1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

If you're certain he was shill bidding, I wouldn't pay in your position. You can drag it out for about 2 weeks if you want and ebay doesn't really penalize you.

2. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

i looked at the transaction history of the shill account, and he only bids on the seller's items and has a history of retracting his bid if it goes above any legitimate bids. i think i can say with 99.9% certainty that it's a shill. not sure why all that information is visible (not really much of an ebayer), but when it's that obvious...

ugh, if it wasn't such a rare piece, i wouldn't even be debating this, but i really really want those boots :foo: SO DIVIDED BETWEEN MY MORALITY AND MY DESIRE TO KOP

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  3. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

10 day Thursday to Sunday is definitely the way to go. Use your time throughout the week to create your new listings and schedule them to start Thursday night (10 days)

1 person likes this.
  4. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

what was the item?

5. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

carpe diem reverse horse backzips. pics are up on sw&d recent purchases. i doubt they'd get any love over on this side of sf

6. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

Here's the link. I think I posted it here a few days ago... or maybe it was on the thrifting forum.

http://pages.ebay.ca/sellerinformation/shipping/trackedpacket.html

Seems a bit like a flat rate service - which I'd welcome - as long as you stay within certain size and weight parameters.

7. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Is the seller by any chance located in The Netherlands??

8. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

9. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

It said he was located in Austria. Why do you ask?

10. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

I'm quite happy tonight because I dodged an ebay fee bullet today. A guy did a BIN on a blazer I had up. He lives in Asia but is in the US for a few more days. He wanted the item overnighted to him at his hotel. I told him I'd get a quote and the invoice I'd issue would be for the item + total shipping. But then he paid before I could issue the invoice. So only the listing's $15 shipping price was covered. It seemed impossible to reissue the invoice without a whole lot of trouble so I just sent him a paypal request for funds for the balance owing. He paid up and the item is on its way.

The BIN was only $69.99 but the shipping was going to be almost double that. So aside from the original $15 I don't have to pay an ebay fee on the ba;ance of the shipping - which would have been a fair chunk of change.

11. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

As far as I know (unless they changed it), you only pay the FVF fee on the least expensive shipping option, no matter what option the buyer selects.

1 person likes this.
  12. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

Thanks for that. It makes sense: the seller shouldn't be penalized if the buyer wants to upgrade service.

13. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

Just make the changes and issue the second invoice. It is no more trouble than issuing the first one.

14. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

The problem was that he settled (paid) the listed amount without waiting for the invoice. At that point I couldn't see any option to (re)issue an invoice in the item pull down menu. There was a Unmark as Paid option. When I did that, no further invoicing option re/appeared.

All's well that ends well.

15. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

Ah, my mistake. I reissued an invoice yesterday but the buyer had not paid.

16. DanM

DanM Senior member

After reading about it here, I finally got Garagesale on my mac to manage ebay auctions.

Wow. [​IMG]

#Protip - get garagesale. If you don't have a mac, get one just for this app. It's un-freaking-believable. My auctions look a million times better.

17. chiron

chiron Senior member

Me too... I dont sell international but i changed my current lisings for this.

18. Steve Papas

Steve Papas Well-Known Member

The combined shipping- import charges are so ridiculously high, that I would never buy or bid on such an item.

1 person likes this.
  19. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

20. chiron

chiron Senior member

What country are you in?