Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Lirum

Lirum Senior member

Have an APO buyer whose address ebay is telling me is invalid when I go to print a label. I've been through this process with armed forces once before, and know I need a specific customs form with in person PO stamp, etc, but what should I do about the address having a, 'street name not recognized for this country'? I loose protection if I change the address (and after spending some minutes jumbling the address, it still doesn't take anyways), which makes me wary, and it's likely that if I send a message to the guy he won't know what to do. Not a situation where the buyer entered an old address; I figure this guy would insist that his address is correct.

wat do? Figure I'd ask before I message the guy later today.

2. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

+1, sell some paper clips for a penny with free shipping to get some random sales.

I think I am going to be running a couple hundred penny auctions soon to help counter balance my defect rating and get me back up to top rated...things eBay makes us do...really pissed about it.

3. michaelvl

michaelvl Senior member

Think I am actually going to have to resort to what you guys are suggesting. :brick:
    Thanks for the tips gents!

4. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Might not work...depends on what limits you have on your account. Men's Shoes has a category limit, in which you're limited to selling a certain amount (money-wise and number of items listed). See this page for more info, how to see what limits you have, and how to get limits raised.

5. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

I had this happen and ended up canceling the sale and refunding the buyer...I couldn't get the address recognized when buying postage via eBay, and the buyer insisted it was correct and to just ship it to the address listed (which, of course, you can't do since eBay will say it's not recognized). Buyer said he'd had several things shipped to him from eBay sellers, but the sellers had to hand-address it and ship at their local USPS in person. It was a higher-priced item and I didn't want to lose the seller protections, so I took the ding on the sale cancellation.
    Now that I think about it, you may not lose the protections if you bought postage in person and uploaded the tracking #, but there wouldn't be an online electronic trail from point A to point B so it's possible you would.

6. michaelvl

michaelvl Senior member

Hmm, I am going to try it anyway, see how far I get. Thanks for the info.

7. KenRose

KenRose Senior member

send me a PM when you have listed and I'll buy something. As several style forum members were kind enough to do for me.

8. michaelvl

michaelvl Senior member

Will do, thanks in advance.
    I really appreciate your offer! :slayer:

9. Reosymes

Reosymes Senior member

10. thefastlife

thefastlife Senior member

My piece of shit mailman again forgot to pick up my packages today. This is at least the 5th time overall and twice in a row for this same batch

11. SchoolyardBully

SchoolyardBully Senior member

You didn't leave cookies out like the other forum members suggested?

12. thefastlife

No. This is his job.

13. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Call your local post office, get ahold of management, and they will gladly solve the problem for you. They make their drivers turn around, and get them. I've had this problem in the past, because we do not have a designated route, and random daily drivers deliver our area until one is assigned. This has caused a few problems in the past, but now everything seems to be clicking after a few calls to the local office. Try that, and let us know!

14. thefastlife

Thanks dude. Eagerly awaiting a flaming bag of poo on my doorstep lol!

15. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

This blows my mind, My mailman told me they get a small bonus for every package they pick up with pre-paid postage.

However, she also told me that the postmaster told her last week that she is not supposed to be scanning the packages when she picks them up. Which means that they would not be scanned until after they left our post office and arrived at the next stop, Harrisburg or Philly. Theoretically they could get lost between here and there and look like I never shipped them, voiding any insurance coverage or Seller Protection. She told me she is still going to scan them for me unless she gets in trouble for it. I can see this causing trouble for sellers across the country who offer 24 hour or same day shipping when it comes to the new TRS 90% uploaded and scanned rule.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014