1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Woohoo, I just shipped something to someone who once was a senior-level management type at Ebay (he's a CPO at another tech company now). Fingers crossed that he's a good customer. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

The box is not free and shipping in a box is more expensive than in a pre-paid satchel. Because you are comparing US and Australian postage regimes, it’s like comparing apples and oranges. My point was that sending ties in a box is not mandatory; they are not the kind of item that demands that level of protection, IMO.

3. California Dreamer

Sorry, I don’t know what a PMFRE is, so I’m not clear what you’re saying.

4. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelope. Costs $4.95 if you have the shipping discount on eBay

5. California Dreamer

If you live in the USA ...

6. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

That was implied. I don't know what the argument is, just answering the question

7. rhz5001

rhz5001 Senior member

Says XL and Man and fits like a Small with short sleeves. What is this thing!?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

How many synonyms do you want for tacky?

:p

9. California Dreamer

I’m not arguing, I’m just trying to get people to understand that their ideas about postage services are not universally true. My original point was that ties don’t need to be shipped in a box, that’s all.

10. ridethecliche

Mailing boxes/flat rate envelopes etc are covered by USPS. You can order them for free from their website.

If you live in the US of course. The majority of posters on here are from the US so it's hard to give you solutions for aussie shipping issues.

11. rhz5001

rhz5001 Senior member

haha I've got that part covered, but are they lady synonyms or man synonyms?!

12. California Dreamer

I guess people continue to majorly miss the point. I’m not seeking solutions, I am saying that ties don’t need to be shipped in a box. I was just later responding to somebody who claimed there was no difference in price, that’s all.

Spoo seems to be saying that he’s shipped thousands of ties without using a box, so I am pleased to hear that I am not taking undue risks.

13. ridethecliche

Flat rate envelopes aren't boxes. I guess I kind of missed your point, but not everyone ships them in boxes.

I shipped a tie the other week in a small flat rate box after wrapping it. The box was free and it was like 5 bucks to ship. The buyer paid for shipping so w/e.

14. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

Hi, has anyone won a "this is fake case" and what exactly you said to win? This is the item http://www.ebay.com/itm/141571575700

This is the message

To whom this may concern, I received my shirt today to my surprise the shirt is not a real Armani . the tags are not in the right place and the two tags that gives reference to size and material was cut off. so i'm a bit curious how you would know this shirt is a 17 1/2 36-37? Italian shirts uses eu and us numerical numbering system in there clothing, as well a tag stating what type of material. this was cut out, this is clearly not a Giorgio Armani, at best this is a $15 cotton blend shirt.

Side note being its 100% real and I think MOP buttons also

15. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

That vintage is maybe 30 Years - 20?
    So then cloth probably feels bad compared to current armani black label / colleczooni
    Which is why he would think it's fake

16. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

It's finally time! I'm about to get a new MacBook Pro... Hopefully it will do wonders for my productivity.

17. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Super jealous. Deets on what ur building??

You selling your old one? If so, how much would it fetch?

I'm in a similar situation as yourself, without the opportunity to purchase right now though.

18. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

I don't even bother fighting, if it's something I got from a thrift/resale or otherwise did not buy it new...no proof, no way to fight. I had a buyer open a case as "fake" on a legit Burberry 100% cashmere scarf; I accepted the return without a 2nd thought - guy wrote back that he's pretty sure it was not fake but also wasn't 100% sure it was real...whatever...resold it for about the same amount of $. I'm not going to waste time fighting BS returns in order to recoup time already spent photographing & listing. My margins are not that narrow and I get very few returns - accept with a smile, block if warranted, save aggravation and perhaps 100% eBay status, and move on.

As far as MOP buttons, that doesn't mean too much. They're cheap as heck. Cheaper still for "smoked".

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
    2 people like this.
  19. marc roberto

marc roberto Senior member

Those buttons look exactly like those on an armani shirt I had about 17 years ago, so definitely looks real to me, just old.

20. labravajazz

labravajazz Senior member

+1 it's real Armani I have a couple shirts look very similar label