Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Yea, @jebarne posted this article about a month back, and recently (few weeks ago), I brought it up again for certain buyers who do BIN/OBO. It certainly is an interesting read and learning about the search engines G spots.

Never happened, have been paranoid about it. USPS sends out a confirmation email when the packages are scanned. Now, its been brought to our attention here by @capnwes that the postal workers are being told to scan everything at a later time, and not immediately when picked up. Ive been receiving my emails basically at the end of a work day.

If you want to confirm you packages were at least picked up by the post man, but possibly not yet scanned in yet, you can call your local post office, who is in charge of your zip code, and they will dispatch your driver to confirm pickup for your address. I've done this a few times to check in and make sure.

Yea it sure is frustrating, I still need to ship a trade package and think I'll jus have to use an old eBay transaction to get the RRA option.

2. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

I live in a college neighborhood and so I drop my packages off every time. It helps that my local thrift store which produces treasures quite often is right next door, though.

3. dreamspace

dreamspace Senior member

Well, I actually got the suit today (that I posted about yesterday), and it's nothing but a disaster.

The suit was advertised as size 40R in the ebay auction, and guess what the tag says? 56EU
    Measurements are off by at least an inch everywhere. Shoulders, Chest, you name it.

Then we have the shipping.

Me and the seller agreed twice that he/she would declare down value to 30$, and mark it as a gift. "Sure", "No problem, will do". Guess what it showed up as? Full value and "Merchandise", so there went another 100$ in brokerage and customs fees.

"Excellent Condition"
    Ripped lining.

This is why I almost never bother with Ebay anymore. Too many amateur flippers trying to make a quick buck on selling goods they don't now jack sh%t about.

4. SCoNE

SCoNE Senior member

Two things: 1) Maticliously --> meticulously ("The Difference," bullet number four) and 2) The links on the top of the page seem to have 'dead spots' in them where you cannot click through to the page. (In chrome at least).

5. McPryon

McPryon Well-Known Member

Speaking of amateur flippers, I can't believe how many people are listing "cordovan shell" shoes that are clearly not shell. Part of me wants to send them a message telling them they aren't shell, but then I stop myself because I'm certain I'm heading into a world of hurt. I wonder how many are just ignorant and how many are actually trying to deceive.

6. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

Until I joined this forum, I had no idea what shell cordovan was. I had to google it. I had never seen them in a store until I went to Allen edmonds. Your mall stores typically don't have shell. Even brooks brothers. Had I listed burgundy shoes, I would have used cordovan because when I look at the kiwi can the color says cordovan. Choices are burgundy, ox blood, merlot or cordovan.

So unless a listing says shell, I assume it's a color reference and not some nefarious seller out to hoodwink the uninformed. I know some do.

A seller who lives near me had a pair of NIB Alden for BB cigar shell PTB. He had his BIN set about $20 more than I had gotten the week before for a well used pair. I suggested a title change, and sent him links to Alden's ptb on their site. He raised his price and made almost $150 more than his original asking price.

Point being, he had no idea what shell was and what it was worth.

7. Tweets

Tweets Senior member

That seems to be the case, they finally got scanned about midnight. I'm going to try to figure out some way to conceal packages on my front porch from now on.

8. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

^ I went to a postal drop on Saturday and had the clerk scan the package, but it didn't show up until Monday.

I'm convinced this is a dark art.

9. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

10. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

You might get a discount on FVF's. Mine changed from bronze to silver recently - not sure when or why - but under Account --> Seller Dashboard it shows my silver trinket and discount level, which is currently 20% (and I know I had a discount when I was bronze but not sure how much it was):

[​IMG]

I am 99% certain RSS feeds are only for Store sellers. Everything I've read about it refers to driving more traffic to ones eBay Store (vs. "listings").

Oops - sorry for the repost...guess I glanced over it when posted before, as I didn't know what Cassini was until recently. Guess I should start reading a bit more closely.

I've been lucky on my last few eBay purchases, but overall it's a fricking minefield trying to buy on eBay. That's why I think / hope the new seller defect rates etc will help weed out the crummy sellers.

11. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

So you asked the seller to commit customs fraud on your behalf? Nice.

12. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

You get the 20% discount for being a Top Rated seller and having 1 day handling and a 14 day return policy. I have 2 out of 3 and don't get it (No return policy).

[​IMG]

13. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

Yeah, I was going to point this out too. While it does sound like OP got a bad deal, requesting that any seller fraudulently label their merchandise as a gift or falsify the value is an awful, awful thing to do. If you aren't prepared to pay the fees to get it into your country, don't order it.

14. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Ah, that's right - I always forget what begets what on eBay. I offer 14-day returns because even if I didn't offer returns, I'd still have to take returns.

15. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

Last week, I sent a friendly message to an ebay seller who was describing a pair of calf AE Strands as shell cordovan. I told him they were not shell and directed him to a link which would show the difference. He was appreciative and changed the listing.