Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. FlorianQC

FlorianQC Senior member

Sorry man but i wasn't referring to your post at all, but thanks for your contempt! I was referring to 'hooker' post about my joke. I found fascinating the fact of using such a misogynistic screenname and busting me about a joke.
    I guess 99% of the US population won't know what à hooker is, rugby wise, and assume it is a prostitute, since rugby is not that popular here. I actually played 2nd row and 3rd row for most of my youth so I had a hooker's ass in my face during the scrums. And then the winner of the scrum would 'clean their clamps' on the adversary first row and so the hooker's back :D

Anyway if you dont like my posting, keep me in your block list and thats it. Nobody forces you to do anything.

2. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

If you're shipping to the North East this week keep waterproofness in mind, friggin monsoon here and it's not supposed to stop anytime soon.

For those who accept returns (specifically buyer pays return shipping), do you have any statistics, or a rough idea of what % of items are returned? I do not currently accept returns, but have thought about it as a way to avoid not as described cases and maintain top rated seller status. I'm also hypothesizing that the discounted shipping/reduced FVF will cover return expenses. I'm also interested in any general feedback from those who have made the switch to accepting returns? I'm a small/medium seller with around 90 sales in the past 60 days for reference.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014

3. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

Had a buyer contact me today. He bought a pair of shoes last night, but also tried to buy a Sports Coat but he said he was blocked from bidding on it.

I don't have him on my block list or he couldn't have bought the first item.

Any ideas for something on my end that I've done to restrict bidding on specific objects?

4. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

My Ebay>Account>Site Preferences>Buyer Requirements>Unhide>Edit. Review these, it may be something you have set, or it may be something external and related more towards the buyer. In other words, check "Buyers who may bid on several of my items and not pay for them" which is in your control, but if he has unpaid strikes external of your auctions it may be triggering "Buyers with Unpaid Item Strikes" which has nothing to do with your specific auctions.

5. Desi Montez

Desi Montez Well-Known Member

I sold a pair of shoes on ebay, and I think a buyer is going to open a SNAD case since I did not accept his return for what he said was significant scuffs, that were not there when I sold the item. He had the item for a week before saying anything. I honestly think he may have caused the damage and now wants to return them, does anyone have any experience with this?

6. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

If you are certain about no scuffs being present, then he apparently is lying. One route is to bait him for information while playing dumb/interested. Ask something on the lines of "Oh, did you notice the scuffs before wearing the shoes, or did they get worse after wearing them?" This is you assuming he wore them, and you are now awaiting his confirmation. If he has chosen to wear the shoes, he can no longer return the shoes, or file a SNAD case and win. Again, do be sure about no scuffs being present. Also, you can ask the buyer to upload pictures of the problem he is claiming, so you can look at them first to be sure they are different than when sold.

Do you have a link to the sold item?

7. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

I think there are trending items sometimes. When I get a better than expected response to an item I look to see if they have any current advertising campaigns, something that is making the brand trend that may have created interest in the listing.

4 stars is not a negative, 1,2,3 only.

My initial reaction to every customer complaint is that they are #$^##$%ing nuts and that they are trying to screw me. Truth is, I'm finding when I take a step back and take a breath, what they're complaining about is close enough to reality that they have a genuine complaint (in their eyes). I've learned am learning to work within the system, be as nice as possible in the response in a true "what can I do for you" customer service kind of way. This helps with getting negative feedback removed (if it comes to that).

8. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Has anyone shipped to Egypt with no problems? Multiple times with no buyer INR cases? I am thinking of adding them to my list of no deliveries.

9. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

Good point, but they're about 30 bucks a pop I'm figuring I can't lose anything but time on them. Will probably only sink what I made from the previous two which will net about 6 ties.

10. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

Here is what Wes uses and where to get them: http://www.styleforum.net/t/309281/...cks-problems-questions/11700_100#post_7055472 and also what Brianpore uses: http://www.styleforum.net/t/309281/...ricks-problems-questions/3450_30#post_6387556

I purchased my initial set of polys from amazon but found them cheaper on ebay. My last purchase was from this seller's store: http://stores.ebay.com/UPAKNSHIP?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Depending on how many bags/boxes you want to buy you'll have to price ebay v. uline. When I was considering tie boxes, 100 6x4x4 cost me $28.45 shipped: http://www.ebay.com/itm/390811201455?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 while 100 uline 6x3x3 would have been $25.00+$12.11=$36.11. If you're buying in bulk the uline quantity options may be a better choice.

Last, but not least, if you're in the US the USPS provides quite a few free boxes/envelopes as long as you ship priority mail.

11. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

12. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Awesomeness.

13. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I've got a larger magnet version coming for the back in the next day or so....you know, to give those people stuck in the traffic jam behind me something to do besides pick their noses.

14. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

I have something coming along the same lines - PM me your address and I'll mail you one when they arrive. :)

15. FlorianQC

FlorianQC Senior member

Lol you Linked it to your ebay?? Damn