Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

When did this start?

[​IMG]

I have to wait seven days to leave feedback for someone who ships shoes in a bag?

2. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Senior member

The Powerseller color indicates sales volume over the course of a year. $40K+ for silver IIRC.

3. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Ah ok - sounds about right...and now I'm clear on Powerseller status having nothing to do with getting FVF discounts.

4. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Senior member

Actually, it's $36K for silver.

5. McPryon

McPryon Well-Known Member

Good point and I do see that, too. However, there are a few auctions where it specifically states it's "rare" and "expensive" shell cordovan (and frequently described as "cordovan shell") and how it retails for $650 you can get it at a cheap price. Then you look at the picture and it's an old, creased up pair of calf (or not even) shoes.

That's actually nice to hear, maybe I should do the same. I've become pretty cynical towards eBay lately after a handful of crappy experiences like a seller outright trying to screw me, a rash of canceled bids on items because people think they can just end an auction for no reason (usually because it's cross-listed somewhere), and a newbie sending me a pair of shoes with literally no packaging and them shoved into a too-small medium flat rate box (the thinner version).

I should take your experiences in a positive direction and look at it as a way to help sellers who may be new to this complicated world, but it seems like when I do that I get attacked immediately. In fact, I was going to post a few of these auctions, but I think the energy is better spent simply messaging these sellers instead. I guess I'll just try it!

6. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Silver sellers and higher do get Shipping Discounts though.

7. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Hmmm this seems to be saying that I would save even more than a silver or gold seller?

[​IMG]

Because this just showed up on my sellers dashboard yesterday
    [​IMG]

8. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Yes, that's why its a really big deal if you lose the TRS status with the new defect system. If you are a power seller, shipping a lot....you will lose more money by losing the extra shipping discount than you would by losing the FVF discount.

9. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

I'm so not looking forward to the change next month...I am currently at 2.25%...which means I'll need somewhere around 200-225 sales with no issues. And I have a case pending atm...so possibly another 50 would be needed.

10. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I think I read somewhere that there is a 3 month grace period any time you fall below the TRS standard, meaning you have 90 days to turn it around before you lose the discount. I may be wrong.

Plus you have to consider how many will roll off by then, it only looks back 3 months for higher volume sellers.

EDIT: I was incorrect. The grace period is only for cases where you fall below the minimum transaction volume or 90% tracking standard.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014

11. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Ah, that 3 month look back is key! If I can get 3 to fall off, that would put me at 1.92%...so if this holds true, than neutral or negative feedbacks that are older than 3 months will not count against us? A rolling 3 month period means they will be only using our total transactions for those 3 months as well, which will probably increase my percentage [​IMG]

I think I'll only be having 2 fall off. Low detail seller rating, and a neutral feedback were both given in April. August will make that 4 months.

12. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

April already rolled off. We will be talking May roll-offs by then.

Also don't forget, after August 20th we are supposed to be able to call in and dispute any defects that are questionable. I have 4 that I am going to fight.

13. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

Anyone else picking up less slightly damaged items than before because of the new defect system? Found a Prada shirt yesterday that had a little distressing on the collar where the collar stays had rubbed the fabric. Three months ago, I would have picked it up in a heartbeat (and taken photos and described the damage) but I left it because I could just see someone bidding on it and not really paying attention to the warnings and then given me a low star rating or a negative. I guess on a semi-positive note, I'm slowly getting the point where all of my items are near mint and I don't have to describe damages and fear that buyers won't read the listing, which is good for the buyer and eBay as a whole.

14. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Any tips or tricks for a guy looking to start posting CDs from his collection up on the bay? I own around 1300 and looking to sell off most of them but have only sold a few things on ebay before.

15. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Picking up fewer damaged items, yes, but not due to the defect system. Like you, I've gotten far better at spotting damage when initially buying. I have a couple piles of probably 30 or 40 items that need minor mending, buttons replaced, spot-cleaning etc...which I'll never get to. Now I pass unless it's something cheap and pretty nice, with an easily addressed issue.