Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

I took close to 300 photos last night. How do some of you do that several times a week? Serious question: do you wear sunglasses? My eyes were bugging out from being in such crazy lighting for several hours.

2. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

I've never shipped to Australia, so I figured the shipping was roughly as much as shipping to Europe. Eh, whatever.

3. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

It is a lot of pictures no doubt, but it just has to be done! I usually put on some music, and get rollin. By the time I'm done, I'm covered in sweat from all the movement. I don't stop for anything.

70$ is expensive, what service or option did you use?

4. FlorianQC

FlorianQC Senior member

Just send as 'small air packets' without delivery confirmation and whatever :D I do that all the time and I've been lucky. I calculated it's better to charge the minimal price every time and have a worldwide basis of customers and maybe one day someone will fuck me over and claim 'item never received' and blablabla. Refund, eat the cost of shipping + original item price...

I've shipped surface (boat) to Brazil without DC, Honk Kong, Switzerland, Australia, Russia, Colombia etc... It's just fun :D Only 5 stars feedbacks for those...
    This is also 'thinking like a customer' : why would ANYONE pay 40$ for a jacket and then 40 or 50$ for air delivery with confirmation? People just want the cheapest alternative...
    Especially us bro, in Canada. Whenever I buy some stuff I always ask if it's possible to ship First Class, cheapest and slowest way I don't care. 90% of the time people accept it.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014

5. concealed

concealed Senior member

lesson learned, eat it.

6. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

That's a great idea. Do the exact opposite of what every truly successful seller on this board says to do.

7. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

Yah currently eating :lol:. I didn't even have international shipping as an option. oh well.

8. My Main Man

I actually really love taking pictures, but the lights get to me fast. I either throw on some music or else I put on a brainless movie I've seen 1000 times (Wayne's World) or whatever sitcom pops up first on Netflix and go nuts.

9. FlorianQC

FlorianQC Senior member

You gotta take a leap of faith sometimes no?? ;) I have to admit I don't take flipping as a business but more a hobby.

But more seriously, you guys live in the US and the shipping costs are nowhere near what we have here. Selling from the US and from Canada are two different things! And for expensive items I do pay for Delivery Confirmation :p

10. futuremyth

futuremyth Senior member

I have all my listings set up with worldwide calculated postage using Tracked Packet and Xpresspost. If people contact me asking about cheaper postage options, I check out their feedback, feedback left for others, and length of time on the site, and if it all looks good, offer them Small Packet Air (no tracking, 1.5-2 weeks delivery time), which is usually < 1/3 the price outside of North America. I'm happy to offer cheaper options but I won't use it as the default. Too many people expect tracking and are willing to pay for it.

11. FlorianQC

FlorianQC Senior member

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get burned by a buyer some day... I mean, it's bound to happen, statiscally, I know it. Then I guess I'll begin to change my views on shipping and do as you do, fellow Canadian ;) But I'm 100% sure that high shipping costs would hurt my low-priced sales (I don't find Kitons and Brionis that often so I have low-priced items) and in the meantime, I'm also building an international customers base, which I truly like, no matter the 'danger'. That's where the fun is, for me. Last time I told my girlfriend 'you remember that Versace shirt? that dude in Australia who got it for just 39.99+9.99 just received it and he loves it. Same thing with that Swiss guy who asked for surface shipping to keep the cost to the lowest! 14$+8$ for a Paul Smith shirt bro!!

12. Tyrone MacStiophain

Tyrone MacStiophain Senior member

I "watched" almost an entire season of Bob's Burgers while shooting shirts and jackets last night. I may kill myself if I have to hear those same ads on Hulu again.

13. My Main Man

I watched Scrubs. I loathe Zack Braff (aka Ray Romano Jr.) but I love a lot of the other characters. It's a great show to sort of tune in and out of. John McGinley and Neil Flynn are great. I always assumed I'd 100% hate the show because of ZB but I ended up being wrong.

14. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

:fistbump:

15. Reosymes

Reosymes Senior member

+1. Australia's an e-delcon country, too, so even priority international (cheaper option) should provide tracking all the way.

Edit: Nevermind, you're in Canada so this doesn't apply. Sorry.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014