Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Someone who still has login info for the deadbeat buyer / blacklist, please add eBay username "jbabb2012". They won something as the high bidder and then let me know they had no intention to pay for it. Normally I wouldn't grouse too much, but it was almost $100, and they have a feedback rating of "1" so may / may not try their shenanigans again.

2. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Not the sellers problem. If the buyer lives in a neighborhood / building / area where there's a chance the package might be swiped, the buyer needs to have it shipped to their work address or whatnot (yes flies in the face of "PayPal verified address" but you can have more than one last I checked - I used to have things shipped to work or home depending on what it was). If sent with delivery confirmation, and the buyer can see the USPS says it was delivered, what more can the seller do? Nothing...

3. stevent

stevent Senior member

Any way to ship with USPS to England with tracking other than EMS?

4. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

registered first class. Same price as first class + $12 for registered service. 4lb limit.

5. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

6. Steve Papas

Steve Papas Well-Known Member

I follow the international trading forum on eBay. The overwhelming opinion from experienced sellers on eBay, is that if you want to maximize your profit, then ship items the cheapest shipping method possible. This means no tracking number , no delivery confirmation. The lower shipping costs encourages higher sales. In the thousands of items that they ship, they only lose a couple. You may be LOL at the notion that there is such a thing an honest buyer, but the reality is dishonest buyers only make up a small tiny fraction. The overwhelming majority are honest.

I want to stress that the point of this post is not to criticize people on their shipping method, but to criticize people who think all buyers are dishonest.

7. FondDeJante

FondDeJante Active Member

My usual response to similar bizarre questions is to send a reply welcoming them to my blocked bidder list; I'd rather not sell to someone like this since I would expect that their lack of understanding of what they are buying could lead to further problems (eg return requests and possible bad feedback since they have inadvertently purchased something that is not right for them).

8. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Considering they can make a second account and fuck with your auctions, that's really stupid.

9. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

+1. I made the mistake of telling someone they had been blocked once. The next several days I was harassed by a few different usernames, all of which I think were either the same person or close friends of the original person. I lived in fear of a SNAD case for a month. Nothing ever happened, but it was a bad feeling.

The best thing to do is either silently block them, or kindly answer every stupid question they have. They will likely have more than one. I usually start the answer with "As stated in the listing description..." Usually they get the hint that they need to read the information I provided in the listing.

10. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG]

11. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

USPS informed me today that, shipping registered internationally, the insurance limit is $47. Yes, that exact random amount. No matter package value. Nor can you add insurance for a price. It's capped at $47. So express is the only way for me from now on.

12. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  13. catside

catside Senior member

Did anybody shipped to Russia with regular mail? Is it reliable? Same question with Israel.

14. concealed

concealed Senior member

I had a terrible experience sending something to Russia, post offices over there shuffled it around for a few weeks. It eventually was returned to me.

15. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012