1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. coolarrow

coolarrow Distinguished Member

The full panoply of Regional Rate was available when I printed a label this morning THANKS USPS/EBAY! No need for the workaround.

2. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Distinguished Member

It will depend on how long you are willing to wait. I am guessing you could do $349 BIN/OBO and could eventually sell it for ~$300 might take up to a year. If you want to sell it quick, probably $200 range.

3. FreedBird

FreedBird Senior Member

After pulling $450 for this awfully dated HF piece I will believe anything is possible, thanks for the price guidance. I should still be able to get a decent profit if it doesn't go in that range.

[​IMG]

4. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Distinguished Member

Link to your eBay?

My ideology behind it is, HF sells all day everyday +bright ass colour+full suit =chedda

PRl corn in simple colour pinstripe is meh

5. My Main Man

My Main Man Distinguished Member

so i notice a lot of people ship ties first class. for those that do, what's the cost difference between first class and priority for you? not sure if it's because I live in the center of the country, but I just did a cost comparison and when you factor in the cost of boxes (for first class packages), first class ends up costing me about the same amount of money as priority (free boxes).

6. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Distinguished Member

I'm guessing this had something to do with the celebrity connection. Is that the same one?

7. FreedBird

FreedBird Senior Member

Link is in my signature. That makes sense around those brands. I don't dabble in RL or HF much, but when I see an expensive suit at a good price I won't refuse it.

8. FreedBird

FreedBird Senior Member

Perhaps it being a preachers suit helped, but I pulled $300 for another pretty dated HF suit that sold 2 days after I listed it. I'm kind of kicking myself for some of the other ones I passed on now.

9. sparrow

sparrow Distinguished Member

Not nwt No tags

10. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Distinguished Member

My ties usually cost $2.09 to ship + .25¢ for the box. What priority box are you shipping in? SFR?

11. capnwes

capnwes Distinguished Member

First Class is usually $2.30 total. ($2.01 for postage, and about $0.29 cents per box - including tax and shipping from U-line.)
    First Class Insured would be $4 total, but I only insure ties if they sell for at least $50.

Priority in the same box as above is between $4.87 and $6.11 total, depending on destination, insurance included up to $100 (or $50 depending on your volume)

Small Flat Rate is $5.20, insurance included up to $100 (or $50 depending on your volume)

Even if they are insured, $1.20 may not seem like a huge difference, until you do it 50 times a week.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014

12. My Main Man

Good call. Yeah, I was putting insurance into the equation. But you're right. I sell maybe 10 ties a week and that $1 has been worth it for me as a relatively newish seller to know my stuff is going to get where it's going within 2 days (3 days if it's going to some boondocks-type place). Might start offering up the option for calculated First Class or $5 priority and see how that works out for a while.

13. Koala-T

Koala-T Distinguished Member

I was talking to @txwoodworker the other day, and he is one of the sellers who uses a made up serial number to identify each item so he can package them as he lists them, and identify them by writing that number on the package when it comes time to ship. He mentioned to me that there was a place, using Turbo-Lister where you could enter in your unique identifying alphanumeric number and it would print out on your label, making it that much easier to match label to box. Is there a field in GarageSale that you can do this with? Barring that, is there a place in the actual item edit interface where you could input that unique identifier?

14. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Distinguished Member

Hoo boy - made a nice shipping cost mistake. Figured shipping on an item to be about $20 based on size & weight (bigger than USPS large flat rate)...buyer was from Hawaii, shipping cost was $64. Least I got a $20 discount on postage thru eBay. Lesson learned - if shipping non flat-rate and allowing shipping to AK and HI, add the surcharge!

15. My Main Man

I was wondering this the other day. If you offer free domestic shipping, does that include HI and AK?