Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

2. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

I've had two cases open recently for item not described or item defective. One of them is for a tie delivered over two weeks ago. Seems really weird they'd just open a case now and I have a buyers remose-y feeling.

3. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I just had an item not received case for something I shipped on April 27th to a country that used to be part of the Soviet Union. Tracking shows that it processed through Los Angeles. Do I need to worry about this?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  4. Brianpore

Call ebay for a final answer but 99% sure the limit is 45 days from the sale date.

5. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

[​IMG]

What would you call this color?
    Rust?

6. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

How many cases of item not described can you get?

7. Jurgis

Jurgis Well-Known Member

I think it's really good to try to develop a "signature look" to your photos -- something that can be easily recognizable while browsing without having to read the title. It makes your listings jump out to new buyers, and especially to repeat customers. It differentiates you from the legions of mannequin shots. Showing the buttons and weave is useful, too, not just an eye-catcher. this look nails it, and makes me want to buy!

8. Brianpore

Its a percentage based on a number of factors and also depends if you are cut off or lose top rated status etc... I dont know exact but all the info is under you account tab to show you how many cases you have, the percentages, how many more you can have, etc etc

9. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

10. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

That tie is fucking gorgeous. Sell it to me.

11. Brianpore

Crappy, but hence why I dont accept returns. Counting the boxes, there is about 1 box off left vs. right but do not think it would be 1/8" more like 1/16"

I think (correct me if I'm wrong) the reason people select defect is that they dont have to pay return shipping & no restocking fee for items that are defective...right?

12. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

Correct. I think I'm gonna call eBay about all 3. One claims hole, one claims pulls (this is the two-ish week old one) and one is the one mentioned above. The one with the supposed hole is an e-thrift so I'm gonna compare the return to the pictures I and the person I bought it from have to see if it's a fake.

13. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

This week I had the same "item defective" i.e. I don't want to pay anything for something that doesn't fit, don't want, wife doesn't like, etc, etc... BUT 20% off FVF of 9% ebay fees, saves 1.8% of revenue. So if you sell $100,000/yr in stuff, that's $1800 in savings. I've had 2-3 of these total BS returns, they cost me shipping both ways (this most recent one cost me $20). I have a 10% restocking fee that I charge most of the time, so I'm making up for the extra handling on those returns. Add to that the impossible to figure out % of people that feel more comfortable bidding more/buying something from you VS someone that doesn't take returns and I'm calculating that I'm coming out ahead financially, and that's what it's all about.

If you don't take returns, and someone wants their money back, they're getting it anyways, eBay will make sure, so the same people that will put "item defective" as a reason to return can do it to someone that doesn't take returns, correct?

14. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

In short, yes. You take returns whether or not you take returns.

15. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

My concern is the defect. I don't care about the one-off buyers I can block after.