Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

He's a local, and has bought from me as well - saw him on the block list and removed him from mine. Had 1 or 2 others who must have had old / bad transactions who asked why they were blocked from buying & bidding - checked their feedback and all was good, so removed. Not sure how well the older entries on the SF block list serve us.

2. Reosymes

Reosymes Senior member

I guess I am a big boy now. Got my first return (and I don't accept returns). Listed a tie with water damage, fading, etc. It was an Isaia 7 fold so I figured maybe there was enough silk that someone might want to repurpose it as a pocket square or whatever. Clearly mentioned that the fading should be assumed to be permanent. Got the tie back in the mail today with a very stern letter from the buyer. He bought it thinking he could get his drycleaner to work his magic, but he couldn't. His point is that I should've been more explicit and said 'dirty' etc. in the listing.

I want to refund him totally, including return shipping, but paypal can only refund 100%, not more than that (so should I just send him the return shipping cost as a separate payment?). Already refunded him. He's willing to mutually cancel the transaction when he gets the refund. Will I auto-defect myself if I open a 'cancel transaction' case? And should I first refund him first before opening it?

Questions, questions.

Thanks. Goddamnit!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  3. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Never had an issue with him either. btw, didn't know he was on SF, whats his username?

very generous, and also, you may be insane [​IMG]

--
    I seem to use my block list as a means of revenge, instead of verbally taking it out on the buyer in messages. I bite my tongue when in a confrontation, and sting them when they turn their back. But seriously, all added have been legitimate.

You can manually send him some extra funds to his paypal email address if you so choose to.

4. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Make sure to choose the "buyer returning item for refund" in the cancel transaction and you will be fine. You only get defects for "seller issues" like out of stock or OTHER. Never choose other, always choose "buyer return for refund" or buyer changed mind, etc

5. Reosymes

Reosymes Senior member

Quote:
    Thanks. Just did that.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  6. Tyrone MacStiophain

Tyrone MacStiophain Senior member

While I'm begging for info, can anyone confirm that this jacket is fresco? ("Is this fresco" is gonna be the new "is this grenadine", btw.)
    I had it dry cleaned and mended, only to find that it's a bit too broad in the shoulders. I plan to flip it, and I don't want to call it fresco if it's not.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Reosymes

Reosymes Senior member

Can't confirm if fresco, but it looks like hopsack to me.

8. suited

suited Senior member

It seems like my feedback percentage has taken a dive. It's roughly 53%. I leave every buyer positive feedback (minus a couple that were problem buyers). Sometimes I leave the feedback before they even receive the item, other times it's a week after they buy it. There's a disclaimer in my auction template under terms and conditions that says "We always leave positive feedback for our buyers. It might take a week or two, but we won't forget you."

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  9. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

My feedback percentage has actually jumped a lot lately. Haven't figured out actual percentage, but it's way higher than it was 4-5 months ago. Hoping that means that I'm doing something right.

Also, random question: I noticed that in your disclaimer, you wrote "we". I've noticed a lot of people doing that in different parts of their listings when I assume most of them are a one person operation. You very well may have a few people working on eBay stuff, but for people who are doing it solo who say "we", is there a benefit they're hoping for?

10. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I think that they are going for the "We're a company, not an individual" thing.

I prefer the personal touch, and always say 'I' or 'me'. Both routes have a benefit, depending on who your target audience is.

11. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

I think "we" gives an heir of legitimacy, as if you were working with a company rather than a guy running a business out of his basement or spare bedroom. I think that is what most people are going for when they do this, and I have to say it makes some sense, but it's probably a needless affectation on the whole. Doesn't mean I don't occasionally try it, though.

12. Reosymes

Reosymes Senior member

OK, so the transaction was mutually cancelled. Phew.

This incident, however, has made me nervous about ties. I'm really not sure what the expectations of a used tie are. This one has a tiny snag and what looks like a run on its narrow end. It is also slightly wrinkled as shown. Would you sell this tie? What language would you use to describe it? "8/10, minor wrinkles, a couple of snags" or would you take a picture of each minor snag? Spots and tears are easy to point out, and unambiguous. Not sure about anything else.

Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

Try some feedback cards.

[​IMG]

I had this made and I love it. I print them off Vistaprint everytime they run a special, usually costs 3-4 cents each (less if you bulk buy). Turned a 50ish percent feedback rate into 70ish percent.

14. suited

suited Senior member

Basically.
    I include a jazzy business card with every purchase that says "Thank you for shopping at Authentic Goods. We appreciate your business, and kindly request that you leave us positive feedback at your convenience." It also has my store address at the bottom.

15. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

I do something like this as well.