Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

2. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

3. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

I know, right? Must have been some people just wanting to mess with the seller.

I like to occasionally browse sold listings in the Men's Clothing and Vintage sections and sort by highest price first, just to see what people are fighting over. Always turns up some interesting stuff.

4. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

I'm sorry if it's been asked already (didn't feel like going through the 979 pages) but I have a small question.

Let's say you find on eBay an item you'd like to acquire, but the seller is from Canada, do you disregard the item automatically (because of shipping fees and such)? If not, what would you prefer to see as a shipping price: a fixed shipping fee (example: 20$) or an exact quote depending on your location?

I'm trying to change things a little bit because I didn't have much luck with the items I posted a while back.

On another note: how many times do you try to sell an item before giving up and sending it to donation? Or do you simply post it over and over again hoping someday someone will bid on it?

5. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

I'm not sure you can do calculated shipping for international buyers - I have to set a flat rate for big chunks of the globe - i.e. Europe is one rate etc unless you really want to over-complicate how you list things each time. That said, flat rate is ok by me.

I'll relist several times - no set number. Sometimes let things rest a while, change how I list them, save for the right season etc. If it's a nicer item but just not getting bids, send to Spoo and forget about it...hope for a check later!

6. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

You can do calculated International.

7. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Correct. I have always used calculated shipping for international. The only problem is, the ebay calculation is often inflated, especially since it does not take into consideration any high volume shipping discounts you may be receiving. In light of this, I have recently begun merging all my listings to a low flat rate international shipping price. I was getting a dozen questions about the cost a week and I can only imagine how many international buyers just shopped somewhere else without even inquiring.

8. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

...but I don't know why one would, if shipping to the UK, Belgium, Sweden, etc is the same price; Japan and Australia the same, and so on. I flat-rate those as grouped chunks of the globe and don't do it separate any more than that.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014

9. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

Thanks guys!

10. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

I have flat rate int shipping, pants, ties, shirts $45, suits/sportcoats/shoes $55 or $59 depending on weight. Nice and simple and everything goes express mail.

11. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

There is a setting in Garagesale to "apply promotional shipping discount to international orders".

I was hoping that setting would pass along the 20% discount. Has anyone used the setting?

12. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

Re: The delay on ebay's end for tracking uploaded by carrier. I called ebay on this yesterday evening as well since I sold about 10 items Sun night which is crazy for me. My uploading tracking in ebay was at 99%, while the post office end was at like 87%, the ebay rep said this was due to there being 3 days left before the end of July and that it should clear itself up. It cleared itself up for the most part by this evening, but I'm still missing a few. He said ebay only updates this once per day, I'm not sure what time since when I checked this morning it was not updated.

13. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Hmm. I was under the impression (wether correct or not) that that had something to do with the combined shipping discount offered by the seller in the ebay settings. Either way, I think the flat rate system is working better. I have stopped getting so many questions about the shipping.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014

14. Tweets

Tweets Senior member

I think its been discussed previously, but couldn't find it...What's the disadvantages of changing your EBAY username?

Thanks