Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Senior member

I was pretty serious. How effective the DMCA request will be is kind of a question mark. You may want to look into it. If you send it to eBay, they may take down their listing right away. You may have to send it to the actual seller, who could easily ignore the request. I have only dealt with the issue once. I posted a really rare item on eBay and someone stole my exact picture at the same time of my listing (and undercut my price). Because their item had bids, eBay wouldn't permit them to alter the images in the listing. Instead, I took new pictures to solve the issue. It was annoying though.

Because you aren't really going to sue them, the request is merely puffing, unless you can send it to eBay.

Edit: here is a quick google that pulled up this tutorial. The DMCA takedown seems pretty easy (and free alternative)
    http://www.dpreview.com/articles/19...edown-notice-to-battle-copyright-infringement

No idea how legally correct that info is, but thought it would help since you this is a fight in principle that would be worth it to me.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012

2. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Thanks for the link. His auction ends in a day so I don't think it's practical that anything would get done, and I'm pretty swamped with end of the semester work so not sure it's worth my effort :(

later...

:censored:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012

3. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Someone did this to me once and eBay acted very quick.

4. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Senior member

Dude sounds disrespectful. No apology. Never said thanks to you for helping him out. Everything was about "him". He basically admitted that the only reason he was even willing to be finished is because he sold the one he had. If he had more I am confident he would have kept the listing up with your images.

5. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

He is serious. Although eBay is very buyer friendly one thing they don't like is people stealing other people's pictures or listing templates. If someone copies your HTML template and uses it you can get the listings taken down also FYI.

6. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Ok, so for what it's worth, he did change the images now that the item was relisted. I appreciate that at least.

7. calisanfran

calisanfran Senior member

Question...I have never purchased from a non-US eBay site but was thinking of buying an item from Germany (I am in California). Are there any potential charges I should be aware of beyond the cost of the item + shipping? e.g., VAT, customs, etc?

8. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

If they ship by DHL or FedEx you may. Their version of the USPS, probably not. Just ask about shipping charges first, and make sure you are actually able to place a bid - sometimes you cant place it because of requirements.

9. Stewie

Stewie Senior member

CAPS or no Caps? That is the question. Whats the consensus on putting the listing in all caps versus just the first letters in the auction title? Should you have at least one word fully capitalized in the title, or has anyone been truly able to tell if they get more views one way or the other?

10. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I personally don't like the all caps look, and have always capitalized the first letter of each word. I have just begun experimenting with all caps for the brand name, but I have no statistical info yet.

11. hmmurdock

hmmurdock Senior member

+1 definitely not a fan of all caps. If you need caps limit it to name brand only.

12. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

Auction ended Sunday. Excerpts from auction:

Listed in category:
    Clothing, Shoes & Accessories>Women's Clothing>Tops & Blouses

Size (Women's): TB2

New With Tags Thom Browne Blue OCBD Blouse.

Email from buyer:

I'm really sorry but without realizing I won this auction. I thought this was a Thom Browne Size 2 for mens. Is there anyway I can retract my bid and give it to the second user who should've won instead.

13. MZhammer

MZhammer Senior member

Hey guys,

I bought an item on eBay as a BIN, payed via PayPal immediately and received shipping confirmation later that day. A few days later I was asked to cancel the transaction due to the item being "out of stock." I was refunded my payment.

I feel like this was poorly handled by the seller who was selling an item he didn't have and sent shipping confirmation however I did receive a full credit. Although I would much rather have received the item, I did have any loss or harm.

Whats the accepted feedback in this case? I can't rate it positive because I was deceived but is it bad enough to warrant low stars in the item description? I don't want to be an ass about it.

14. grendel

grendel Senior member

Ask them if, since you were inconvenienced, you can get 25% off another item or free shipping. If they have something else you want, that is.

15. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012