Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. FlorianQC

FlorianQC Senior member

I'm sure you miss Brionis and Kitons. Camp out of the store man :p

2. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

On this note, I prefer to hit a store or two right when they open, it's tranquil and otherwise the stores are ridiculously picked over by 1-2pm. Mon-Sat they open at 9, Sun is 10. So, I walked in at about 9:58AM on Sun morning and loaded my cart with about 4 pairs of unique shoes, all in the same odd size presumably from the same donor (9.5C or something like that). About 5 minutes later, I was in the suits, about 20 feet away from my cart when I looked back and saw an older gentleman probably in his 60's rifling through the shoes in my cart. I let him know that was my cart, and asked if I could help him with anything. He mentioned he had been in the store the night before, had bought a few pairs, and came back this morning hoping more would be put out. I had beaten him to it by about 5 minutes. He asked me if they were my size, I gave him a shifty glance and said "nope, but I have a few friends they are perfect for, would they be your size?" He pondered for a second, meanwhile I looked in his little pull along cart and there were 2-3 different sizes/styles of shoes, and he responded, "Nope, they would be for my son." (Mind you, he appeared to be in his mid 60's, so theoretically for his 40 year old son?) At that point we parted ways. The ironic part was when I got to the register, the cashier said he had actually showed up at 9am, but was an hour early since it was Sunday and thus left and came back.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  3. FlorianQC

FlorianQC Senior member

Ahah there's no age to thrift :D

One of my best hauls so far (in just 3 months of thrifting) was once in this Savers that I like a lot (lots of good stuff quite everytime)... So i went there, began with the blazers/suits section like I do all the time and there was literally nothing so I went to the shirts and etc. Out of curiosity I went back before leaving and BOOM 1 D&G suit, 1 Baldessarini suit, 1 Hugo Boss suit, 1 HB orphan and 1 Versace Collection orphan... ALL IN MY SIZE hehe. The stuff they put in the rack always depend on the time of day I think. If you go too early, there's nothing more than the day before, and if you go too late in the day, everything is already bought lol. I tried to talk to the crew to understand their pattern but there's really no pattern (at least in my stores). The 'production' crew arrives in the morning and start examining/tagging stuff, and when the mobile racks are full, they just go in the store and put them there. There's really no way to know when the stuff arrives :/ I guess that's the beauty of thrifting!

BTW I only kept the D&G suit (it's waiting for tailoring)... The others stuff were flipped and I made good money out of them. Yes there are people out there who buy pinstripes orphans... I always buy them when it's a recognized brand [​IMG][​IMG]

4. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

5. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  6. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

The one with the off center mustache made me laugh

7. suited

suited Senior member

Thanks, Wes.

8. wilay05

wilay05 Senior member

I had a return and the DC says it was delivered, but I have not received it. What should I do in this situation? Seems like I am going to have to eat it...

9. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

The consignment need a to be bigger
    Else is cool logo!!

10. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

11. COtoKS

COtoKS Senior member

Wanted to wait until I received payment to brag about this.

I thrifted these at the end of last year, and they've been sitting in my closet wrapped in plastic only because I thought they were cool to own. My girlfriend and I just moved in together and while I was organizing our spare bedroom, I unpacked them and thought "screw it." Created the BIN listing at 4:56 PM yesterday; they were snatched up before 5:30 PM. I've been keeping an eye on similar listings over the past 6 months, and I priced them extremely aggressively in my opinion.

12. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

Well, talk about a nice way to get some extra cash on your hands!

13. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

HOLY SHIZ!

14. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Congrats! Beautiful result.

15. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

:wow: