Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Today has been my most insane sales day ever.... Yeah, I sold one of the big lenses.

$5000+ in sales since noon. [​IMG]

2. FlorianQC

FlorianQC Senior member

Well, that's reassuring... I though it got to me but it looks like it's common [​IMG]
    And I used to be a bitch about girls who had 51654564 pairs of shoes and 6874867687 tops :x

3. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

If the tie were a desirable one and the flaws not visible when worn, I might sell it but usually steer clear of listing damaged ties. I'd describe it as pre-owned, with a snag and a thread pull and say where they are - photograph with a coin to show extent, and say it needs a pressing. But unless it's a recent Ferragamo, Herm├Ęs, Brioni etc I wouldn't sell it at all, personally.

4. concealed

concealed Senior member

Bah, so I had two nearly identical items, just different sizes. One sold. I shipped it ASAP. Turns out I sent the wrong one. Buyer sends message on receipt flipping out, acts like I was trying to rip him off. Immediately explained mistake, gave him my cell number. We talked a bit, ended up deciding on me giving him a full refund, and he could keep wrong product. I initiate refund, and cancel. He eventually accepts cancel, but then leaves a neutral feedback. Can feedback be removed on the grounds that we canceled the transaction using "buyer returns product for refund" category? How badly do neutrals affect feedback score? Worth wasting 10-20 minutes on phone with eBay support?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014

5. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

They won't remove the neutral. The only thing to do is request the buyer to change it. No effect on your feedback score, but it will be a defect on your seller rating for the next 90 days (whether he changes it or not).

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014

6. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

Neutrals literally don't impact your feedback score, but it is a ding on defects. Definitely worth calling eBay about and seeing if you can get it removed, though. Lower defect rating = higher Best Match placement.

7. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

I feel like we eat up this "higher best match placement" practice. Almost everything affects that, and sometimes I get frustrated because its never clear on how low or high we are in terms of "higher" or "lower" generalized terms. Sometimes you just have to keep on chugging and know you are doing the right thing, or else these placements will eat you alive with every move you question.

8. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

9. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

I honestly think I don't get any views from Best Match, too many people who've done this longer and with higher feedbacks than I. I think nearly all my views come from google advertisements, Sty-Fo, and AAAC. Maybe the odd views here and there from Wordpress/Tumblr.

10. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

You do Google adverts?

11. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

Yep, I suspended them for the time being so I can get a metric of how effective they are, but I ran them for the past 3 or 4 months now. Contemplating Reddit adverts targetted to specific subreddits, but they cost per view as well as click unlike google where you only pay per click.

12. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

What were you spending per month on the Google ads (if you don't mind my asking)?

13. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

Started at 50, upped it to 100 a month the last month to see what a difference it'd make.

14. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

I'd love to hear whether or not you think it was effective, after you've taken some time without it.

15. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Has anyone seen the new eBay Valet App? It is a new consignment service ran by eBay 30% to them.