Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. FlorianQC

FlorianQC Senior member

I agree with all the previous advices because I actually have the same problems, as a new seller. We don't have a lot of followers so our items are gonna sell for dirt cheap...

However, for an insane blazer like that I would have NEVER made an auction (or else ship it to Spoo and he will do an auction :D). You have to know the value of the stuff too. Those silk-linen are insanely fashionable and the color is awesome (I'm actually searching one myself too - pink or orange or blue - whatever).

All of the above depends on your storage capacity. I have a house and even if my 'photo' room looks like an episode of the hoarders and my gf is killing me all the time, I have lots of room to store! I guess you live in a flat?

2. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

I see that you listed it as a 42 L in your title, but 42 R in the details/description and the tag is 42 R...so maybe that threw off some bidders (I sometimes ask a seller to clarify, other times don't bother and move on).

As someone else mentioned, the photos could use a bit of tweaking - compare and contrast - I like the more expensive one better. [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

But as to your original question, I don't have low-start auctions anymore for that reason - not enough followers to bring in higher sold prices, so I start them higher with a BIN 2x the min bid.
    If it doesn't sell at auction, I'll relist as BIN, or BINOBO, and see what happens. If it's $27 vs. $200, I'd rather wait for the money than make a quick sale...or find a nice middle ground and list as a BIN.

I have a store and do get 150 free fixed-price listings and never use them all, so BIN's are a nice way for me to relist unsold auction items. I pay $20 a month for the store, and if I make a $20 profit on a single item each month, the store is paid for and I have another 149 free BIN's I can list.

3. FlorianQC

FlorianQC Senior member

I don't want to say shit but I think jdrizzy's photos are made with natural light so I guess it's the actual color of the jacket?
    For some reasons it seems that the photos for the more expensive one are made with a 'warmer' light?? Maybe the buyer will be disappointed with the actual item..

4. TheNeedMachine

True dat - hadn't thought of it.

5. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

Nah I use 5k lights, just can't get my lighting correct, also I use a shitty ass mannequin I got when I first started. P. S he asked me if it was okay to resell. I said yes as it moves items for me quicker. I was merely asking whether people preferred auctions Vs bin using that as an example.

As for lights and mannequin, I can't get it to work for the life of me, too many lights results in a faded out, overly bright photo, less light just becomes faded darkness.

6. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

There's your problem. You need something closer to 5000K. [​IMG]

7. FlorianQC

FlorianQC Senior member

Yeah when I was refering to natural light it's 5K or 5.5K (I still need to try it out). I use warm light but my pictures are shit right now so it's not only a matter of lightbulbs I guess :(

Did you try using 'I'm lucky' on Picasa? If you're not a Photoshop or Lightroom geek it works pretty great for a start. You can batch hundreds of photos and Picasa will normally make the colors 'warmer'

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. FlorianQC

FlorianQC Senior member

Lolz... CloseToAbsoluteZero lighting man

9. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

Hey Spoo - Can you please patent the whole bolded descriptive first word for eBay listings? The amount of people jocking your shit is getting comical. Browsing clothes in my size and getting listings for 'INSANE Ralph Lauren Chaps Shirt' or 'BOLD J Ferrar Khaki Pants' is getting silly.

10. KenRose

KenRose Senior member

Or....some of us just learning from the best. Spoo was kind enough to help me with my first eBay listings a few years ago

11. My Main Man

I guess I shouldn't have made it seem like it should never ever be used. I looked through your completed listings and using a descriptor such as stunning when talking about Tom Ford shoes is completely understandable. I'm just laughing to myself as I'm going through listings and seeing all of the run of the mill stuff (and I buy my fair share of run of the mill stuff, not knocking that) that people add words to that make it seem like it's the most special blue dress shirt (or whatever). Like, a solid color polo shirt from Macy's being described as STUNNING is absurd to me unless the color is such a vibrant color that it literally makes you go cross-eyed and dizzy.

12. TheNeedMachine

That's one of my pet peeves as well. And the over-use of "RARE" i.e. to describe some PRL shirt I doubt less than several thousand of which were made.

13. My Main Man

[​IMG]

14. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Quote:

The country in question is Belarus. I just went through and added a bunch of countries to my no-sell list (all of the former SSRs). I just don't think it's right that I can get a defect because some countries have shitty postal systems. I'll be calling Ebay shortly on this one.
    Exactly... When my inventory starts getting overwhelming, I start running a bunch of auctions, as I will be doing later today. I need some of the space and hanger capacity back!

MOST BODACIOUS Vtg 1980s MACY'S Wool Blazer -Size 41R -EUC!!

15. Reosymes

Reosymes Senior member

OK, so I got the 6x3x3 boxes for shipping ties. I'm sure I'm being stupid, but help me out here. Most ties are around 3.75'', and the height of the box is only 3''. Wouldn't that smush the ties when I close the box? And if I put the packed tie lying flat (instead of on its side as shown in the pic) I'm trying to squeeze a 3.75'' width tie into a 3'' space. So, in any case, the tie is getting smushed. And that's when I've yet to put it into a small mailer, which'll take some space too. But I know I have to be wrong because people here have successfully shipped thousands of ties using these very same boxes. So, what am I missing?

[​IMG]