Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

@Lirum photos are looking great, I like the wavy one in the body of the description as well.

2. concealed

concealed Senior member

I grew up in Weymouth, MA. Stetson building is now used as a medical/office building. I actually went to physical therapy on the first floor when I broke my hip snowboarding as a child.

3. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Truth!

I hope I never get used to questions (?) like this one I received this morning:

Quote: I was highly tempted to respond

Quote:

4. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

I received a box of them about 3 months ago, no gaps.

5. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I ordered some yesterday... Hopefully they've fixed them. My last batch (about two months ago) mostly had a gap.

6. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

7. Reosymes

Reosymes Senior member

Not me. That's too pricey for moderate to long distances (though, it would work very well for nearby zones, thanks for the idea!). I just use their regular shoe boxes and go by weight. Maybe I've had a bad streak or something, but being in CA, like 95% of everything I sell has been to zones 7 and above.

https://store.usps.com/store/browse/uspsProductDetailMultiSkuDropDown.jsp?productId=P_0_SHOEBOX

Not sure there's a flat rate box that would fit a shoe comfortably AND be economical all of the time.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014

8. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

I use side loading RRA's for pretty much every SC/Suit combination. I have snuck some very small loafers into the top loading RRA box. Otherwise, shoes generally go in the standard Priority Mail Shoe Box which I'm assuming you already use. I have also used the medium flat rate for some heavier shoes as well that were OK to be in a tight space and distort the box a bit. I'm not a Top Rated Seller at this point, so the cost of a RRB box would not be feasible, even then, I'm not sure they'd fit in the top loading RRB. I am hoping I've missed something, and an unexpected answer pops up regarding RR* and shoes.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014

9. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Became a Power Seller as of today, does that get me anything?

[​IMG]

10. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

+1 about selling in Cali. I always feel that my shoe sales go to the east coast. And if the shoes are 3lb or under costs me roughly 13$ to ship. Anything over 3lb, say gunboats or Florsheim in General, and I'm around 15-17 to ship across the country...sucks sometimes.

11. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Medium Flat Rate fits most shoes I've encounter up to size 11 or so (depending on the shape of the shoe). I think that's $12.35 at full price.

I generally charge for shipping on items heavier than two pounds. Or at least I'll charge the difference between what I'm willing to offer free and what the cost would be to ship that item across the country.

12. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

That showed up for me yesterday too, after 15 minutes of googling and trying to find out if it really mattered I determined I was a "Bronze" and don't really think it gives me any additional discounts. You can go to Account>Seller Dashboard>Close the popup window>Click the Standard Tab>Scroll down and if you're like me you see a Grayed out Powerseller Icon, that says YOU DID NOT EARN A DISCOUNT>Click on the Grayed out Icon>Now you should see your level, mine says:
    [​IMG]

Status until your next evaluation on: Aug 18, 2014
    You are a Bronze PowerSeller

[​IMG]
    Alerts
    Congratulations! You are now a PowerSeller.

I'm interpreting it as, I sold an average of $1,000 a month for three months, therefore eBay is giving me a shiny digital trinket that really has no other benefits/discounts so that I really want to sell more and keep this shiny digital trinket.

13. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

The inside dimension is only 12" on that box so it's hard to use consistently. I gave up on free shipping for shoes and started using the shoe boxes, which I weigh before I list and use calculated shipping. It was taking too long on Sunday night to calculate the shipping 2-3 ways and then repack.

I have some size 9 chukkas in that RRB box but they barely fit. Also, some women's shoes actually fit in RRA.

I bought a pair of longwings for myself from a guy in Phoenix. He shipped them in a frb box. Size 11e. He packed them on their sides 96 style with the soles together. They are 4 5/8 wide and bulged the box, but they were fine.

That said, going to calculated shipping saved me a bunch of time and $$$. Plus, I start everything the same as when I included shipping and it hasn't seemed to matter. The only change I made was to weigh them after photos, note it on my listing sheet and plug it into garagesale up front. I was doing all those things after anyway, but now Sunday comes and I just print and stick. Much faster on back end.

14. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

For those considering calculated shipping, there is also a secret way to add a flat handling fee to each calculated cost. I've only ever found it in the bulk edit listing feature, but then it appeared to stay consistent when I created a new listing through the Sell Similar feature. The buyer doesn't see this additional handling fee, it just shows up automatically in their calculated cost. So you can have ebay calculate cost + $1.00, or whatever X value. I add an extra flat $2 onto international S&H for the additional time it takes in comparison to Domestic.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014

15. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

"A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon." - Napoleon Bonaparte