, then...
    [​IMG]

14. Koala-T

Koala-T Distinguished Member

15. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Distinguished Member

Is that near Sag Harbor? If so, tell them to just stop making jackets that goodwill workers place in the menswear section.