1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. FlorianQC

FlorianQC Distinguished Member

Thanks for the explanation. That's exactly the kind of understanding I wanted to have for those shoes.

Those are 12D so no way I'll hook a japanese doode. Except a sumotori maybe :)

2. ReubenR

ReubenR Senior Member

I don't think you mentioned Florian, but where were they made?

3. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Distinguished Member

I guess the link to the bulk shipping tool I posted was user specific, search around for the bulk shipping tool, or just wait until you have more than one item to ship, select them both and select ship, it should come up on its own. You can also see if it's buried in the site preferences section.

4. hbkshin

hbkshin Distinguished Member

Feedback cards seem to have raised my feedback received percentage from 30% to 50-60%. Glad I got them. Positive feedback rolls in quite often nowadays.

5. jebarne

jebarne Distinguished Member

the 5 nail and v-cleat would usually always be on the "Royal Imperial" line vs the "Imperial". But sometimes they're on the mainline imperial too.

In the 60s/70s, this was considered one of the best built shoes anywhere. When my dad passed away in October, I was cleaning out his stuff and he had 2 pair of black and one pair of brown florsheim wingtips that he got in the mid-60s. I had no idea he still had them.

When you run across great classic shoes like this, there's always a market. you'll probably get 20 pms on the forum wanting them. I always use this guy for ideas in how to list great classic shoes: http://www.classicshoesformen.com/s...brogue-derby-budapester-brown-circa-1985-445d

Longwings. Budapesters. Full Brogue. Double Leather Soles.

That said, great shoe, great condition, desirable look. Still, I haven't seen people getting those prices. unless the absolute right buyer comes along, I would guess $75 to $100.

EDIT: just saw the other replies. Just want to add that I buy every pair of pebbled leather longwings I find unless destroyed somehow or crazy expensive. I have them right now from Mason, Dexter, Wright, Florsheim, Hanover, Bostonian and maybe a couple more. As I clean them up, I always put them up on the forum for trade to see if someone wants them before they go to ebay.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014

6. rhz5001

rhz5001 Senior Member

RANT

I am sick of receiving 1/2 of the garments I buy on eBay arriving not as described. We bitch about how hard sellers have it, well I am glad. The sellers who are producing this shit should be punished! I know things slip through the cracks it happens to us all, but literally 1/2.... come on!! [​IMG]

7. Tyrone MacStiophain

Tyrone MacStiophain Distinguished Member

I refer to mine as "Death Hooves". :slayer::slayer::slayer:

8. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Distinguished Member

^^I feel your pain. I'd say at least half of the items I've received this year, aside from shipping supplies or something like that, have been not as described.

Now a rant of my own. Earlier this month, I believe on the same day, I sold a pair of boots for a $150 and a suit for $195. Neither buyer pays. Fine. It happens. The boots sold again yesterday and the buyer requests a cancellation saying that weren't the model that he initially thought they were. [​IMG]. Receive an offer on the suit today and counter. Buyer accepts. He then sends a message saying he hit the wrong button by mistake and wants to cancel[​IMG].

9. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior Member

That sucks. I really enjoy the option to mandate immediate payment with BIN. Obviously this does not apply to accepted best offers, but still nice for the large % that go without an offer.

10. rhz5001

rhz5001 Senior Member

Ohh the trials and tribulations of eBay.. It's nice to see others experiencing the same joy!

I had a guy last week shill bidding against himself on a few of my items... new one to me. If only he paid.. he would be a great customer!

11. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior Member

For those with a basic store, do the 150 free listings apply to fixed price clothing listings? I've read the fine print 50 times and can't seem to come to a definitive answer.

12. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Distinguished Member

Yes. I get 150 free fixed price per month for $20. You can use them as you wish - 10 day, 30 day, good til cancelled (which counts again the next month when it auto-renews). List one item 3 times as 10-day counts as 3. I try to wait until I get a special offer for free auctions before listing as auction but they seem to only come once per month or less often.

13. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior Member

Nice, that bonus alone pays for 75% of the subscription. In general I run 10 day fixed price, so if the re-listings also count, that basically means 50 free for the month, at .30 each that's $15 of the $19.99 cost. I may have to give this a whirl for a month!

14. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Distinguished Member

You may also get offers for free fixed price listings; if so I just end any that don't have a bunch of watchers and relist on the last day of the promotion, to get them back near the top of search results. Plus list more items if I can during that time. The way I calculated it for me - make a $20 profit on a single item and the month is paid for - overly simplistic but I justify it that way.

15. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior Member

Man, I was trying to figure out a decent store name that was not taken, awkwardly clicking back and forth between the attempt page and denial page. I attempted to type in Devoted Style, was glad to get it, started my subscription and realized I had typed Devoted Stye lol. I just went and changed the name of my store to Devoted Style, but the url is still Devoted Stye. Tried to cancel the store and re-open but I'm still going to be billed until 9/1. Guess I'll call ebay on this one unless anyone knows - does changing your store name, change your url?

edit: figured it out!