1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Well yesterday was the one and only time I’ve managed to make a sale with OBO. The buyer has just backed out because he reckons shipping is too expensive (he didn’t ask beforehand) so I have now ended the auction early when it had watchers, all for a non-paying bidder. Sorry, I still think it sucks.

2. borbor

borbor Senior member

gonna try more auctions and see if the speed at which I unload stuff will be faster.

last year I almost did exclusively binobo.

3. SCoNE

SCoNE Senior member

How is that endemic to OBO? Was shipping cost not listed? (Edit: I see you're in Aus. So that gets a bit tricky I suppose.)

Use your auto-decline function liberally. Before I accept an offer, I check feedback. If there's anything that's not glowing, I weigh that versus the offer as a sort of screening. Most of what I am selling now has been OBO. I principally use auctions for 'safe' items only--think Hermes ties.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
    2 people like this.
  4. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

It will depend how you run your auctions. If you go $9.99 NR of course its going to be faster, even if you go on the low end of selling prices $19 or $29 it will be faster, but if you have the opening bid of $75 or 80 on a Brooks Brothers suit, etc you may find many items dont get bids at all and with less views. The difference is that they will usually sell for less at auction, but sell faster (sort sold items high to low, exclude what Spoo sells and see if auctions or BIN are on the top in general). Like life there is a trade off time/money. It's very hard to have fast selling items sell for top dollar.

2 people like this.
  5. California Dreamer

Do you really think it’s practical to list shipping costs for every country on earth? Come on.

I list domestic shipping and shipping to the USA, these being the most common. I quite clearly state that people from other countries should ask me for a quote before bidding.

The auto-decline would not have helped at all in this instance, since it doesn’t know the buyer is a deadbeat.

Don’t make this about me. I’m a good and careful seller, but I’m fed up with people who jerk me around.

6. SCoNE

SCoNE Senior member

Did you read my edit? I'm not trying to call you out on anything here. I'm just saying that the guy probably would have done the same thing even if it wasn't obo. I don't doubt you're a good and careful seller, but eBay and it's delightful buyers also make patience and thick skin important qualities.

7. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

2 people like this.
  8. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

@SpooPoker this guy pre-death? Still not sure how you can tell the age besides just having them all memorized [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Nice one, its probably borderline on the cusp. Id call it late 90's.

1 person likes this.
  10. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

4 people like this.
  11. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Senior member

I know nothing about Red Wing boots. I bought these probably close to a year ago, and thinking they weren't much of a "thing", threw them in the closet, into the "I'll get around to them eventually" pile. They ended tonight with 520 views and over 50 watchers. I know about the Irish Setters, but what's so great about these?[​IMG]

12. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Lol that's happened to me once, and nothing bad came of it. Hope it works smooth for you.

13. thefastlife

thefastlife Senior member

eBay annoys the FUCK out of me. they auto select international shipping option where i ship to the shipping center.

i didn't remember to uncheck this on an auction that just ended and i have 0 desire to do this.

is there any way i can cancel the sale?

and why is it always auto selected?

14. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

i'm guessing this doesn't work for Aus, but I have calculated shipping on all my international. Someone from x country is browsing my auctions, if they are signed in, they see their shipping cost for their country.

15. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Don't know if this was answered or not, but you put everything in the same quotes but you separate the items with commas. This brings results for everything searched within the quotation marks. Hope this helps.

16. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Usually when you enter your method of shipping it adjusts to where the person is viewing it. You don't need to enter every country, you just need to enter how your going to be sending the item, eBay makes the costs adjustments for you. That or Global Shipping Program.

EDIT: Saw that this was stated a couple hours ago, my bad.

17. classicthrifter

classicthrifter Senior member

I'm just working through international shipping now. I had a buyer from AUS who had me thinking about starting to ship international. Right now I'm U.S. only and have free shipping on all of my items.

How do I change my listings so they still can have free shipping in the U.S. and true cost calculated shipping for every other country I ship to. For instance, to ship Priority to AUS it looks like it is going to be about $24 bucks. I changed 1 specific listing for this guy so he can purchase the item.

Thanks!

18. California Dreamer

This situation is getting worse, and I need some advice.

The buyer is still refusing to pay, but he wants me to cancel the transaction rather then report him as a non-paying bidder. He claims he will pay if I force the issue.

I have two concerns about this:

1. If I as the seller cancel the cancellation, it looks like my decision and that I have been the one to back out after agreeing to the sale. It is possible that this may be held against me by eBay and could result in a defect on my selling record that will last for a year.

2. If I make the guy go through with it, he may complete the transaction and then give me negative feedback. I will have little comeback against him if he does that, as eBay may not agree to remove the feedback.

What do you think I should do in this situation?

TIA

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  19. classicthrifter

classicthrifter Senior member

You have the entire conversation documented in the eBay message system?

You have the option to cancel the sale, You want to choose the option that puts the responsibility on the buyer.

[​IMG]

You can test the screens out before actually committing to it.

I've cancelled about 3 items with the "Buyer asked to cancel" option with no defects or negative impact on me. It allows the former buyer to back out somewhat gracefully. I chalk it up to better customer service for the buyers who have made the occasional mistake.

If we force the sale we risk a negative feedback.

eta: buyer vs. seller above (Bolded)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  20. California Dreamer

Thanks for that. i’ve done as you recommended, and also added this guy to my block list.

1 person likes this.