Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Tweets

Tweets Senior member

How to deal with this issue...Sold things that ended last sunday, buyers took a day or two to pay, 2 returns initiated Friday, neither shows as shipping yet....

I leave on vacation on Saturday for a week, and I usually have the post office hold my mail for the week, am I ok not to initiate a refund if they are not here this week and wait until I'm back another week and get all my mail?

2. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

You should be fine. Are you using the "hassle free return" system through eBay? If so, eBay usually gives you up to 7 days from when the item shows return delivered, for you to make the refund. If the packages are shown "delivered" the Monday after you leave, you should (call eBay, double check) have till the following Monday to initial the return. And any day after that works in your favor as it will extend the refund deadline.

3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Posting up the "tombstone" for my recently deceased D40… 265,000 shots, I think she had a good life. :(

Check yours at www.myshuttercount.com - thanks to Wes for the tip.

[​IMG]

4. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Very Respectable!

5. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

6. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

I'm only hovering around 30k. 90% of that had been taken in the last 6 months. I sure hope my camera makes it to a quarter mil before needing to purchase another!

Any maintainance u guys do on the body or lenses, to help prolong life? I wonder if local camera shops have a service...

7. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I honestly don't think there's much you can do. If the shutter/lens craps out, the maker can repair it sometimes, but if you're already a few generations through then you might as well upgrade.

From: http://www.pixsy.com/how-to-check-canon-shutter-count/

• Canon 30D: 128,908 actuations on average before death.
    • Canon 5D: 48.1% survive 557,000- 876,000 actuations. The average camera died after 389,187 actuations.
    • Canon 450D (Rebel XSi): Only 38,995 actuations on average before shutter failure. Canon rates this model at 100,000, which clearly isn’t the case.
    • Canon 1Ds Mark III: 730,7645 actuations (note: only 42 data points)

I have an xsi, so I guess I should be worried, but I don't use it ALL that much. It maybe has like 20k at max right now over the last like 4 years.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014

8. Melbush

Melbush Senior member

I won an Undercover (new with tags) tee for a very low price (auction starting at 0.99, no reserve so he had it coming) a week ago, paid immediately and did not get any news. I just saw that the guy refunded me because he "just found this tee actually had a stain on it. apologies!"
    I think the guy is just pissed it didn't sell for the price he was expecting, his story just doesn't make sense. What are my options?

9. Brianpore

IMO if it was sooo cheap and you want to take the risk, tell him you will take it with the stain, and repay...Im sure he will say something like he already donated it/ threw it out, etc but besides that you dont have many options. Sellers are not forced to send items, but that's what feedback is for if you had a bad buying experience. DO NOT threaten to leave bad feedback, just do it if you must.

10. michaelvl

michaelvl Senior member

I have an eBay account since 2003 and have 100% feedback from 98 transactions. I have sold only about 4 items via eBay, and have only 4 feedback as a seller. I am located in the Netherlands.

My problem is that I have a number of luxury items (mainly Edward Green shoes) that I would like to offer internationally. In order to offer items internationally eBay requires one to have 10 sales to their account. I don't have any items to offer that appeal to the local market to get the 10 sales I require to offer be able to sell internationally. Offering the items locally isn't really an option because there is no real market for the shoes here in The Netherlands.

Any suggestions how I can solve this issue?

11. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

Consignment.

12. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Do I get any special protections/insurance if I make an ebay sale through the ebay global shipping program? I sold a suit and the buyer received it with a pocket seam separating. Usually, I would offer $20 to get it repaired by a tailor. But don't know if this kind of stuff is covered by any insurance via ebay global shipping. I would think that it would be cost prohibitive for him to send it back to me. Probably more than the cost of the suit.

13. Brianpore

14. Brianpore

Well my first question would be, did you ship it with a pocket seam seperating? If so then you should send him some cash for the repair or take a return if its an issue. If the item was in good condition when you shipped then it happened after he got it. In neither scenerio can I see how the shipping company insurance would be at fault. They got the item where it was going as they are tasked with doing.

15. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

I'm not sure about the pocket seam separating, and I'm awaiting proof via pictures. Not 100% sure but it is a personal suit and I would have noticed this but it has been a while since I wore the suit.