1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

Sold some nice leather pants, person returns them because they are ripped and defective. I get them back today, and sure enough, they're ripped and defective, but they didn't go out that way.
    Listing:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=141569561042
    How they came back:
    [​IMG]
    Obviously used the belt loops to pull them up. This is super thin lambs leather. The loops are reinforced, but the reinforcing on the inside is ripped too.

What is my best approach with ebay, really not in the mood to eat this one. I feel particularly abused lately. Been on hold with them for >30 minutes, figure I have the time to get a few opinions.

2. Ds13

Ds13 Senior member

That blows, I would think that the picture you have in the listing (of that particular area) is decent evidence to help your case though!

I know that's not much help.

3. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I'll second what Dalton said. Call Ebay and explain what happened and that the pants weren't damaged when you sent them out. If you get a decent CS rep, you can certainly fight this.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  4. txwoodworker

Nope. Reiterated eBay's policy of the buyer is always right. Was an hour long phone call +45min on hold.
    So here's what I'm going to try. I messaged the buyer, and told them I can't accept the return and asked them if they wanted the item back, or I can offer them a $50 refund. My guess is I won't hear back from the buyer, but I feel I have to try. I am going to escalate the case in a couple days, which will be closed in the buyers favor, at which time I will appeal and get ebay to give me my money back. They won't hold the buyer accountable, but I should be able to get my money back. If there is a way to streamline this procedure, I'd sure like to know about it. I feel like I'm airing dirty laundry here sometimes, but hopefully I can glean some information that will help everyone here out when your time comes.
    I recorded the call, I got the person to read verbatim the script that says that the buyer is always right and that we should accept anything the buyer does as "the cost of doing business". I asked her if the policy was available on line, or available to sellers, she said it wasn't, I asked if she could email it to me, I don't think she answered. It was an eye opener to have that read to me, if buyers knew they could do absolutely anything with impunity, shit would get real ugly. I'll see if I can figure out how to post the call on youtube or something.

1 person likes this.
  5. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Interesting. It must really depend on who you get. I had a buyer remove a tag before returning a sweater, and Ebay covered me. I reported the buyer, uploaded a picture, and then called. I didn't even contact the buyer.

6. Ds13

Ds13 Senior member

nah, you're not airing dirty laundry. This thread helps a ton of us by gathering our experiences in one place. Good and bad.

1 person likes this.
  7. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Wow - that absolutely sucks. I'm sorry about that.
    However, I don't know if I'd go posting on youtube or elsewhere how eBay buyers can screw over sellers and get away with it.
    You're probably livid - I know I would be - buyer damages an item, tries to get a refund, and even if ruled in your favor you're still left with a damaged item that you couldn't possibly resell for the same amount.

1 person likes this.
  8. westie187

westie187 Senior member

This is exactly why I rarely if ever sell on the Bay anymore. Tire-kicking shitbirds who constantly return items and people blatantly ripping sellers off. All on the Bay's watch. Such a shame. eBay used to be great.

9. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Out of my last 700+ transactions, only two buyers caused any trouble for me. Ebay is still a very valuable place to sell stuff.

10. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

Side note, I've sold to this guy without issue... just saying

1 person likes this.
  11. Satmoche

Satmoche Senior member

Hi,
    I will be selling double monk strapped shoes but I was wondering at what price though.
    They have been cleaned / nourished / conditioned and I paid £260 (with the shoe trees). They are in excellent condition.
    Shall I put a starting price ? If so, what price would be reasonable ?
    Thank you.

12. Skatenc123

Skatenc123 Senior member

Well you didn't tell us any info what so ever on brand or type of leather. And i don't believe this type of question is really appropriate here. Look under the completed listings on ebay and see what like shoes sold for.

13. drlivingston

drlivingston Senior member

I'd say about tree fiddy.

2 people like this.
  14. txwoodworker

Here's the before and after pics, I escalated the case, at which I was able to finally upload the pics, let's see what happens.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Here's how the pants are supposed to be worn, tell me these weren't ripped trying to pull these on?
    [​IMG]

15. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Welp, no mistaking that...

16. Satmoche

Satmoche Senior member

Thank you !
    It's a pair of herring shoes, full leather, Goodyear Welted, mahogany calf.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  17. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Search Ebay completed listings.

18. Satmoche

Satmoche Senior member

Thank you !

19. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

20. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Yo tx - u got ur models on lock yo! Gonna have to grab me a live one when I step up into the leather game like yourself.

1 person likes this.