Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Reosymes

Reosymes Senior member

For Wes, and other people who use little boxes (6x3x3) for shipping ties, is there any problem with wrapping the label around the box? I've read that shrinking the label size to fit small boxes is considered a big no-no with USPS, so wrapping seems to be the only other option.

Thanks!

2. futuremyth

futuremyth Senior member

Got a very nice comment for my hundredth feedback. Minor milestone but I'm proud nonetheless!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

As long as the bar code is flat and scannable, you're fine.

4. Reosymes

Reosymes Senior member

Congratulations. I hope I never become too jaded to enjoy a well-written, heartfelt feedback comment.

5. Lirum

Lirum Senior member

Yeah, I've been using Wes's boxes for about a month now and wrap the label. As long as everything is flat you're set.

6. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

Semi-cautionary tale: I sold a translite (the plastic poster-like artwork) for a pinball machine this past week. I rolled it up and put it in a tube. I put the label on the tube vertically and dropped it off at the post office with a few other packages. The next day, for whatever reason, I checked the tracking and noticed that it hadn't been updated, while all the other ones had. I went to the post office and asked them if they knew what happened and then they asked how I put the label on. I told them and they said that on tubes, if you put the label on like I did, the scanner has a very hard time reading the label. Basically, it skews the barcode which would have been flat had I put it on the other way. Not sure if that makes sense, but if anyone ever ships anything in a tube, make sure you think about if a scanner will be able to read the barcode.

The package eventually showed up as delivered, but it could have been more of a hassle.

7. ReubenR

ReubenR Senior member

Just a head's up for anyone who's bought a tie recently from the eBay seller MBIUHouston, it looks like things have gone pear-shaped with their account, lots of feedback complaining about slow replies, significant shipping delays and items not being delivered plus their store has gone from having thousands of ties listed to none. You may want to check on the status of your purchases and consider opening a case.

Edit: Apparently I missed the message on their store homepage:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014

8. Lirum

Lirum Senior member

Thanks for the heads up. They've been slow in the past, but this is definitely longer than normal.

9. Lirum

Lirum Senior member

lol, minutes after I post this, I get shipping on everything.

10. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

[​IMG]
    Vacation begins Monday. Thrifting in the Norhteast for the next two weeks.

11. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

As others have said, the excess blank space at the bottom wraps underneath, the barcode and address are nicely displayed, and then the square scannable thing area folds nicely over the top. Only pro-tip I've learned the hard way is however you make notes on the box, make it on the top or bottom which will be covered by the label, not the side, because they don't stack well standing up, need to be laying on their flat sides.

12. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

13. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

14. capnwes

capnwes Senior member