Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  2. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

This I didn't know, plus the consignment thing makes perfect sense, was not advocating either way.

3. Brianpore

4. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

I think I'm going to at least remove hassle free returns

5. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

[​IMG]

6. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

I thought you had to accept returns in one form or another in order to have TRS status. However, I know that both Brian and Spoo have no return policies, and they are TRSs, so I'm confused.

7. Brianpore

8. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

On the hassle free returns conversation.....

I had a hassle full free return this weekend. It was the guy who wanted to cancel his tie purchase because he thought it had Roman symbols that were against his religion.

I agreed to cancel the transaction and sent him the cancelation request. He then proceeded to pay for the tie anyway. I sent him a message asking if he had changed his mind/why had he paid for the tie. Bound by my 24 hour handling, I shipped the tie the next day after not hearing from him. He received the tie and opened a return as "item defective" "Roman symbols against my religion".

So we are talking $2 restocking fee, and $2 shipping that he is saving himself by lying. I could care less about the $4, but the defect could cost me much more in the long run .

Next, I clicked the "report a buyer" link on the return page. I indicated that he was abusing returns and entered my comments in the field provided. Moments later I received an email from eBay asking me to call in at my earliest convenience to talk about what was going on...(new feature I guess). The rep told me that there is still no software for the removal of defects, and that they are all pushing for one. They are hoping to have something in place by the time the new defect system rolls out in August. She did, credit my account $4...which is basically worthless.

IMPORTANT
    She also told me that once the new defect system rolls out and a new defect removal plan is in place, we will have to call in and discuss each disputed defect that has occurred over these last couple months. Like the ones returned for "defective" because the buyer didn't like the color, or it didn't fit. They will be reviewed on a case by case basis at that point and adjusted accordingly.

It's not the end, keep calling in and fighting your defects, and press for removal of unfair defects. The more noise we make the better.

9. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I'm pretty much on track for it, depending on how much being gone for two months out of the year affects me.

As to your points about returns, my sales went up substantially after I opted into hassle free returns. But I also got serious about this not long before that, so that wasn't the only factor.

10. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Can we see the offending tie?

11. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

The return costs don't bother me - it's a 10~ dollar drop in 1k profit. The defects are what makes it a fucking hassle. If the resolution is happy between both the customer and the seller I don't see why defects are necessary. The guy who claimed hole just left me positive feedback.

12. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

Had the same conversation as Wes over a BS return, got a credit for the shipping (return shipping only), person said they have no method to remove defects yet. I think as long as the defect stays a % and not an absolute number, it's not going to impact much (unless it lowers your "best match" search standing). Even with my sales of <50 items/week on average, I'm nowhere near the 2% limit for top rated. There's certainly a good argument for and against the returns system, I wouldn't be surprised if the bay keeps pushing ppl towards the system since it's in their best interest customer base wise, and it doesn't cost them anything. Could make it harder for consignment sellers, the system would work if you made people wait the return period to get their commission.
    When you accept a return w/o the managed return process, do you get your FVF from ebay? I know you get your $ back from PP.

As long as I have this place to vent, I'll be OK.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  13. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

Lower defect = better placement in Best Match

14. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Senior member

Yes. You just have to manually open a case to cancel the transaction.

15. rhz5001

rhz5001 Senior member

[​IMG]

x2

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014