Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

I've covered the RR print with the free priority mail stickers as well. I've had the postal worker say out loud "Is this a regional box?" flip it on each side checking for the markings and then appeared to be fine enough with it when he could not "locate" any. I did not answer his question, I just let him do his checking.

2. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Of course I am, I am not doing this eBay thing to support USPS; but my family. My fiduciary duty to them is to find the cheapest shipping method, even to save 38¢. Eventually I would like to sell 100 items a month, saving that per item would add up over the course of a year. Yes it is reductio ad absurdum but if you save 38¢ on every package and ship 1200 a year you would save $456. Wouldn't you rather spend that money on yourself instead of donating it to the Government? That would pay for 4 months of Cross-Fit or 2 years of family membership at our local recreation center. That is a car payment (except for Spoo, it is half of his car payment. Then again he ships more than 100 items a months so he could save a car payment a year).

I worked for a guy when I was a teenager cleaning his apartments when people moved out. One day I had swept everything in the kitchen into a pile, he walked in and reached down and pulled out two pennies. He said you know what kind of person picks up pennies from the ground? Being a smart ass I said a homeless person? He replied "A millionaire" and jumped in his Mercedes drove away and left me with my broom and bicycle.

“Take care of your pennies and your dollars will take care of themselves.”

Did I sound like a pompous ass? Actually I went through my hundred or so priority boxes and realized I only ordered the Regional and Flat rate boxes and have never used or ordered any standard priority boxes. I just ordered one of each size. Now I need to figure out how to store these efficiently and out of the way. And as you can tell from the rambling, tonight has seen one bottle of Ménage à Trois Pinot Noir (Yes I just spent several minutes finding the proper accents for the symbols) disappear into my wine glass.

3. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

I do not have direct experience with this, however, I can tell you that sending non flat rate priority in Flat rate boxes can get them kicked back to you.

4. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

^

That is all very true.

But if I spent 20 minutes trying to figure out how to save 38 cents, Id lose probably $65. Of course, you are 100% right - but as they say, YMMV.

5. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Very true for you, but as a beginner to the eBay game these 20 minute lessons will add up and someday in the future it will be second nature to say "Oh shipping to PA at 1lb 12oz it is cheaper to mail it by weight instead of Regional or Flat rate". I am assuming you went through this thought process long ago as did many of the guys answering the basic questions asked here. That is why I love this thread, you guys shower your wisdom down on those of us just learning the game and we don't have to do as much trial and error that you guys did.

6. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Oh definitely! I think for a few years I sent every package without tracking. International stuff with $1000 sales by first class. LOL. Amazing I lived to see this far. But this was the 90s/00s, it was different. Like the wild west. We would mail cash for crying out loud!

Once, my friend was selling Rolexes and he taught me a lot about high volume sales. This must have been '04 or so. I was at his house one day and the mailman came with a 12x12x8 box. He was pretty excited to see it, so I asked him what he bought. He had me open the box and it was $26,000 in 50s and 100s. I mean…

7. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Ha I remember those days, I was selling Baseball Cards and for the lower value stuff would send cash and the expensive cards would get a money order. Getting $26K in the mail though sound

[​IMG]

8. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Before I figured a lot of this out, I sent a lot of stuff via Medium Flat Rate. I probably wasted a few hundred dollars... Once I started getting serious, I actually researched shipping costs one evening. I literally looked at the pricing structure of USPS services. What I now do is this (some of this will vary depending on what part of the country you live in):

1) If the item is under 13 ounces, the buyer gets a choice between First Class and Priority
    2) If the item is 1-2 pounds, it gets sent Priority.
    3) If the item is over 2 pounds and going somewhere east of Kansas, it goes either RRA or Medium Flat Rate or Priority (if it won't fit in either, but weighs less than 3 pounds) and Large Flat Rate if over 3 pounds and will fit)
    4) I normally charge for shipping, so as not to eat all of the cost. To attract buyers, I some times offer free First Class shipping, or discounted Priority.
    5) The shipping weight is always in the listing. I weigh everything and include the packaging weight in the total weight)

9. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

God this was my first real break since I started eBaying/flipping. Took a week and it's starting to bleed into the second week. The laziness is bad and I hope tomorrow I'll be able to summon the will to get back to work. Made a few sales I was very happy with so I think I'll get back on track immediately.

10. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Hi all, would love your honest feedback on my new site. Still in the development stage but it is going to tie into my ebay store. All of the "wix" stuff would be removed and it would have it's own URL, but any comments/suggestions on the content, layout, etc etc would be great. There is also a mobile version of the site which is very similar but without a lot of the pictures.

http://brianpore.wix.com/tct1

Thanks for the help!

11. rhz5001

rhz5001 Senior member

I think it looks like a well put together site so far.

Is that Boglioli label a Brioni?

I don't do consignment, but I can't get behind your accepted and not accepted items list. The not accepted loro piana label can be found on some very nice high value items. The Brooks Brothers labels in my experience all hold value and some high value depending on size/style. This is based on my experience, but I know nothing about consignment. I just wouldn't want to discredit a garment based on label. Anyway that's my two cents.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014

12. FlorianQC

FlorianQC Senior member

Wtf?

[​IMG]

Is that a bug or eBay decided to promote me lol?!

13. Reosymes

Reosymes Senior member

Great site. I love the Consignment form idea.

Minor nitpicks:

1) The images on the front page are morphing into each other very quickly. If you've seen the landing pages of high end luxury brands you'll notice how much slower their slideshows are. I think it gives them an aura of elegance. I'd choose a different effect of the pictures changing. This one (images getting smaller, turning into a new image) is very videogame-ish. I'd choose a more subtle effect. Also, this is purely my preference, but I think the rows of stars(?) on top of the tabs and underneath the pictures are kind of superfluous. We've seen such a push towards simple design in modern webpages and the stars just seem unnecessary, and make the page look clunky and dated.

2) The 'Our Story' needs to be elaborated, a little more heartfelt/real. You really should be telling a story here. Some typos, but this is a draft so you'll fix that before the site goes live (rapidly, focuses, distracted, favorite). I would move the links to a new tab called 'Helpful links' or something like that. The 'About' page should be all about you and nothing else, imo. The links are a distraction, and give the impression that you're using them as a crutch to make that page more substantial.

3) More typos in other pages.

4) Maybe a solid background instead of a textured one?

That's all I got for now.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014

14. DanM

DanM Senior member

^i've had items with that Loro Piana label sit in my store for ages, while some go out as soon as they are listed. I'd say Brian is trying to simplify the process as much as possible. He may lose out on some valuable items as stated above, but the time savings in streamlining his operations should make up for it.

15. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief