Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

I just read the manual and it refers you back to ebay that says you can set up one of 2 discounts, either 5% or 10% off.

My discount varies from 23% down to 7 or 8% on a SFRB. If I read that right, then there is no reasonable way to do that.

bottom line, I'd like a buyer to see the calculated cost of shipping, net of discount.

2. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Depending on how your followers are following you, they will lose the link and will have to find you again manually or just by chance. I did not lose any newsletter subscribers, or followers on the new user page, but I did disconnect with all members who had me in their saved sellers. You can't see how many people have you saved, so I have no idea how many I lost. 9 years worth I suppose, since that is the feature of the three that has been around since I started.

3. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

I am looking to change up my shipping pricing as well...I am tired of priority not being tracked all the way, and need to incorporate express more often.

4. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

On that note when I checked today it was much higher and should continue to increase till the month ends when no new items are being sold.

[​IMG]

5. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

FYI About authenticity disclaimers

I reported a listing for a knockoff Dunhill tie last night. When I arrived at the report page, there was an option in the drop down menu to report a listing with an authenticity disclaimer. Careful using them. Not sure why there seems to be a double standard with the guy Brian talked to at eBay....or if this is a relatively new reporting option.

Disclaimer policy

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014

6. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Read a certain way, that policy won't let you list anything for which you don't have 100% irrefutable proof of authenticity.

7. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

"Cause Spoo said so" isn't irrefutable proof?

8. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Have a webinar set up next Monday with Webinterpret (international eBay listing translation service), followed by a free trial of the service. Will report back on my findings.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014

9. Tyrone MacStiophain

Tyrone MacStiophain Senior member

Can I just vent about Craigslist shopping? I'm trying to find a big tent, preferably canvas, and I don't know how these damn sellers expect anyone to know what they're selling. No dimensions listed, often not a brand name. Invariably shitty pics, usually just from one angle with a rain fly up, so you can't see windows and vents, or better yet, just a picture of the bag that holds the tent.:brick: There might be a perfect tent in there, but I'll be damned if I'm going to drive out to see. :censored:

10. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

hmmmm, new member who just signed up today asking about my $800 boots....I replied but it sounds like the same scam as usual, no?

Quote:

11. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

Pretty much, anything to do with Africa on eBay is usually a scam. I'm sure someone has had a successful transaction with Africa but I've only ever seen scam attempts, various from "please mail to this address that isn't on my paypal/ebay" etc.

12. Reosymes

Reosymes Senior member

13. cloud5

cloud5 Active Member

hmmm...interesting. I got the same message...

14. cloud5

cloud5 Active Member

Is it bad that I actually emailed them?

15. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Read it, and all the replies...many of which said folks are selling most of their stuff elsewhere. What are the options these days? Etsy (and try to sneak it into either vintage or handmade)? You can't sell clothes etc on Amazon without a premier account or whatever which costs money. Grailed? Or maybe most of the comments are from sellers who don't hawk clothing etc...